It feels like neither candidate really has a vision for a second term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:01:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  It feels like neither candidate really has a vision for a second term
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It feels like neither candidate really has a vision for a second term  (Read 555 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2024, 12:23:08 PM »

Technically, both Trump and Biden are running for their second term.

But, I don't feel like there's been any genuine policy ideas or a cohesive vision for the second term offered by either. Biden suggested taxing millions heavily but that's one piece of policy; it's not a vision. Trump has talked revenge and the border, but that's also not a vision.

Biden's biggest thing seems to be "Vote for me because I'm not Trump and if I win we'll figure out the rest", and Trump's seems to be "The economy is bad under SLEEPY JOE BIDEN and I will fix it"...But with no specifics.

It just feels like neither is making a particular case for what they actually want to achieve in a second term outside of "I'm not the other guy."
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 01:00:45 PM »

When one candidate not only wants to end American democracy, but literally tried it last time and had the support of his entire party in doing so, "I'm not him" is a pretty powerful argument.

Anyone who votes for Trump doesn't believe in the concept of "America" like I do, and like I used to think we all did.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 01:21:27 PM »

When one candidate not only wants to end American democracy, but literally tried it last time and had the support of his entire party in doing so, "I'm not him" is a pretty powerful argument.

Anyone who votes for Trump doesn't believe in the concept of "America" like I do, and like I used to think we all did.

This is an appeal to an emotion, and a deflection. What vision is there in either candidate's bid for a second term?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 01:27:06 PM »

"Feels like" doesn't necessarily mean it's the case. Obviously Trump's "vision" is primary driven by anger, revenge, resentments and escaping his legal trouble.

Biden definitely has a detailed plan and unfinished business on his plate. If Democrats were to win even narrow majorities in congress again, the president would again be able to pass sweepting legislation on climate, reproductive rights, jobs and wages, maybe even immigration and a public option. Not to mention Biden's main theme is the preservation of the rule of law at home and democracy aboard (like support for Ukraine against Putin's tyranny). But I'm afraid just like in 2020 the national and international media will again pretend this program doesn't exist and Biden's only offer is the status-quo and that he's not Trump.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 01:28:46 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2024, 06:26:38 PM by 7,052,770 »

This is an appeal to an emotion, and a deflection. What vision is there in either candidate's bid for a second term?

It's literally neither. It's a fact that Trump tried to overturn the election, first with phony lawsuits and then with violence.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 03:31:55 PM »

So, basically, you believe that tax cuts are better for the economy than giving it in Entitlements, if Govt doesnt give entitlement they are gonna spend it on tax cuts. In 2001 and 2017 instead of investing that money in SSA trust fund which is going broke Bush W and Trump spent it in tax cuts

Then in 2002/2008/20 we were left broke having gone into Recession with those tax cuts, of course Biden has a vision don't waste money on tax cuts
Obama24
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 03:46:59 PM »

"Feels like" doesn't necessarily mean it's the case. Obviously Trump's "vision" is primary driven by anger, revenge, resentments and escaping his legal trouble.

Biden definitely has a detailed plan and unfinished business on his plate. If Democrats were to win even narrow majorities in congress again, the president would again be able to pass sweepting legislation on climate, reproductive rights, jobs and wages, maybe even immigration and a public option. Not to mention Biden's main theme is the preservation of the rule of law at home and democracy aboard (like support for Ukraine against Putin's tyranny). But I'm afraid just like in 2020 the national and international media will again pretend this program doesn't exist and Biden's only offer is the status-quo and that he's not Trump.

Sources for the bolded? Specifically, what set of policies has Biden himself or official administration sources outlined that would meet these goals if he is given a second term?

If you can give me something tangible that would indicate all of the above has been outlined as second term policy goals, I'll give Biden my vote.

As it stands, those all sound like wishes. I don't think even FDR could secure sweeping legislation on climate, reproductive rights, jobs, wages, and a public option. And Biden doesn't essentially have control of the narrative of the country in the way FDR did. Maybe with a massive supermajority he could get a narrow version of some of those ideas passed, but this is 2024 with a Republican opposition that can't even pass bills they supposedly agree with. But, I'd like to see sources that state these are actual policy goals if a second term is gotten.
iceman
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 04:55:35 PM »

Of course they don’t. Both candidates are just peddling to voters reason why the other should be kept out of office, no hopeful messaging at all. It seems this election is all about bringing back or keep Trump out of the limelight once in for all.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 05:06:16 PM »

Of course they don’t. Both candidates are just peddling to voters reason why the other should be kept out of office, no hopeful messaging at all. It seems this election is all about bringing back or keep Trump out of the limelight once in for all.

Yes, it seems, from both angles the election is more a referendum on Donald Trump than anything else which is part of why the thing is so exhausting.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 08:05:36 PM »

So you think tax cuts for the wealthy is a good policy no it's not, that's your opinion
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 09:57:25 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2024, 10:10:32 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Oh, Trump has a vision alright. It's one that should startle anyone with a brain cell. And Biden's vision is to prevent that vision for the sake of the country's future.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 12:30:34 AM »

Oh, Trump has a vision alright. It's one that should startle anyone with a brain cell. And Biden's vision is to prevent that vision for the sake of the country's future.

Trump’s petty revenge fantasies are not a vision.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 05:39:53 AM »

Trump has a vision, it's an apocalyptic one but he has it
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 02:20:10 PM »

I for one am not even thinking about a vision for a second Biden term. I am solely focused on defeating Trump and stamping out his movement's threats to our democracy and institutions. Like 2020, this is not a policy election for me.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2024, 03:03:03 PM »

That barely counts as a real vision. It's just petty revenge.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2024, 05:40:58 PM »

I for one am not even thinking about a vision for a second Biden term. I am solely focused on defeating Trump and stamping out his movement's threats to our democracy and institutions. Like 2020, this is not a policy election for me.

Guarantee you if Trump loses this round he'll be back in 2028.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2024, 05:46:16 PM »

Then we'll have to be vigilant and beat him again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2024, 05:46:49 PM »

Lol the ars need to dump a Trump
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2024, 08:38:56 PM »

Graying culture warriors don't care what happens in the future so long as The Party wins the next game.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2024, 06:31:23 AM »

Okay for Trump its petty revenge, but there are people in his circle that would very much like to turn the US into a Christian theocracy which Trump will go along with.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2024, 06:41:06 AM »

Petty revenge for the average R, real life ruination for other law abiding citizens.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2024, 06:56:33 AM »

If Biden would campaign for some Supreme Court reform, such as one or two ideas he could pluck out of the fourth chapter of the "Final Report" published by the bipartisan commission that he appointed in 2021, I would love it and I would enthusiastically support him this year. I know he doesn't want to "pack" the Court or impose term limits on federal judges, but there were ideas in the fourth chapter of that Report that could be very appealing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2024, 08:40:51 AM »

This isn't really true at all- Biden has said on multiple occasions what he'd do in a second term, especially on abortion (Roe returning if he had the votes) and the economy.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2024, 09:12:12 AM »

It should be a policy election also. You can ask, "Well, if you defeat Trump, what are you gonna do after." He isn't a King on high, you know.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2024, 09:16:04 AM »

If Biden would campaign for some Supreme Court reform, such as one or two ideas he could pluck out of the fourth chapter of the "Final Report" published by the bipartisan commission that he appointed in 2021, I would love it and I would enthusiastically support him this year. I know he doesn't want to "pack" the Court or impose term limits on federal judges, but there were ideas in the fourth chapter of that Report that could be very appealing.

The idea of SCOTUS reform is pretty much dead unless Dems win at least 53-54 senate seats and nuke the filibuster. That's not realistic. I think Biden should only make promises he has a decent shot of fulfulling. Otherwise it just leaves people even more frustrated and dissatisfied with politics. And that would once again give credibility to candidates like Trump who want to tear down the whole system.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies