French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34
Author Topic: French National Assembly Elections, 06/30-07/07  (Read 26989 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2024, 01:13:24 AM »

Yeah, Macron's not gonna look so hot if the former LREM (Renaissance now? Goddammit France stop changing party names every two or three years) ends up in THIRD at the end of this behind RN and the left. It's one thing for the President's party to not win, but for the President's party to be in a distant 3rd would be next level humiliating.

You just have to assume that Macron has already considered that this will happen and that that is part of his strategy.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2024, 01:25:01 AM »

I'm genuinely, but pleasantly, shocked at the breadth and width of that Popular Front, the Left around the world should take notes. Here's hoping they can actually stay away from the toxicity that's engulfed the right now and actually run a half-way decent campaign.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #252 on: June 13, 2024, 03:10:24 AM »

the hypocrite front
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2024, 05:41:37 AM »

I'm genuinely, but pleasantly, shocked at the breadth and width of that Popular Front, the Left around the world should take notes. Here's hoping they can actually stay away from the toxicity that's engulfed the right now and actually run a half-way decent campaign.

The left mobilising against the far right while centrists and conservatives try and cut deals is a spectre from history. I'm really pleased that the left in France has unified to counter that threat.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2024, 05:54:41 AM »

Well, since Méluche opened the floodgates yesterday, pretty much everybody and their grandmother is throwing their names into the ring to be the Popular Front's Prime Minister candidate. François Ruffin, Clémentine Autain, Fabien Roussel, and most recently Valérie Rabault all have expressed interest, all in this weird self-effacing way.

We really need to cut out this sorry spectacle. Frankly I don't think we even need a PM candidate, as we should make it clear the point here is to stop the far right, not to take power. But if we are going to pick a figurehead, we should do it soon, and it should absolutely NOT be Mélenchon. He had his chance in 2022 and that's it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2024, 09:18:23 AM »

Chiotti has posted this hilarious video of him in his office

Note the empty desk, with nothing but random fake photos and a phone. The mutineers probably took his computer.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM »

Quel sketch...only RPR/UMP/LR could produce this kind of drama....it's why I'll miss then a bit when they're gone...a bit.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #257 on: June 13, 2024, 11:09:06 AM »

This is turning into a French version of The Thick of It.
rob in cal
« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2024, 11:52:22 AM »

The French parties are acting as if there is now a one round, fptp electoral system. Why does it even matter, for instance, if there is an agreement between RN and Zemours group when in most cases his candidates won’t even make the 2nd round. Seems like a bunch of counterproductive drama.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #259 on: June 13, 2024, 12:02:50 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2024, 12:06:52 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

This is turning into a French version of The Thick of It.

At this point it's more Veep than Thick of It. No subtlety to the farce, and the LR is about as powerful and useful as the VPOTUS.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: June 13, 2024, 12:07:17 PM »

Yeah RN doesn’t really need a coalition for the first round. They will place 1st or 2nd in  the vast majority seats they need to win.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #261 on: June 13, 2024, 12:17:02 PM »

Meanwhile on the left, talks have hit a bit of a snag today. As I suspected, PS might be alright with the general breakdown of constituency, but they want a larger cut of the more winnable ones - which frankly they're entitled to given Glucksmann's performance. We don't know what LFI is asking, but between these and a continued hair-splitting about the program, it seems the alliance won't be finalized today either. I have to imagine it will be tomorrow: with only two days left before the deadline for candidacies, they'll need some time to file all the relevant paperwork. So hopefully tomorrow is the day.

On the LR side, the new political bureau that was supposed to expel Ciotti for realsies this time (a tacit admission that the one held yesterday was in violation of party statutes) was just canceled for unclear reasons. That should create an opening for Ciotti, whose lawsuit about it will be heard tomorrow and should reinstate him as LR president. Unclear where the mutineers go from there, but hopefully they should be able to do things by the book soon. This is pretty important since it will determine which candidates can run on the LR label, and once again the deadlines are very short.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #262 on: June 13, 2024, 12:19:42 PM »

which frankly they're entitled to given Glucksmann's performance.

Can you keep your personal bias out?

It's very annoying.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #263 on: June 13, 2024, 12:20:02 PM »

It's very annoying.

no
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2024, 12:24:06 PM »

It's very annoying.

no

Why the disrespect towards me?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2024, 12:30:53 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2024, 12:32:10 PM »

It's very annoying.

no

Why the disrespect towards me?

Try posting something interesting or constructive instead of whining about me having opinions, and maybe I'll be more inclined to treat you seriously. I've un-ignored you on the faint hope that you might have something worthwhile to say about these elections, but I'm already starting to regret this.

Edit: OK, the post above was pretty funny, so good job there. More of that and less whining, please.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2024, 01:39:59 PM »

it seems the alliance won't be finalized today either.

...well never mind, we just got the announcement that a deal was just reached on both the program and the candidacies.

We still don't have details on either, so it's possible we'll have to wait for tomorrow for those. Hopefully we'll get them soon.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2024, 02:12:48 PM »

It's very annoying.

But they are?
I don’t care how the left splits seat but the fact is based on the most recent poll which we could call the EU election PS did better than LFI.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2024, 02:42:25 PM »

It's very annoying.

But they are?
I don’t care how the left splits seat but the fact is based on the most recent poll which we could call the EU election PS did better than LFI.

A poll and/or an EU election is not the only thing that has to be taken into consideration when distributing seats (and we have no idea on how the "winnable" seats were distributed in the proposal since none of us were part of the negotiations).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2024, 04:53:31 PM »

It's very annoying.

But they are?

A poll and/or an EU election is not the only thing that has to be taken into consideration when distributing seats (and we have no idea on how the "winnable" seats were distributed in the proposal since none of us were part of the negotiations).

Well, Mélenchon still has the most seats, so it shows multiple things were considered.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2024, 05:28:43 PM »

It's very annoying.

But they are?

Well, Mélenchon still has the most seats, so it shows multiple things were considered.

Agreed. That's my whole point and it seems left-wing politicians in France also agreed on that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2024, 05:49:46 PM »

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow who the specific candidates nominated for each constituency are. My point is that PS should get the prime pickup opportunities, since they currently have 30 MPs and FI has 70, even though they're about equivalent in electoral strength at the moment. If the Popular Front gains seats compared 2022 (still an enormous if at this stage) those seats should primarily go toward increasing PS' weight in the alliance. I don't think it's an unreasonable ask. FI already took the lion's share of winnable constituencies in 2022, so it's only fair for them to give PS pride of place this time around.

Also, there's the electoral reality that PS candidates will probably have a better shot of being elected than FI ones. We've seen that a lot of people view FI as more radical than RN at this point, whereas PS wouldn't have that problem. And besides, if PS isn't sufficiently accommodated, this will almost certainly lead to dissident candidacies, which would weaken the alliance.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2024, 06:51:18 PM »

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow who the specific candidates nominated for each constituency are. My point is that PS should get the prime pickup opportunities, since they currently have 30 MPs and FI has 70, even though they're about equivalent in electoral strength at the moment. If the Popular Front gains seats compared 2022 (still an enormous if at this stage) those seats should primarily go toward increasing PS' weight in the alliance. I don't think it's an unreasonable ask. FI already took the lion's share of winnable constituencies in 2022, so it's only fair for them to give PS pride of place this time around.

Also, there's the electoral reality that PS candidates will probably have a better shot of being elected than FI ones. We've seen that a lot of people view FI as more radical than RN at this point, whereas PS wouldn't have that problem. And besides, if PS isn't sufficiently accommodated, this will almost certainly lead to dissident candidacies, which would weaken the alliance.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2024, 06:56:18 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2024, 07:03:01 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

Dua Lipa telling her fans in Nimes to vote for Front Populaire.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies