US Gaza pier failing and might be dismantled early
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 11:15:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Gaza pier failing and might be dismantled early
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Gaza pier failing and might be dismantled early  (Read 303 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2024, 05:59:08 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/18/us/politics/gaza-pier-israel-aid.html
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 06:15:10 PM »

I'm sure this is reassuring to Taiwan, considering lots of people were saying that this was a sort of dual-purpose test to prepare for the possibility of needing these types of logistics in a conflict there.

In any case, to the point: I'm not surprised, this was pretty much how it seemed to be going within the first few days of the pier.

All diplomatic options and pressure need to be levied on Israel & Egypt to open the border. It's the only practical / realistic way.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 07:02:53 PM »

The pier was a joke to begin with. It was almost worse than nothing. He could have just refused to send aid altogether, which would have been just as horrific as the current reality, but at least he wouldn't be insulting the intelligence of the American voter (not that this intelligence doesn't deserve to be insulted).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 07:15:01 PM »

it was always a gimmick
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 07:16:02 PM »

That makes no sense.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 07:26:43 PM »

I'm sure this is reassuring to Taiwan, considering lots of people were saying that this was a sort of dual-purpose test to prepare for the possibility of needing these types of logistics in a conflict there.
1.lots of people, really?
2.there isn't a terrorist group in charge of Taiwan that would be stealing the aid
3.the US military will be allowed to, ya know, use the land when building a hypothetical pier in Taiwan
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 07:31:47 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2024, 07:35:59 PM by No War, but the War on Christmas »

1.lots of people, really?
2.there isn't a terrorist group in charge of Taiwan that would be stealing the aid
3.the US military will be allowed to, ya know, use the land when building a hypothetical pier in Taiwan

Not at all sure how the second point is relevant to structural failures /w the pier.

And the third point assumes an awful lot about how a Taiwanese conflict would begin, the amount of Chinese firepower aimed at any port of significant would likely be overwhelming.

'Lots of people' is probably an exaggeration admittedly. Just conversations I've observed and had /w people who seem knowledgable on this sorts of stuff, but it isn't like I'll claim to be an expert or anything... Plenty of reputable sources also though like this sooo, it's not like I'm just talking outta my @ss.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 07:42:29 PM »

I'm sure it was good practice for the Navy, under pretty bad conditions but not under an active threat.  Other than further improvement of anti-missile systems by the west, the conflict in Gaza has little to no bearing on the issues Taiwan faces.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 07:44:01 PM »

I'm sure it was good practice for the Navy, under pretty bad conditions but not under an active threat.  Other than further improvement of anti-missile systems by the west, the conflict in Gaza has little to no bearing on the issues Taiwan faces.

Which was why I made one comment about the JLOTs and then said 'To the point' in the second half of my post.

You just decided to try and look smart by quoting me with your "3 points" sooo, lol.

Pretty lame of you, but carry on.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 08:18:32 AM »

This suggests the only reason the pier was created was to liberate 4 hostages but kill hundreds of Palestinians in the process of it. If this is "the humanitarian aid" the USA stands for... yeah, than I understand nations that refuse humanitarian aid when a disaster strikes them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies