French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:46:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Author Topic: French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07  (Read 19900 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2024, 08:30:59 AM »

Elabe

Seats
RN+UXD : 250-280
NFP : 150-170
Macronista : 90-110
LR+DVD : 35-45
Others : 10-12

Turnout : 62%

Sounds like the 2022 results with the roles of RN and ENS reversed and LR splitting into pro-RN and anti-RN factors.  I wish these were going to be the results but I doubt RN will do this well.   The second round tactical vote will go against the perceived front-runner.  That hurt ENS in 2022 and this time it will hurt RN.

To some degree, it hurt LREM in 2017 as well (i.e. there was a lot of presumption that they'd be headed for an even more top-heavy legislative landslide than they managed).

Not to mention that the nature of the frontrunner might lead to a lot of reawakened "cordon sanitaire" spot strategic thinking...

That viability of this effect of course depends entirely on the number of triangulaires, which may hit a record high with large turnout and 3 clear blocks.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2024, 09:11:11 AM »

That viability of this effect of course depends entirely on the number of triangulaires, which may hit a record high with large turnout and 3 clear blocks.

I agree.  The higher the turnout on the first round the better it is for RN for the second round.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2024, 09:20:33 AM »

Seems like no-one really likes Melenchon.

To translate the tweet, basically a local PTB chair who says Ruffin at the very least represents the working class, while Melenchon represents the petite bourgeoisie. PVDA-PTB people not really liking Melenchon is something i've also noticed myself, in part due to our ties with the PCF in France.
RGM2609
« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2024, 10:28:34 AM »

In what sort of places are the Macronists most likely to hold their seats?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2024, 12:59:06 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2024, 01:05:51 PM by Antonio the Sixth »

Since the polls so far are awfully similar to the EU elections, give or take a few points, it's worth taking a look of what they elections looked like constituency by constituency. I've grouped the Popular Front lists together as well as RN with Reconquête (since they can probably be counted on to support RN either by the first round or in the runoff). In addition, I've taken into account that LR voters could either join the macronists or the far-right, so I marked off the constituency where they make a difference with special colors. Here's what it looks like:

EXD majority: 64
EXD >45%: 82
EXD ahead: 206
Total: 352

FP majority: 47
FP >45%: 30
FP ahead: 73
Total: 150

LR ahead: 1
ENS ahead: 3

EXD with LR sup: 63
ENS with LR sup: 3
ENS or EXD with LR sup: 5

So... yeah, without some degree of tactical mutual support between Macronistas and the Popular Front in the runoff, we are looking at a potential bloodbath. Of course the patterns are going to be at least somewhat different, and local candidacies will matter a lot, but this at least gives you a place for where to look come next Sunday.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2024, 01:38:11 PM »

I would honestly not be surprised if BIBI EMMANUEL MELEK YISROEL FRANCE gets into the runoff in a couple dozen seats out of over five hundred and treats this as a MASSIVE MANDATE to keep pwning the leftoids with, so if that happens we would probably be looking at a Union of the Extreme Right majority or even supermajority government on these numbers.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2024, 02:30:19 PM »

Since the polls so far are awfully similar to the EU elections, give or take a few points, it's worth taking a look of what they elections looked like constituency by constituency. I've grouped the Popular Front lists together as well as RN with Reconquête (since they can probably be counted on to support RN either by the first round or in the runoff). In addition, I've taken into account that LR voters could either join the macronists or the far-right, so I marked off the constituency where they make a difference with special colors. Here's what it looks like:

EXD majority: 64
EXD >45%: 82
EXD ahead: 206
Total: 352

FP majority: 47
FP >45%: 30
FP ahead: 73
Total: 150

LR ahead: 1
ENS ahead: 3

EXD with LR sup: 63
ENS with LR sup: 3
ENS or EXD with LR sup: 5

So... yeah, without some degree of tactical mutual support between Macronistas and the Popular Front in the runoff, we are looking at a potential bloodbath. Of course the patterns are going to be at least somewhat different, and local candidacies will matter a lot, but this at least gives you a place for where to look come next Sunday.

Wow!

What were Macron and his advisers thinking when they called this election...
adma
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2024, 02:39:53 PM »

One sorta-caveat I have is: don't EU elections have more of a tendency to be a place to electorally "vent"?  Which is why patterns there (including, back in the day, when the UK was part of it all) tend to be more "un-mainstream" than on a national parliamentary level.

Which is why I'm guarded about *how* much reach RN might have here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2024, 02:44:33 PM »

One sorta-caveat I have is: don't EU elections have more of a tendency to be a place to electorally "vent"?  Which is why patterns there (including, back in the day, when the UK was part of it all) tend to be more "un-mainstream" than on a national parliamentary level.

I'd think so too but the legislative polls so far seem to mach the EU results. We'll find out in a week I suppose.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2024, 03:52:36 PM »

Wow!

Well, first of all, I am not sure his advisors were thinking. Macron was thinking his thoughts. But were his advisors really telling him to do this? If not, they should not be blamed for the thinking.

It seems like the only possible way it could be "going according to plan" is if the plan was intentionally to lose because Macron thinks that the best thing (or at any rate the least bad thing of things that are achievable) is for the RN to win and be forced to govern, with the idea that them being in government (with Macron still there to make sure things don't go too far off the rails) will lower their popularity subsequently.

That's obviously a very risky scheme, even if that was actually the plan in the first place.

If that was not the plan, then it isn't going according to plan.
adma
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2024, 04:14:39 PM »

I'd think so too but the legislative polls so far seem to mach the EU results. We'll find out in a week I suppose.

Or rather, in *two* weeks, because of the age-old "second round surprise" factor.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2024, 04:37:30 PM »

Will the NFP name a candidate for PM before the election, or what is their plan?
Logical

« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2024, 04:43:52 PM »

Ifop rolling poll

RN consolidates the far right vote, NFP stagnant as they go on without a PM face, Macronie stumbles.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #513 on: June 23, 2024, 05:50:25 PM »

Will the NFP name a candidate for PM before the election, or what is their plan?

Nope, it seems like the plan is to decide it based on the number of MPs each party will get. All the non-FI party have made it clear they wouldn't support Mélenchon though.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2024, 05:57:14 PM »

https://inwebitrust.com/legislatives-2024/projection/

Has different scenarios on how the second round could go
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #515 on: June 24, 2024, 12:43:35 PM »

Wow!

Well, first of all, I am not sure his advisors were thinking. Macron was thinking his thoughts. But were his advisors really telling him to do this? If not, they should not be blamed for the thinking.

It seems like the only possible way it could be "going according to plan" is if the plan was intentionally to lose because Macron thinks that the best thing (or at any rate the least bad thing of things that are achievable) is for the RN to win and be forced to govern, with the idea that them being in government (with Macron still there to make sure things don't go too far off the rails) will lower their popularity subsequently.

That's obviously a very risky scheme, even if that was actually the plan in the first place.

If that was not the plan, then it isn't going according to plan.

If that was the plan, I guess president Hindemburg does indeed agree the best thing is to let the far right party get into power. What could possibly go wrong?

I suppose at least this time there isn't left wing infighting
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #516 on: June 24, 2024, 12:47:08 PM »

I'm not convinced that the plan ran any deeper than Robert Muldoon's did in 1984 if you *hic* follow...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2024, 12:47:31 PM »

Stupid question, but:

Are the larger runoffs if candidates surpass 12.5% of the potential vote limited to 3 candidates? Could you have a 4 way runoff if you had, say, 60% turnout and four candidates getting a quarter of the vote?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2024, 12:54:46 PM »

Stupid question, but:

Are the larger runoffs if candidates surpass 12.5% of the potential vote limited to 3 candidates? Could you have a 4 way runoff if you had, say, 60% turnout and four candidates getting a quarter of the vote?

They're not limited to three candidates - any candidates surpassing 12.5% of registered voters are qualified for the runoff, so there could in theory be a quadrangulaire.

However, there's never been a quadrangulaire ever since the qualification threshold was raised in 1976 - the last one was in 1973. It seems highly unlikely we'll ever see one in a legislative election, this year or in the future.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2024, 12:56:25 PM »

Stupid question, but:

It could be as many as reach 12.5% of eligible voters, so with 100% turnout and a perfectly equal vote split you could have a maximum of 8 candidates. In practice, given the current array of forces, I doubt we'll get more than 3 anywhere, although 4 is conceivable if turnout reaches the mid-60s.
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #520 on: June 24, 2024, 02:08:08 PM »

How many people both to vote for third place candidates in triangulaires in the second round. For example, let's say in a certain district, the RN and NFP candidates each have 40% of the vote and a 3rd place Macronist just barely clears the hurdle with about 15% of the vote - do the people who voted for that 3rd place Macronist even bother to vote at all? Seems like its so obviously a waste of time.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2024, 02:09:39 PM »

A few questions about LR:

* Are the Ciotti LR-RN candidates running under the label of LR, RN or something else?
* Will they run against anti-Ciotti LR candidates?
* Have they coordinated their candidacies with LePen to have RN support or will they also be running against RN?
* Does anyone have an idea of what proportion of the Ciotti LR candidates are likely to make it to runoffs as compared to anti-Ciotti LR candidates? Would a strong performance from either side shift their control over the party or would it not matter?
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #522 on: June 24, 2024, 02:13:16 PM »

Rafael Glucksmann tweets:

C’est désormais clair et net : Jean-Luc Mélenchon ne sera pas Premier Ministre vu que tous les autres partis s’y opposent. On peut maintenant se concentrer sur le véritable enjeu qui est d’empêcher que Jordan Bardella le soit, lui? Car cette hypothèse est très réaliste, elle.

In other words there is a popular front within the popular front against the pro-Putin crackpot Melenchon
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #523 on: June 24, 2024, 02:15:14 PM »

A few questions about LR:

* Are the Ciotti LR-RN candidates running under the label of LR, RN or something else?
* Will they run against anti-Ciotti LR candidates?
* Have they coordinated their candidacies with LePen to have RN support or will they also be running against RN?
* Does anyone have an idea of what proportion of the Ciotti LR candidates are likely to make it to runoffs as compared to anti-Ciotti LR candidates? Would a strong performance from either side shift their control over the party or would it not matter?

1. Les Amis d'Éric Ciotti (Éric Ciotti's Friends)
2. Yes
3. Yes, through I think at least one managed to lose both endorsements.
4. It doesn't, as only a few of the Ciotti candidates are actually current members of the party, most of them are lapsed members, never were members or are former members of the RN (or even FN), rather.
Logical

« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2024, 02:28:19 PM »

Ifop rolling

RN+UXD : 36% (+0,5)
NFP : 29,5% (+0,5)
Macronista : 20,5% (-0,5)
LR : 7%

Seats

RN+UXD : 220-260
NFP : 185-215
Macronista : 70-100