"Let's settle this once and for all" Trump threatens to cut US aid to Ukraine quickly if reelected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 08:58:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Let's settle this once and for all" Trump threatens to cut US aid to Ukraine quickly if reelected
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Let's settle this once and for all" Trump threatens to cut US aid to Ukraine quickly if reelected  (Read 762 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2024, 09:14:03 AM »

Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-ukraine-russia-war-threatens-cut-aid-election-2024/

Former U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday blasted the scale of U.S. support for Ukraine and said that if he is reelected in November he would immediately "have that settled."
At a campaign rally in Detroit, Trump criticized Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, calling him “the greatest salesman of all time” for Kyiv’s push to secure U.S. support in its effort to defend Ukraine against Russian aggression more than three years after Moscow's all-out invasion.
“I will have that settled prior to taking the White House as president-elect,” said Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee in the U.S. election.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 10:04:56 AM »

Dog bites man story.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 11:33:14 AM »

(Other article quotes removed, emphasis mine.)

Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-ukraine-russia-war-threatens-cut-aid-election-2024/

“I will have that settled prior to taking the White House as president-elect,” said Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee in the U.S. election.

So, it's treason again (or, at a minimum, criminally violating the Logan Act).

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 11:34:29 AM »

You know things are bad for Russian when Woody pulls out anything he can to switch the narrative.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 11:38:58 AM »

You know things are bad for Russian when Woody pulls out anything he can to switch the narrative.
Man if Russia is forced to pull out of the Kharkiv front they opened his cope will be next level
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 12:01:37 PM »

The only good thing I could see coming out of such a horrible descision is the possibility that it would force the EU's hand to finally adopt a coherent and independent defense policy.

For the long term, I do believe that would be for the best in the world.

Of course this should still never happen, and just another reason why it's important to get Biden re-elected and oppose this goon at any cost.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 12:51:17 PM »

Not sure how realistic that is, but my dad believes Trump would make the following offer to Putin: US aid will be suspended and Putin keeps all Ukrainian land currently occupied as well as no NATO membership, so the war ends for now. If Putin turns the offer down because that's not enough for him, Trump would authorize far more aid than today, especially lethal weapons and heavy bombs that knock the cr*p out of Russia's army.

It would be absolutely hilarious for latter to become true. Putin might indeed be delusional enough then to assume his trash-tier army is capable to steal all of Ukraine's land. Imagine how funny it would be to watch all these MAGA cultists twisting their tongue arguing for the opposite and claiming they were always were pro-Ukraine. And it was just Biden, who was "too weak" in his support for Kyiv.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 02:04:53 PM »

Not sure how realistic that is, but my dad believes Trump would make the following offer to Putin: US aid will be suspended and Putin keeps all Ukrainian land currently occupied as well as no NATO membership, so the war ends for now. If Putin turns the offer down because that's not enough for him, Trump would authorize far more aid than today, especially lethal weapons and heavy bombs that knock the cr*p out of Russia's army.
I'm pretty sure Trump would offer Putin pretty much everything he wants. Trump loves Putin and he hates Zelensky.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2024, 03:17:05 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2024, 03:36:04 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Trump said he will end the Ukrainian war in 24 hours.

Logically, there would be no need for further military aid.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2024, 03:31:11 PM »

Cutting off aid without a deal would be bad. Actually making a serious attempt to end the war via diplomacy through talks with Russia would be huge. This reminds me of when Eisenhower promised to end the (also stalemated) Korean war when he was running against Stevenson in 1952. If he could pull that off, he would genuinely have achieved something major where Biden has failed.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024, 03:47:15 PM »

If you think that Trump's preferred solution is anything less than Zelenskyy being humiliated and Ukraine completely losing, you don't understand Trump at all. Remember that he holds Zelenskyy personally responsible for his first impeachment, and wants revenge.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2024, 03:52:37 PM »

Man if Russia is forced to pull out of the Kharkiv front they opened his cope will be next level
The way things are shaping up I think Russians are staying in Kharkiv Oblast. Don't you think Vovchansk will eventually fall?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 04:00:51 PM »

If you think that Trump's preferred solution is anything less than Zelenskyy being humiliated and Ukraine completely losing, you don't understand Trump at all. Remember that he holds Zelenskyy personally responsible for his first impeachment, and wants revenge.

Which is pretty bizarre, considering that the first impeachment helped Trump politically.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2024, 04:10:35 PM »

The way things are shaping up I think Russians are staying in Kharkiv Oblast. Don't you think Vovchansk will eventually fall?
The city where Russia is currently losing ground in is going to fall? What Russian propaganda copium are you huffing these days?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2024, 04:21:17 PM »

The city where Russia is currently losing ground in is going to fall? What Russian propaganda copium are you huffing these days?
Before the end of the year Vovchansk will fall. Russians already control the aggregate plant in center of the town.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2024, 04:30:39 PM »

Before the end of the year Vovchansk will fall. Russians already control the aggregate plant in center of the town.
The plant they’re cut off in? You’re using that as a bragging point? This is Ayden level cringe Russian simping
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2024, 04:32:45 PM »

I wish Americans cared about this.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2024, 06:16:33 PM »

I’m pretty certain congress will just pass aid over his veto.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2024, 06:21:29 PM »

It depends who will be in control of it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2024, 06:39:41 PM »

No chance enough Republicans ever vote to override a veto of his
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2024, 06:45:32 PM »

No chance enough Republicans ever vote to override a veto of his

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2021
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 07:01:14 PM »

It was after the election and he was a lame duck, come on
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2024, 03:10:36 PM »

As has been noted many times, aid for Ukraine is a tiny fraction of the DOD budget, we sent military aid all kinds of other places under Trump. The issue here is not that he is opposed to foreign aid, the issue is that he supports Putin and his dictatorial system of government so he wants him to win. I like presidents who hate dictators, not presidents who wish they could be one.

(Other article quotes removed, emphasis mine.)

So, it's treason again (or, at a minimum, criminally violating the Logan Act).

Convicted felons have a very high recidivism rate unfortunately.

It would be absolutely hilarious for latter to become true. Putin might indeed be delusional enough then to assume his trash-tier army is capable to steal all of Ukraine's land. Imagine how funny it would be to watch all these MAGA cultists twisting their tongue arguing for the opposite and claiming they were always were pro-Ukraine. And it was just Biden, who was "too weak" in his support for Kyiv.

Even with that generous interpretation that's effectively Munich style appeasement. Without an enforcement mechanism (like Ukraine joining NATO) there's nothing to stop Russia from just finishing the job in a few years. Russia keeps the territory they took but Ukraine joins NATO has always been an acceptable outcome to me but I doubt Trump has the mental toughness as a negotiator to actually push for something like that.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2024, 03:22:55 PM »

That would take a lot of Republican congressmen growing a pair when it comes to Trump. I'll believe it when I see it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2024, 04:39:31 PM »

He says he will "have that settled" *prior* to taking office. That sounds to me like he is promising to negotiate a deal on Ukraine, not cut aid - unless there are some additional remarks that this article didn't mention that justifies the headline.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies