Should Joe Biden drop out megathread?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 04:27:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should Joe Biden drop out megathread?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Should Joe Biden drop out megathread?  (Read 6759 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2024, 02:04:19 PM »

If this is what Obama is going to sling to the public, shame on him.  He's responsible for this disaster in large measure, in that he (A) knows full well where Biden is really at, cognitively, and (B) has allowed the present scenario to unfold to where (C) the entire World (including our enemies) know the cognitive dysfunction of our current President.  It also reinforces the idea that Obama is somehow a Shadow President and we are living through Obama's 3rd term.

This gaslighting by Obama (and that's what it is) ought to be met with the sternest rebuke imaginable. Obama is the person who could have done the most to prevent this situation of having a President who appears to have dementia, but he didn't, and it's fair to ask how he, Obama, is benefitting from this.  It's hard for me to view Obama's comments about Trump here as nothing but projection, especially in the "lies through his teeth for his own benefit" part of his X post.  Obama is lying and gaslighting here.  If the Democratic Party's prominent pols can't call this out, it says something for their collective integrity and their intentions for the American people.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2024, 02:05:14 PM »

If this is what Obama is going to sling to the public, shame on him.  He's responsible for this disaster in large measure, in that he (A) knows full well where Biden is really at, cognitively, and (B) has allowed the present scenario to unfold to where (C) the entire World (including our enemies) know the cognitive dysfunction of our current President.  It also reinforces the idea that Obama is somehow a Shadow President and we are living through Obama's 3rd term.

This gaslighting by Obama (and that's what it is) ought to be met with the sternest rebuke imaginable.  Obama is the person who could have done the most to prevent this situation of having a President who appears to have dementia, but he didn't, and it's fair to ask how he, Obama, is benefitting from this.  It's hard for me to view Obama's comments about Trump here as nothing but projection, especially in the "lies through his teeth for his own benefit" part of his X post.  Obama is lying and gaslighting here.  If the Democratic Party's prominent pols can't call this out, it says something for their collective integrity and their intentions for the American people.  

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2024, 02:12:58 PM »

This gaslighting by Obama (and that's what it is) ought to be met with the sternest rebuke imaginable.  Obama is the person who could have done the most to prevent this situation of having a President who appears to have dementia, but he didn't, and it's fair to ask how he, Obama, is benefitting from this.  It's hard for me to view Obama's comments about Trump here as nothing but projection, especially in the "lies through his teeth for his own benefit" part of his X post.  Obama is lying and gaslighting here.  If the Democratic Party's prominent pols can't call this out, it says something for their collective integrity and their intentions for the American people.  

I don't have to imagine.  Nor do millions of millions of Americans have to imagine this.  Obama is not being straight with them.

My posts here on Biden's cognitive decline can be deleted as "excessive hyperbole", but the memories of millions of undecided voters over what they saw from Biden can't be deleted so easily.  And given what has been seen by all of America, calling them excessively hyperbolic is little more than gaslighting for political purposes.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2024, 02:13:44 PM »

Biden is the Democratic nominee. That’s the reality. Don’t like it? Too bad, maybe Democrats should’ve tried to talk him into not running again back in 2022, or nominated someone else in 2020.

He hasn't actually been nominated yet. That said, I don't think the will of (the admittedly very few) people who participated in the Democratic Primary process should be overturned.

Now, if he chooses to step aside himself, that's different. I hope he does but it probably isn't likely.

I meant to say that he’s clinched the nomination and obviously it would be political suicide for Democrats to try and pick someone else at the convention.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2024, 02:15:37 PM »

Honestly, Obama does deserve some blame. Under his administration, he let the party be completely destroyed downballot, resulting in Democrats having an extremely weak bench going into the 2020 election.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2024, 02:17:59 PM »

Honestly, Obama does deserve some blame. Under his administration, he let the party be completely destroyed downballot, resulting in Democrats having an extremely weak bench going into the 2020 election.

This. Obama was not very popular on Capitol Hill, possibly less so among Democrats than Republicans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2024, 02:22:04 PM »

Which explains why the debate performance of Thursday night was horrible and his rally in North Carolina yesterday was excellent.

A true unenforced error by the Biden team, and whoever authorized the debate and its rules needs to be taken out and hung to dry.

I will acknow it's not having seen the debate, but what was it about the format that caused the problem? Sounds like Biden pooped the bed all in his own.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2024, 02:30:55 PM »

I don't have to imagine.  Nor do millions of millions of Americans have to imagine this.  Obama is not being straight with them.

My posts here on Biden's cognitive decline can be deleted as "excessive hyperbole", but the memories of millions of undecided voters over what they saw from Biden can't be deleted so easily.  And given what has been seen by all of America, calling them excessively hyperbolic is little more than gaslighting for political purposes.

You support Trump who, unlike Biden, has a brain that (such as it was in the first place) is increasingly turning to mush.  Respectfully, you’re in no position to talk to anyone about mental decline or gaslighting for political purposes.  Biden’s presentation has badly declined, but aside from the “beat medicare” and abortion-immigration word salad (which were awful, no getting around that), his substance was fine if less than ideal.  Trump was very calm and spoke confidently, but hardly said anything true all night, simply made up a bunch of random crap as he went (had the moderators done their jobs and fact checked the candidates, it would’ve been a very different debate dominated by Trump arguing with the moderators), and his substance was often nonsensical.  If you and I each read verbatim the words our respective candidates said at the debate, Biden would be considered the runaway winner by anyone listening despite some stumbles.  It’s simply his delivery that has badly declined.  Trump by contrast is a withered shell of his former self mentally and the lights upstairs were always dimly flickering at best for Trump even in past decades.  
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2024, 02:49:29 PM »

I meant to say that he’s clinched the nomination and obviously it would be political suicide for Democrats to try and pick someone else at the convention.
Continuing down the path to certain defeat is political suicide. Obviously somehow trying to challenge Biden for the nomination at the convention will not work, he needs to be convinced that he should withdraw from the race ASAP.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2024, 03:48:22 PM »

The choice here is going down with the ship, or trying, no matter how futile, to correct course.

I will always choose the latter.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2024, 04:50:08 PM »

I will acknow it's not having seen the debate, but what was it about the format that caused the problem? Sounds like Biden pooped the bed all in his own.
Based on the clips I saw (I didn't watch the debate), he would often sound incoherent, freeze up, go on tangents, not finish his train of thought, and make flubs like "We finally beat Medicare".

A lot of this stuff Biden has done before, but doing it at the debate was the worst time to do so. Also, his voice being hoarse made things look and sound worse.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2024, 04:57:47 PM »

Obama restraining Biden from running in 2016 was his worst sin, imo.  Biden in 2016 would have had a decent chance of winning the primary imo, and would have beaten Trump. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »

You support Trump who, unlike Biden, has a brain that (such as it was in the first place) is increasingly turning to mush.  Respectfully, you’re in no position to talk to anyone about mental decline or gaslighting for political purposes.  Biden’s presentation has badly declined, but aside from the “beat medicare” and abortion-immigration word salad (which were awful, no getting around that), his substance was fine if less than ideal.  Trump was very calm and spoke confidently, but hardly said anything true all night, simply made up a bunch of random crap as he went (had the moderators done their jobs and fact checked the candidates, it would’ve been a very different debate dominated by Trump arguing with the moderators), and his substance was often nonsensical.  If you and I each read verbatim the words our respective candidates said at the debate, Biden would be considered the runaway winner by anyone listening despite some stumbles.  It’s simply his delivery that has badly declined.  Trump by contrast is a withered shell of his former self mentally and the lights upstairs were always dimly flickering at best for Trump even in past decades.  

To say that Biden is less cognitively impaired than Trump is nonsense.  99% of the time you're one of the more reasonable left-of-center posters here, but on this issue you would be embarrassing yourself if your audience was a group of independent and undecided voters.

The issues surrounding Biden's cognitive decline aren't new, and they aren't made up; mainstream Democrats have been well aware of them.  If Biden were as cognitively fit as you say, he would take an honest test of his cognitive state by a non-political doctor and a non-political clinical psychologist and this matter would be put to rest.  If I were Biden and I knew this was mere politics and unfounded accusation, I would get all the necessary tests and put this thing to rest beyond question, not just for political purposes, but because the American people, all of them, have a right to know if their President is cognitively fit for the job of being President.  Biden (or someone with influence on Biden) obviously thinks otherwise.  It's not too late for him to take such tests, and it's not too late to release the video of the Hur recording, so it's telling that no such reversal of position is forthcoming.

I have a very different opinion of Biden from you.  I believe that his Administration has been a dismal failure.  Some of this is based on policies you and I would disagree on.  But he's not done the two (2) things he was elected to do; he's not "been normal" and he hasn't "stopped the chaos" (to reference Rep. Abby Spanberger D-VA).  He has reinforced tribalism in our politics and ushered in destructive social change by executive fiat, to say nothing of his irresponsibility on border security.  His Afghanistan withdrawal was hardly a shining moment, given the execution, and while he may not have planned that himself, he didn't fire the people who DID plan it (assuming he didn't).  I preferred that another Republican be the nominee this year, and while I consider the charges against Trump to be ridiculous (all of them), I recognize that there is a huge percentage of Americans that loathe Trump beyond the loathing level of any other politician, and that isn't great.  That is balanced by the fact that Trump WAS a successful and consequential President in his term and it's balanced by the fact that Joe Biden is cognitively impaired, and his Administration has been (with the cooperation of the Mass Media) dishonest and gaslighting on this issue.  The lies about Biden's actual cognitive abilities are far more consequential to the American people that anything Trump "lies" about.  And I notice that those people in the media who say Trump lied in the debate don't really give examples of this.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2024, 05:47:51 PM »

Neither Trump nor Biden are mentally unfit to be President.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2024, 06:17:30 PM »

Trump's pathology is a much bigger alarm than Biden's lack of energy.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2024, 06:58:01 PM »

Trump's pathology is a much bigger alarm than Biden's lack of energy.
I don't like the way Trump looks at things, but I don't think I would qualify that as falling under mental unfitness or lack thereof. YMMV though.
I still wouldn't want him to be President again. I don't trust his instincts. He wouldn't be good for the country. Does that make him mentally ill? No. I suppose I could have worded things slightly differently for more clarity though. I prioritized brevity there.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: June 29, 2024, 07:47:45 PM »

https://compassionandchoices.org/resource/dementia-7-stages/

Mid-Stage Dementia
Stage 5: Moderately Severe Mental Decline/Moderate Dementia
Quality of life: Moderate impact

Your loved one will likely remember some of their past and still recognize loved ones. He or she may have trouble making healthcare decisions. You may need some care in the home for day-to-day activities. You may see your loved one:

*Experience personality changes and mood swings.
*Repeat the same questions over and over again.  
*Have gaps in memory and become confused about the date, where you are, or your address and phone number.
*Need help with eating or using the toilet.
*Have trouble choosing clothing, such as what kind of close to wear for the season.
*Have bladder problems.

If Biden wants to be President again that bad, let him be evaluated by honest practitioners.  Let the medical findings be released in their entirety.  And let the video of the Hur interview be released as well.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies