1884: Arthur/Logan (R) vs. Cleveland/Henricks (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:57:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1884: Arthur/Logan (R) vs. Cleveland/Henricks (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1884: Arthur/Logan (R) vs. Cleveland/Henricks (D)  (Read 2356 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2007, 01:34:50 AM »

Let's suppose in 1884, President Chester Arthur wins the 1884 Republican Nomination after suffering some challenges from James G. Blaine of Maine and George Edmunds of Vermont. The Republican Convention selects Illinois Senator John Logan to be President Arthur's running mate.

In the 1884 presidential election, President Arthur faces off against Governor of New York Grover Cleveland. Governor Cleveland's running mate is former Indiana Senator Thomas Henricks.

Is President Arthur able to win in 1884 over Governor Cleveland? Or would Cleveland defeat President Arthur as he defeated Senator Blaine in Real life?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:49 PM »

I see IA, OR, and NV going to Cleveland.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:14:13 PM »

Cleveland did extroadianary well for any dem back during time in WI.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

Arthur probably would have won.

Both Cleveland and Blaine were tainted by scandal during the campaign. It was probably the meanest and nastiest campaign EVER!

Unless Arthur's Bright's Disease was made public, Arthur would have won in a 1872-like or 1896-like victory.

On a side note: IMO Arthur was probably (after Hayes and Ford) the most underrated president of all time. Agree?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 05:10:49 AM »

On a side note: IMO Arthur was probably (after Hayes and Ford) the most underrated president of all time. Agree?

I certainly agree to that statement MikeyMike.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

Chester Arthur was a great president. He cleaned up the government, reformed immigration, and kept the peace with Great Britain. As a reformer he would have appeased the Half-Breed Republicans, thus the "mugwumps" would never have been formed.

Arthur would have taken a relatively narrow win over Grover the Good, but Cleveland would have won in 1888 and 1892.
gorkay

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »

Arthur probably would have won.

Both Cleveland and Blaine were tainted by scandal during the campaign. It was probably the meanest and nastiest campaign EVER!

Unless Arthur's Bright's Disease was made public, Arthur would have won in a 1872-like or 1896-like victory.

I'm not sure I would say he was the most underrated, but he has been consistently undervalued over the years... including by his own party, who denied him the Presidential nomination in 1884. Hayes I think is vastly underrated as well, mainly because of the shady circumstances over which he achieved office. But his performance once there was first-rate, and again disdained by his own party. I don't see why you say Ford is underrated... I think, if anything, he was overrated, and one of our worst presidents.

Arthur may well have won in 1884. He had a somewhat shady past, but he had made up for it with a clean and fair-minded presidency, so he wouldn't have had some of the problems with his past dealings that Blaine did. And the election was decided by New York, which Cleveland carried by a razor-thin margin. If Arthur had done as well in the rest of the country as Blaine did, but a little better in his home state, he would have won, and it's reasonable to assume that he might have done so.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »

I think James K. Polk was most underrated, but Arthur is in the top 5.

Arthur wins 224-177.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies