Thompson was once an abortion rights lobbyist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:14:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Thompson was once an abortion rights lobbyist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Thompson was once an abortion rights lobbyist  (Read 3280 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:46:48 PM »

OK, so now all 4 of the top Republican candidates have flip flopped on abortion. Who is going to stand up to Rudy McRomneyson?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/6/20511/54859
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:59 PM »

DRAFT **** ARMEY
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:07:44 PM »

Read the article on a credible news source (like I did) instead of DailyKos. It was on Yahoo. This was standard for anyone working at the firm to meet with clients. It isn't clear if anything was pursued.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »

Read the article on a credible news source (like I did) instead of DailyKos. It was on Yahoo. This was standard for anyone working at the firm to meet with clients. It isn't clear if anything was pursued.
Excuses excuses. You're going to vote for someone who lobbied for dead babies?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:28:22 PM »

And Thompson was supposed to be the savior of the party. LOL.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »

He isn't as he is like a firecracker that is going to burn out eventually.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:51:46 PM »

Lobbyists lobby for causes they don't believe in all the time; it's a part of the job description.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »

Nothing like a candidate that has to be censored.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

Excuses excuses. You're going to vote for someone who lobbied for dead babies?

Excuses, excuses? It's the job of a lobbyist to meet with potential clients.

Last I checked, he's the one climbing in the polls.

Is Hillary still sinking, BRTD?
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/07/us/politics/07thompson.html?_r=1&ref=politics&oref=slogin
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:56 AM »

“He may have been consulted by one of the firm’s partners who represented this group in 1991,” the spokesman, Mark Corallo, said in a statement. “As any lawyer would know, such consultations take place within law firms every day.”

Which is fine with me. We don't know if he met with the White House on this and if he did, I doubt it will be the big deal people want it to be.
poughies
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

why don't people like McCain again? Republicans that is......

No doubt he is pro life in this mind.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »

Tsk tsk tsk.....this is exactly the kind of half facts that the Dems complained about again and again.....and now they want to pull it too? I think not. I will hold great disgust for any Dem candidate that mentions this at all.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

Lobbyists lobby for causes they don't believe in all the time; it's a part of the job description.

Exactly, I liken this to the lawyer that voted for Gore and then worked on Bush's legal team (I forget his name), because as he told his mom it was his job.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »

Exactly, I liken this to the lawyer that voted for Gore and then worked on Bush's legal team (I forget his name), because as he told his mom it was his job.

You don't see a problem with somebody actively working against their core beliefs and principles for the sake of money?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 10:29:16 AM »

You don't see a problem with somebody actively working against their core beliefs and principles for the sake of money?

First of all, there is no evidence in a legit news source to think anything actually happened.  If he actually did, then maybe it wouldn't be the greatest thing, but he was just doing his job.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 11:33:46 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2007, 11:38:37 AM by Joe Republic »

You don't consider the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Times to be "legit news sources"?  Think what you will about their biased editorialism, but I like to think that they are capable of chasing up their own sources.  The evidence you speak of comes from the president of the abortion rights group at the time (who has minutes of a meeting with Thompson) and a colleague of his in the lobbying firm.

Anyway, it's nice to see that you think it's okay that a person's principles can be suspended for the sake of earning a few greenbacks.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 11:40:47 AM »

You don't consider the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Times to be "legit news sources"?  Think what you will about their biased editorialism, but I like to think that they are capable of chasing up their own sources.  The evidence you speak of comes from the president of the abortion rights group at the time (who has minutes of a meeting with Thompson) and a colleague of his in the lobbying firm.

Anyway, it's nice to see that you think it's okay that a person's principles can be suspended for the sake of earning a few greenbacks.

He didn't compromise his values, so it's a non-issue, the even if the NY Time said it, they are not a legit news source.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »

For goodness' sake, please learn to type coherently.  It really is a struggle to understand you.

Please tell me how lobbying the White House in support of a pro-choice organization is not a compromise of his values?  You don't find it odd that somebody with deeply-held beliefs about the rights of an unborn fetus would actively work against that belief for the sake of money?

Tell me, if I paid you a significant sum of money to officiate at a gay marriage ceremony (assuming you were qualified to do so), would you do it?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »

Last I checked, he's the one climbing in the polls.

Sure he might win the nomination. That doesn't make him the savior of the party since he's not a strong candidate in the general.

Start paying attention to the TradeSports thread.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »

why don't people like McCain again? Republicans that is......

No doubt he is pro life in this mind.

First, a lot of people don't like McCain, for a number of reasons.  Some people dislike his policies (like trying to restrict freedom of speech), some people dislike him for his lying ($50 for picking lettuce), some people dislike him because he is arrogant.  There are so many reasons to dislike McCain.

Second, Republicans don't like McCain for many of the same reasons, and a few others. 

Third, I think what you are trying to say is that McCain is delusional.  Yes, that's a good observation.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »

I think Rudy McRompson sounds better.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 12:54:41 PM »

Sure he might win the nomination. That doesn't make him the savior of the party since he's not a strong candidate in the general.

I'm confident that he'd be a strong nominee.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And you start paying attention to things that actually matter.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 12:58:57 PM »

ok let me get this straight
1. He campaigned as pro choice
2. He lobbyed for a pro-choice group

yet he is not open to attacks of being a flip flopper or pro choice?

Lets face it...Thompson is not the shiny perfect conservative candidate that people hope he is.

arguments like 'he changed his mind with more conviction than Romney' or 'since he was a lobbyist it was ok to compromise his values' aren't exactly inspiring.

Does the GOP really want to have the first lobbyist nominee in the first presidential election after the Abramof and other GOP scandals?

I still don't get why many Republicans are just ignoring their field of 11 candidates to look at this guy. It is sad that his real claim to fame is that he 'looks like a president' and is on TV. What an incredibly low standard
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »

ok let me get this straight
1. He campaigned as pro choice
2. He lobbyed for a pro-choice group

yet he is not open to attacks of being a flip flopper or pro choice?

Lets face it...Thompson is not the shiny perfect conservative candidate that people hope he is.

arguments like 'he changed his mind with more conviction than Romney' or 'since he was a lobbyist it was ok to compromise his values' aren't exactly inspiring.

Does the GOP really want to have the first lobbyist nominee in the first presidential election after the Abramof and other GOP scandals?

I still don't get why many Republicans are just ignoring their field of 11 candidates to look at this guy. It is sad that his real claim to fame is that he 'looks like a president' and is on TV. What an incredibly low standard

I still don't see why his change of heart wasn't sincere. He didn't have to do it for political gain since he won as a Pro Choice candidate for the Senate seat. Do me a favor and address that point before you post again, Likely Voter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies