UCLA medical school admissions overtaken by DEI?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:11:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  UCLA medical school admissions overtaken by DEI?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: UCLA medical school admissions overtaken by DEI?  (Read 1028 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2024, 11:10:23 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2024, 11:20:53 AM by lfromnj »

https://freebeacon.com/campus/a-failed-medical-school-how-racial-preferences-supposedly-outlawed-in-california-have-persisted-at-ucla/

Within three years of Lucero's hiring in 2020, UCLA dropped from 6th to 18th place in U.S. News & World Report's rankings for medical research. And in some of the cohorts she admitted, more than 50 percent of students failed standardized tests on emergency medicine, family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics.

Those tests, known as shelf exams, which are typically taken at the end of each clinical rotation, measure basic medical knowledge and play a pivotal role in residency applications. Though only 5 percent of students fail each test nationally, the rates are much higher at UCLA, having increased tenfold in some subjects since 2020, according to internal data obtained by the Free Beacon.

After a Native American applicant was rejected in 2021, for example, Lucero chewed out the committee and made members sit through a two-hour lecture on Native history delivered by her own sister, according to three people familiar with the incident. No applications were reviewed that day, an official present for the lecture said.
"UCLA still produces some very good graduates," one professor said. "But a third to a half of the medical school is incredibly unqualified."
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 11:13:49 AM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 11:20:16 AM »

"Everybody hates me because I'm white!"
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 11:20:48 AM »

When you find out that almost every major US corporation is “overtaken” with DEI it’ll blow your mind. It’s because businesses are greedy and want money and if they can bring in a whole lot of different people and perspectives and break into new markets they’ll do it, all with including everyone. Not the white fragility mindset that comes from the right.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 11:21:29 AM »

More attacking by name and distracting from the topic. Last time you tried the same with John D Sailer and it turns out he was earlier than the NYT even if his source was iffy. Nice try. Sibarium is a good reporter who got a dean from Harvard take down.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 11:25:09 AM »

More attacking by name and distracting from the topic. Last time you tried the same with John D Sailer and it turns out he was earlier than the NYT even if his source was iffy. Nice try. Sibarium is a good reporter who got a dean from Harvard take down.

John Sailer is an idiot.

And I'm guessing "dean from Harvard take down" was a Rufo/Alckman tier hatchet job from the far right.

If this is the kind of source you find reputable, I will be sure to treat your future thread postings with the appropriate level of credulity.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 11:27:10 AM »

John Sailer is an idiot.

And I'm guessing "dean from Harvard take down" was a Rufo/Alckman tier hatchet job from the far right.

If this is the kind of source you find reputable, I will be sure to treat your future thread postings with the appropriate level of credulity.

I agree the sources are anonymous which is why I put a question mark. I always remain skeptical of anonymous sources but Sibarium is a good reporter who you dislike because of his focus. If you wish to attack the usage of anonymous sources I am fine with that but trying to distract from the thread by calling every right wing reporter a idiot because you don't like them is derailing the thread.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 11:28:46 AM »

When you find out that almost every major US corporation is “overtaken” with DEI it’ll blow your mind. It’s because businesses are greedy and want money and if they can bring in a whole lot of different people and perspectives and break into new markets they’ll do it, all with including everyone. Not the white fragility mindset that comes from the right.

It's not always a matter of greed but of sustainability. You can't find employees without reaching all demographics. Companies have just now realized this and contrary to what conservatives would acknowledge plenty of companies did prefer to hire only whites at one point or another.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 11:30:37 AM »

The left really shouldn't take a knee-jerk position defending every instance of DEI...it's entirely possible to both refute the cartoonish and propaganda-ish attacks on it by the right while also admitting when it goes too far and needs to be reigned in. This story if accurate (and that's a big "if" considering the source) is such an example.

For example, remember when Evanston, Illinois' school board tried to pass segregated high school classes? There was a massive backlash, and they backed down. But that backlash came initially almost exclusively from right-wing rabblerousers until some mainstream media sources picked it up. Now granted I'm not saying that liberals notably defended the school board in that case, mostly they were just silent on it....but that's still something that should've been left solely to such rightist trolls to highlight. The excesses of the San Francisco Board of Education* members that resulted in their recall are an example where they got a lot of attacks from the left as well, but that's probably largely because it's impossible to pretend that a successful recall in San Francisco was entirely right-wing backed.

*And yes, that was DEI excess-related, while the core issue was that they were not focusing on reopening schools after Covid and parents were angry about that, this was underscored by how they were dallying around with silly DEI things like renaming every single school named after a white male instead of focusing on reopening.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 11:32:37 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2024, 11:40:22 AM by lfromnj »

Ok so lets talk about this.
Where are you guys on this scale?

It isn't happening(fake news which I agree is within the realm of possibility, so far the reporter at hand hasn't really done it.)
It is happening but its not such a big deal
It is happening but its a good thing.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 11:33:04 AM »

John Sailer is an idiot.

I agree the sources are anonymous which is why I put a question mark. I always remain skeptical of anonymous sources but Sibarium is a good reporter who you dislike because of his focus. If you wish to attack the usage of anonymous sources I am fine with that but trying to distract from the thread by calling every right wing reporter a idiot because you don't like them is derailing the thread.

John Sailer isn't a "reporter". He's a right wing lobbyist and grifter whose singular purpose in life is punishing minorities for his inability to obtain respectable employment.

I assume midwit Sibarium is of a similar quality. These nonsensical "DEI" hit pieces are nothing more than part of a wider far right effort to attack American education, a well known fascist tactic.
You should know better than to mindlessly post this stuff.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2024, 11:33:27 AM »

Actually UCLA for being a public university, being 18 in research is not bad. Consider that most of the top medical schools in America are mostly private with far more funding and donations.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2024, 11:35:50 AM »

Actually UCLA for being a public university, being 18 in research is not bad. Consider that most of the top medical schools in America are mostly private with far more funding and donations.

Don't care about school ranking. Its really the 2nd part of that quote thats the issue.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 11:45:08 AM »

The left really shouldn't take a knee-jerk position defending every instance of DEI...it's entirely possible to both refute the cartoonish and propaganda-ish attacks on it by the right while also admitting when it goes too far and needs to be reigned in. This story if accurate (and that's a big "if" considering the source) is such an example.

For example, remember when Evanston, Illinois' school board tried to pass segregated high school classes? There was a massive backlash, and they backed down. But that backlash came initially almost exclusively from right-wing rabblerousers until some mainstream media sources picked it up. Now granted I'm not saying that liberals notably defended the school board in that case, mostly they were just silent on it....but that's still something that should've been left solely to such rightist trolls to highlight. The excesses of the San Francisco Board of Education* members that resulted in their recall are an example where they got a lot of attacks from the left as well, but that's probably largely because it's impossible to pretend that a successful recall in San Francisco was entirely right-wing backed.

*And yes, that was DEI excess-related, while the core issue was that they were not focusing on reopening schools after Covid and parents were angry about that, this was underscored by how they were dallying around with silly DEI things like renaming every single school named after a white male instead of focusing on reopening.

Even if this story has any truth to it, it is extremely unlikely it is due to the school attempting to increase the presence of minority candidates.

That's what this "DEI" boogeyman crap all boils down to. Disproportionate lack of black and low-income representation is fine, and any attempts to fix that are a threat to wealthy whites and Asians because the group that is overrepresented will naturally lose some of that if the group that is underrepresented gets some  attention. The implication is that naturally African Americans and other groups can't be doctors or any other skill position. It is rooted in racism and classism.
Hence why the far right media was trying to blame the Boeing equipment failures on DEI. It's the new go to boogeyman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2024, 11:50:01 AM »

Even if this story has any truth to it, it is extremely unlikely it is due to the school attempting to increase the presence of minority candidates.

That's what this "DEI" boogeyman crap all boils down to. Disproportionate lack of black and low-income representation is fine, and any attempts to fix that are a threat to wealthy whites and Asians because the group that is overrepresented will naturally lose some of that if the group that is underrepresented gets some  attention. The implication is that naturally African Americans and other groups can't be doctors or any other skill position. It is rooted in racism and classism.
Hence why the far right media was trying to blame the Boeing equipment failures on DEI. It's the new go to boogeyman.
Yes, blaming the Boeing stuff on DEI is really silly and a good example of right-wing fearmongering over nothing. But what about the aforementioned actions of the school boards in Evanston and San Francisco?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2024, 11:54:22 AM »

Yes, blaming the Boeing stuff on DEI is really silly and a good example of right-wing fearmongering over nothing. But what about the aforementioned actions of the school boards in Evanston and San Francisco?

Weirdly enough it wasn't over nothing. It was just a terrible game of telephone and wasn't Boeing itself. It was rather about DEI and the FAA. Some center left Twitter account reported there were DEI issues as early as the Obama administration regarding Federal Air traffic controllers. Obviously the right being the stupid group it is , made up Boeing woke DEI  etc.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2024, 11:55:49 AM »

Not familiar with the situation in Evanston. I'm somewhat suspicious of organized school board ousting thanks to the current Moms for Liberty climate which is thankfully getting a lot of pushback.
As far as I'm aware the San Francisco school board was more about dumb priorities than about strictly DEI issues - I think that was a bad look but is unrelated to the issue at hand.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2024, 12:00:03 PM »

Not familiar with the situation in Evanston. I'm somewhat suspicious of organized school board ousting thanks to the current Moms for Liberty climate which is thankfully getting a lot of pushback.
As far as I'm aware the San Francisco school board was more about dumb priorities than about strictly DEI issues - I think that was a bad look but is unrelated to the issue at hand.

The school board wasn't ousted in Evanston. They just reversed their plan to introduce literally segregated classes: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=547970.0

I covered that about the SF case, yes it was mostly because of dumb priorities, but those dumb priorities were DEI-related.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2024, 12:08:30 PM »

The school board wasn't ousted in Evanston. They just reversed their plan to introduce literally segregated classes: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=547970.0

I covered that about the SF case, yes it was mostly because of dumb priorities, but those dumb priorities were DEI-related.

There's a pretty wide gulf between opposition to trying to take Lincoln's name off a school (f**k whoever came up with that) and claiming that minorities are unqualified to enter the medical profession.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2024, 12:12:52 PM »

There's a pretty wide gulf between opposition to trying to take Lincoln's name off a school (f**k whoever came up with that) and claiming that minorities are unqualified to enter the medical profession.

It's not Lincolns name of a school that did it. It was actual DEI trying to "benefit" minorities just like this.  They tried banning Algebra in middle school along with removing  selected admissions for the STEM high school in San Francisco while keeping it for the art based one which was far more white.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2024, 12:25:26 PM »

It's not Lincolns name of a school that did it. It was actual DEI trying to "benefit" minorities just like this.  They tried banning Algebra in middle school along with removing  selected admissions for the STEM high school in San Francisco while keeping it for the art based one which was far more white.

And there you go with the "disadvantaged groups getting help is a threat to me" stuff. That's where the reasonable complaints end.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2024, 12:40:01 PM »

Has anyone here tried to figure out WHY scores are low to begin with ? Is it the math ? Probably. Math education in this country has been... terrible.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2024, 12:47:22 PM »

Whites and especially Asians aren’t overrepresented

Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2024, 12:51:12 PM »

Harvard is 21% Asian at the undergraduate level (not even including international students, many of whom are from wealthy families in China and India.) How the f**k is that underrepresentation?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2024, 12:54:09 PM »

The irony is that the type of African Americans who enter Harvard, might not be even low income.

https://time.com/6295329/harvard-diversity-problem-class-essay/

"A 2017 research study by The Equality of Opportunity Project (now Opportunity Insights) found that Harvard’s student body has about as many students from the top 1% by income as the bottom 60%. This information, coupled with Harvard’s racial diversity, gives sense to education policy expert Richard Kahlenberg’s 2018 finding that 71% of Black, Hispanic, and Native American students at Harvard came from the top socioeconomic fifth of their respective racial groups nationally. Kahlenberg noted that this percentage gets even higher for Asian and white students."

Why on earth are people talking about affirmative action, when we have to tackle the root issues, that lead to such a wacked up system in the first place ?

Just a reminder folks that the UC System in California; with no affirmative action at all banned since the 1990s,  UC Davis for example has around 40 percent non affluent students. Hmm interesting.

Or why don't we try to promote public regional universities to help boost income and class mobility ? Why are we talking about bandaid solutions that don't solve the real issues ?

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies