Opinion: The Southern Border Immigration Crisis is entirely on President Biden...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 08:52:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion: The Southern Border Immigration Crisis is entirely on President Biden...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Opinion: The Southern Border Immigration Crisis is entirely on President Biden...  (Read 1022 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2024, 04:19:20 PM »

Will repeat:

There is no ''immigration crisis.''

We have allowed Republicans to shape the dialog on this so that the position is played from a defensive one.

There is a humanitarian crisis at the border, and there is obviously a crisis going on in Mexican to the degree that their people are leaving in droves. Maybe we should work on those things before we shut our borders and condemn the people coming here.

This kind of semantic game is of course useful for differentiating yourself from The Other Side but whenever I see anyone on the left do this it never goes further than that.

Ignoring the existence of bad faith Republicans, what exactly is the solution to this "humanitarian crisis"  for immigrants at the border (which is very clearly not the same thing as a "border immigration crisis")? Obviously long-term solutions are ideal but you can't propose only long-term fixes that will take years to see benefits when the crisis right now needs solutions that take months or weeks to ameliorate the problem.

Why not help Mexico become a place that more Mexicans want to live? If we can send trillions to Ukraine and Israel why not give our southern neighbor some help? I'd support a bailout of Mexico of some kind.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2024, 04:38:38 PM »

Will repeat:

We have allowed Republicans to shape the dialog on this so that the position is played from a defensive one.

There is a humanitarian crisis at the border, and there is obviously a crisis going on in Mexican to the degree that their people are leaving in droves. Maybe we should work on those things before we shut our borders and condemn the people coming here.

This kind of semantic game is of course useful for differentiating yourself from The Other Side but whenever I see anyone on the left do this it never goes further than that.

Ignoring the existence of bad faith Republicans, what exactly is the solution to this "humanitarian crisis"  for immigrants at the border (which is very clearly not the same thing as a "border immigration crisis")? Obviously long-term solutions are ideal but you can't propose only long-term fixes that will take years to see benefits when the crisis right now needs solutions that take months or weeks to ameliorate the problem.

Why not help Mexico become a place that more Mexicans want to live? If we can send trillions to Ukraine and Israel why not give our southern neighbor some help? I'd support a bailout of Mexico of some kind.

Most of these migrants aren't Mexican (lmao) and one of the major thrusts of current efforts to fix this is trying to work with the Mexican government to absorb more of these migrants (surprise - the Mexican government isn't interested in this).

Also please (please!) re-read the last sentence of my post! These kinds of answers are completely unserious because they don't take serious the fact that "crisis" implies that it's an acute surge beyond the current capacity of our services. This issue needs a fix that starts reaping benefits immediately!
Obama24
United States
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2024, 04:44:07 PM »

Will repeat:

Most of these migrants aren't Mexican (lmao) and one of the major thrusts of current efforts to fix this is trying to work with the Mexican government to absorb more of these migrants (surprise - the Mexican government isn't interested in this).

Also please (please!) re-read the last sentence of my post! These kinds of answers are completely unserious because they don't take serious the fact that "crisis" implies that it's an acute surge beyond the current capacity of our services. This issue needs a fix that starts reaping benefits immediately!

Send them to less populous areas perhaps or areas facing worker shortages? Could create a CCC style program where migrant cities are built by American workers which would both employ American youth and give a home for these people. Could create a sort of loan program wherein they get skills training if unskilled which needs to be paid back within 10 years, followed by a citizenship program of 15 years of continuous residence with zero criminal offenses.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2024, 03:05:49 AM »

Will repeat:

Whe  I last looked at the numbers, there were not may actual Mexicans in the mix of people coming across the border.

Surprisingly, they were from El Salvador, Chinese and Indian  then Middle Eastern.

The crazy thing was how diverse the mix of people was.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2024, 12:53:33 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2024, 04:01:11 PM by Badger »

Anyone who has been here over 10 years, or who was brought/sent here as a minor and has been here for over 5 years should get amnesty, period.

And anyone who has been here for 5/10 years or less should be deported . No ifs and buts

Both from a funding and a logistical perspective, how? That's an entirely unrealistic fantasy.

Then there should be no amnesty what so ever .

What's your argument for why your own family should have been let in this country? Since you're such an immigration hardliner.

I am not an illegal immigrant . Demanding legal immigrants support open borders and illegal immigration is actually insulting but peak progressive insanity

Translation. "Me and mine got ours, so F everyone else. Plus tax cuts."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies