Faithless electors in a 270-268 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:31:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Faithless electors in a 270-268 election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Faithless electors in a 270-268 election  (Read 638 times)
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2024, 11:05:06 PM »

Everyone’s seen all talk of a 270-268 Biden win, but I haven’t seen much serious discussion of the possibility of faithless electors in that scenario. Obviously the Democratic Party would do everything to ensure no faithless electors, but how sure of that can they be?

Regardless of how plausible faithless electors would be here, I’d still expect the frenzy surrounding it to be unbearable for over a month before the electoral college vote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 11:12:32 PM »

Despite all of the issues with Bush's 271-267 "win" in 2000, Gore had the only faithless elector.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 11:13:48 PM »

Is there any legal way to prevent some GOP megadonor from saying "10 million dollars to the first Dem elector to go faithless and vote for not-Biden?" I think that could actually work. (269-268-1 is no overall majority so you don't even need to get someone to vote for Trump, just not-Biden)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 11:39:00 PM »

Is there any legal way to prevent some GOP megadonor from saying "10 million dollars to the first Dem elector to go faithless and vote for not-Biden?" I think that could actually work. (269-268-1 is no overall majority so you don't even need to get someone to vote for Trump, just not-Biden)
I'm pretty sure that's bribery
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 11:45:13 PM »

Yes, but Electors don't have a government job or anything. Being an elector isn't a salaried position or an office in the US government. Is bribing them still bribery legally?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 01:31:09 AM »

The Supreme Court already addressed this in 2020:

Supreme Court Rules State 'Faithless Elector' Laws Constitutional

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiafalo_v._Washington
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 02:57:30 AM »

I seriously doubt that it will be a 270 EC THATS WHY WE HAVE NV, AZ and GA
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 03:40:52 AM »

This case is about state can pass law to remove and replace faithless electors. It did not resolve cases where states do not have such laws.

The problem is about timing. If a faithless elector is from a state without such laws, the presidential vote will be under 270, and turned to the House. There is only two weeks in between. Even if the voters of that state sue the SOS trying to correct it, there may not be enough time to get a decision in time.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 06:39:29 AM »

Yes, but Electors don't have a government job or anything. Being an elector isn't a salaried position or an office in the US government. Is bribing them still bribery legally?

But aren't Electors constitutional officers, if only for a very brief time?  This would be bribery to perform an official act, which would certainly be illegal.

In any case, I'm sure both parties are taking extra care to make sure that all their electors are loyal enough that they won't cast a faithless vote if it could change the outcome of the election.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 07:28:04 AM »

Thank goodness for NE-2!

I think a 1 ev win work fine. There's only 1 case in history of a faithless elector who had reason to think his faithless vote could potentially swing the election. Of course they'd come under a ton of pressure and lobbying, as happened in 2000 and 2016, but I don't think it it would amount to anything.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 11:14:43 AM »

Another reason to hate the EC, this level of possible uncertainty is not good when picking someone for the most powerful position on earth.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 11:41:18 AM »

Yeah it would be an improvement to make the electoral votes automatic rather than relying on a proxy to cast it correctly.

Even if someone wants to cast their electoral vote faithfully, a mistake can happen as did in 2004 when someone, and no one knows who, apparently accidentally voted for Edwards as President & VP on the same ballot. They changed the law there so it can't happen now, but there's still a handful of states where something like that is possible.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2024, 03:32:52 PM »

I was thinking about this. I could see a Dem potential faithless elector threatening the party to change policy on Palestine. Not sure how that would go down with the party at large.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2024, 03:40:28 PM »

I was thinking about this. I could see a Dem potential faithless elector threatening the party to change policy on Palestine. Not sure how that would go down with the party at large.

Unrealistic. How would such an agreement be enforced? The party leaders could agree to anything, and then not follow through.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2024, 03:44:51 PM »

Odds that the supermajority Nebraska legislature tries to do something hooky if Biden's wine is dependent on that one vote from NE-02? 
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2024, 03:49:38 PM »

Odds that the supermajority Nebraska legislature tries to do something hooky if Biden's wine is dependent on that one vote from NE-02?  

Near zero.

They will try, but they don't have a supermajority on that issue, which is why they haven't gotten rid of the rule.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2024, 03:53:09 PM »

Also, such a change would need to be made before the election, since the electors on the ballot will be those running under the current system.  And that effort failed for this year in the Nebraska legislature (although it won't surprise me if they do change it at some point).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2024, 06:07:06 PM »

This would, no joke, actually start a civil war.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2024, 07:16:12 PM »

Maybe the Maine legislature could respond somehow in such a scenario?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2024, 07:25:14 PM »

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how the Nebraska legislature could void the election of a duly elected Democratic elector in NE-2 after the fact. 

Changing the law for an election that hasn't happened is certainly doable (though Nebraska had its chance in this year's session and didn't do it).  Changing the law retroactively to affect an election that already took place is fantasy, and pretty unbelievable fantasy at that.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2024, 08:45:31 PM »

I'm actually working on an election timeline around this exact scenario!
Bush did 311
Vatnos
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2024, 10:46:08 PM »

I fully expect a faithless elector will emerge in a 270-268 scenario to send this country into hellworld.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2024, 01:13:21 AM »

I fully expect a faithless elector will emerge in a 270-268 scenario to send this country into hellworld.
Yeah, the chance of everything just running smoothly without drama in such a scenario is probably less than 10%. There WILL be shenanigans in that scenario. Not saying that they will succeed in pulling off these shenanigans, but they will definitely try. I mean Trump tried to overturn a 306-232 election. He will most definitely pull ALL of the stunts in trying to overturn a 270-268 election.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2024, 04:46:21 AM »

Could we see some electors in states that go Trump voting Biden instead to cover up any faithless voters for Biden? Can that be done?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2024, 08:01:58 AM »

Yeah, the chance of everything just running smoothly without drama in such a scenario is probably less than 10%. There WILL be shenanigans in that scenario. Not saying that they will succeed in pulling off these shenanigans, but they will definitely try. I mean Trump tried to overturn a 306-232 election. He will most definitely pull ALL of the stunts in trying to overturn a 270-268 election.

Well the good thing is he will have a lot less power to make something extraconstitutional happen.

Could we see some electors in states that go Trump voting Biden instead to cover up any faithless voters for Biden? Can that be done?

Hypothetically yes there will be some Trump states in which the electors can just vote Biden at the last second if they choose to. I'd be extremely surprised if that happens though. These are not random government officials, they're diehards handpicked by the campaign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies