Non-Americans: is bullet proof glass in front of clerks at gas stations common in your country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:12:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Non-Americans: is bullet proof glass in front of clerks at gas stations common in your country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Non-Americans: is bullet proof glass in front of clerks at gas stations common in your country?  (Read 472 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2024, 09:48:44 PM »

Or like a thing at all? Is this one of those US only things?

Pretty much all of the gas stations within a three mile radius from me have this now...as did every one I entered in Chicago.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 01:33:15 AM »

uh, we don't have that where I'm at.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 01:36:31 AM »

only in the absolute worst parts of Omaha is this a thing, and even there it's far from universal
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 01:39:38 AM »

I think any type of barrier would be uncommon here, although I am very rarely at gas stations so I may be wrong. Otherwise they would definitely be acrylic glass barriers, most often installed during the pandemic, which doesn't seem what you mean.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 04:02:05 AM »

thinking about it more, I think I did see one of those sorts of set ups at a circle K in a more run-down part of Mobile. Vaguely remember they had a divot where you had to put your money under the glass and they grabbed it. But this was also during the pandemic, so I don't remember if it was bulletproof or just acrylic or something.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 04:30:39 AM »

I don't think it is bullet proof.

I think it is perspex that was introduced to avoid getting COVID.

Everything is horizontal screens now at the Police and most banks:

Most service stations have horizontal wires making it impossible to jump the counter.

This style is popular with fast-food chains and fuel-sites.
https://sterlingproducts.com.au/fuel-sites-industry/
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 05:40:37 AM »

Pretty much all of the gas stations within a three mile radius from me have this now...as did every one I entered in Chicago.

Lmao in most of the world u don't even prepay for gas. My local bank tellers don't even have glass separators! Just the little plastic screens from covid they haven't bothered to throw out yet.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 01:48:12 PM »

Is that actually common in the US these days?

Certainly isn't here. Obviously it's also much, much more difficult to get a gun here as there's no second amendment and the laws are relatively strict.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 02:47:54 PM »

There’s no bullet proof glass at Costco here in the US. I don’t usually see it when I have to go to a normal gas station either. Can’t say I have or haven’t because it’s not something I pay attention to. One or two might still have the plexiglass or whatever up from Covid, but that’s all that springs to mind.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 02:56:36 PM »

Honestly this is just usual BRTD 'see an instance of something, extrapolate to the universe' stuff, lol.

And no, I've never seen that here in Dallas that I can recall, besides plastic ones during Covid.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 06:18:27 PM »

It’s not common in the US except in certain, very crime ridden areas and even then not common. Shows where BRTD spends his time though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 07:32:13 PM »

It’s not common in the US except in certain, very crime ridden areas and even then not common. Shows where BRTD spends his time though.
Minneapolis and Chicago? Truly terrible cities and places to be indeed.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2024, 11:07:53 PM »

I think BRTD's original question aimed at non US residents, as opposed to those of us with significant time stateside.

Regardless, should mention the first time I recall seeing bullet-proof glass on a Gas Station was off the HWY in Columbus, OH where the White Woman running the pump advised us it was a "rough neighborhood", so best not linger long and get right back on the Interstate.

The next time I saw bullet-proof Glass on a Gas station was a year our so later in Gary, Indiana.

Still regardless of the fear mongering, which frequently created perceptions of Black "Urban Criminals", reality is that for almost (50) years of my life and lived and visited and family and friends, generally local neighborhoods are safe where most violence occurs between individuals from neighborhoods who know each other, and it's not like carjackings and stick up robberies at local stores are that common...

It was a lot more common back in the '60s and '70s if we were to look up the "Outlaw Country" back catalogue.

Just check out Johnny Paycheck: "The Only Hell My Momma ever Raised"

Now check out some Johnny Cash Cocaine Blues:

Toss in a little bit of Merle Haggard "Mama Tried":

LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2024, 11:19:49 PM »

A lot of Red Avs acting quite classist here... BRTD is obviously exaggerating as to the scope of this, but he's certainly asking if the economically depressed areas of other nations have this as well. I'd guess no, given the lower prevalence of gun ownership but that's just my speculation (glass could be useful for knives as well).

I've seen it in the rougher areas of Atlanta, Newark, and Boston (Mattapan), along with barred windows, but even pre-covid I think sometimes they were just acrylic to slow down some crazy dude trying to jump the cashier.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 07:04:29 AM »

A lot of Red Avs acting quite classist here... BRTD is obviously exaggerating as to the scope of this, but he's certainly asking if the economically depressed areas of other nations have this as well. I'd guess no, given the lower prevalence of gun ownership but that's just my speculation (glass could be useful for knives as well).

I've seen it in the rougher areas of Atlanta, Newark, and Boston (Mattapan), along with barred windows, but even pre-covid I think sometimes they were just acrylic to slow down some crazy dude trying to jump the cashier.

You’re giving him too much credit, there’s a specific reason why he gets so super obsessed and focused on random crap like this.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2024, 08:52:36 AM »

In Belgium the glass isn't bulletproof but its often there
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2024, 09:19:55 AM »

I don't recall ever seeing bulletproof glass at a gas station, including Chicago. I have no idea why you'd be hanging around neighborhoods where that is the norm.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2024, 03:22:53 PM »

I wonder if anyone actually sprinkles holy water onto bulletproof glass.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2024, 04:39:19 PM »

Lmao in most of the world u don't even prepay for gas. My local bank tellers don't even have glass separators! Just the little plastic screens from covid they haven't bothered to throw out yet.

Most gas stations in the US are also convenience stores. That is the reason most people here would deal with a gas station clerk.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2024, 04:50:42 PM »

Most gas stations in the US are also convenience stores. That is the reason most people here would deal with a gas station clerk.

Gas stations having convenience stores is the norm worldwide.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2024, 07:04:26 PM »

I know of one or two gas stations in Seattle that have the setup where the clerk is in a little booth with a window that I assume is bullet-proof, otherwise the system of "lock the robber in with the clerk until the police arrive" becomes even more insane. But I agree it's not the norm.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 10:19:08 PM »

No, but it should be.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 11:06:16 PM »

It’s the same here in Aus, especially out in the bush where the gas station can be the only business for miles around. Just making the point that here we still have enough societal trust that almost nobody would ever gas and dash, yet alone needing bulletproof glass to protect from robbers.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2024, 11:35:10 PM »

The OP's question was targeted at "Non-Americans", so obviously we need more international input on this question.

I might also add that I was just chatting with my wife outside of the Apartments with a Cig and a Brew, and she added on that, when she moved back from Texas to Oregon before Me, it was in Blythe and on top of the Gas Stations having Bullet Proof Windows, even the Hotel did for the late Night check-ins where the cash or card had to be slipped in underneath the windows.

Hell, even thinking about all of the "Cash Stores" that we would hit to float bills in NW Harris County had bulletproof Glass.

Even in Oregon in recent years where we have occasionally had to take out a Cash Loan" have bulletproof Glass.

Interesting thing is that although we have so many Weed Stores, which is part of reason why Herb is so cheap in Oregon, I don't recall a single Weed Store with Bulletproof Glass, even although they deal in Cash because of Federal Banking Regs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies