The Atlantic: The Young Voters Who Don’t Really Know Donald Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:49:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlantic: The Young Voters Who Don’t Really Know Donald Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Atlantic: The Young Voters Who Don’t Really Know Donald Trump  (Read 817 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2024, 02:07:12 PM »

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/05/biden-young-voters-polling-2024/678436/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=true-anthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 02:08:23 PM »

"The most targeted data suggest that Biden maintains a double-digit lead over Trump among voters ages 18 to 29. It’s smaller than it was four years ago, but experts say Biden has a good opportunity to run it up."

"Surveys that specifically poll voters under 30—as opposed to those in which young people are merely a subset of respondents—show Biden leading Trump by double digits. In the Harvard Youth Poll, a biennial survey considered the gold standard for measuring young voters, Biden led Trump by 13 points among registered voters. That advantage was virtually identical to the margin found in surveys (one national and one across several battleground states) commissioned this spring by Voters of Tomorrow and NextGen America, a pair of Democrat-aligned groups who are targeting the youth vote, according to summaries they shared with me."

"Perhaps the best data point for Biden is that he’s hardly worse off among young voters than President Barack Obama was at this point in his 2012 reelection bid. Like Biden, Obama won big among voters under 30 during his first presidential victory but struggled to communicate his record to them. Della Volpe told me that in Harvard’s polling, Obama had the same 13-point advantage over Mitt Romney among registered voters in the spring of 2012 that Biden has over Trump now. He would nearly double that margin by the fall, thanks in large part to an aggressive ad campaign that portrayed the former Massachusetts governor and businessman as an out-of-touch and greedy financier."

These stuck out. Didn't know that about Obama's polling.
GAinDC

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 02:25:35 PM »

I saw a reddit thread where someone who was born in 2005 had just found out that same sex marriage wasn't legalized nationwide until 2015 and was shocked. This will be the first election they're eligible to vote in.

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 02:27:15 PM »

I saw a reddit thread where someone who was born in 2005 had just found out that same sex marriage wasn't legalized nationwide until 2015 and was shocked. This will be the first election they're eligible to vote in.

Freshly indoctrinated and blackmailed into, probably, supporting Biden sadly enough. They'll reap the consequences with continued inflation.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 03:35:35 PM »

What is Trump's policy on inflation
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 03:51:54 PM »

Freshly indoctrinated and blackmailed into, probably, supporting Biden sadly enough. They'll reap the consequences with continued inflation.
It just a reddit thing, go on youtube twitter whatever and you see a lot of gen z people supporting Donald trump and making pro-trump memes and videos and that
Hell i check and most redditor say they only support Joe because they think trump is worser and even that now not working as effectively before.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 04:03:01 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2024, 04:06:41 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

It just a reddit thing, go on youtube twitter whatever and you see a lot of gen z people supporting Donald trump and making pro-trump memes and videos and that
Hell i check and most redditor say they only support Joe because they think trump is worser and even that now not working as effectively before.

Feel like it depends on the platform.

Generally I find young people on Reddit to lean Biden. YouTube is mixed but I’d say lean Biden as well thought he Trump voices are louder. I also find that generally more niche sort of forums (I.e. atlas) have more young left leaning young hand unless the topic is more predisposed to being right wing like gun, bitcoin, or bodybuilding forums.

I find Trump supporting people to be prominent on Instagram - I’m not sure if it’s that the Trump voices but I almost never se pro-Biden/pro-Dem content on there. I wonder if it’s in part due to the more visual nature of the app - it seems like Trump supporters generally tend to be more extroverted in their support in terms of wearing MAGA merch or covering their home with political flags.

TikTok and Twitter are both really mixed vibes. TikTok definitely has a lot of politically more disengaged young people or the types who don’t vote or vote third party for weird reasons. Twitter used to be more liberal but Musk’s takeover and him messing with the algorithm has changed it.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 04:11:42 PM »

Generally I find young people on Reddit to lean Biden. YouTube is mixed but I’d say lean Biden as well thought he Trump voices are louder. I also find that generally more niche sort of forums (I.e. atlas) have more young left leaning young hand unless the topic is more predisposed to being right wing like gun, bitcoin, or bodybuilding forums.

I find Trump supporting people to be prominent on Instagram - I’m not sure if it’s that the Trump voices but I almost never se pro-Biden/pro-Dem content on there. I wonder if it’s in part due to the more visual nature of the app - it seems like Trump supporters generally tend to be more extroverted in their support in terms of wearing MAGA merch or covering their home with political flags.

TikTok and Twitter are both really mixed vibes. TikTok definitely has a lot of politically more disengaged young people or the types who don’t vote or vote third party for weird reasons. Twitter used to be more liberal but Musk’s takeover and him messing with the algorithm has changed it.
True your right about most thing and youtube i feel like is a bit center and depends on what videos your watching and what the political leaning of the channel
And tiktok well as you said disengaged youth who either are far-left or far-right
And twitter? used to be leftists but now it quite conservative.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 04:17:35 PM »

I had faith in the next generation of voters for awhile, clearly that was misplaced.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 04:34:05 PM »

I had faith in the next generation of voters for awhile, clearly that was misplaced.

I still think Biden will do better with them than polling suggests though.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 04:40:20 PM »

True your right about most thing and youtube i feel like is a bit center and depends on what videos your watching and what the political leaning of the channel
And tiktok well as you said disengaged youth who either are far-left or far-right

Popular platforms like YT/TikTok basically work by constructing a bubble around you. If I were to go off my YT/X/TikTok feed then Biden is about to lose in a 50 state rout.

Reddit is a Biden echo chamber since it's pretty much just jealous losers in dead-end IT/customer service jobs.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 04:50:17 PM »

YouTube is more mixed but you see more content like this

TERF content or Gen Z female conservative content.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 04:58:37 PM »

And let's not forget, a lot of people who claim to be PRO-LGBTQ today, have actually bullied LGBTQ people in the past. I've seen the hypocrisy myself IRL. In schools, it's not really that they'll accept you as easily if you're gay. They'll pick on you and make it hard. If you stand out, they'll pick on you. LGBTQ people always stand out, so they have to hide their gender preference.
有爭議嘅領土 of The Figgis Agency
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2024, 06:22:49 PM »

Popular platforms like YT/TikTok basically work by constructing a bubble around you.

This is also true for Instagram and Facebook; the political content you see should be entirely dictated by what accounts you follow and whose stories you click on.

My personal IG story feed is mostly apolitical, but the minority of political content that I see from the minority of my network that regularly posts stories that I regularly click on is very strongly left-coded activist-media complex type content. I also see some anti-PC, anti-wokeness, trans-skeptic, feminism-skeptic, and Andrew Tate-ish content from a handful of non-college 20-something men- but the Tate-ish content generally isn’t that political (or remotely misogynistic), and this category is as drowned out by left-coded content by a similar margin as overall political content is drowned out by apolitical content. Idk very many people IRL who turned 18 after the 2020 election though.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2024, 06:26:25 PM »

If Trump wins it will not be because seniors switch, it will be due to people in the age 30-45 range who find their left leaning peers obnoxious. While it may not be a large amount of people, it potentially will be enough to flip the result.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2024, 06:31:59 PM »

If Trump wins it will not be because seniors switch, it will be due to people in the age 30-45 range who find their left leaning peers obnoxious. While it may not be a large amount of people, it potentially will be enough to flip the result.
True leftists are well maybe it just me but a lot of times obnoxious and annoying and with the things ongoing a few hundred thousand people voting for Trump due to leftists being little annoying s might be enough to flip a state or two.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2024, 06:32:24 PM »

No it will be due to gains in urban and suburban areas due to the housing market situation.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2024, 06:33:57 PM »

No it will be due to gains in urban and suburban areas due to the housing market situation.

There is a high overlap with these people and non-white working class voters annoyed at blue state Dem housing policies.
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2024, 07:19:20 PM »

I'm surprised that anyone above the age of twelve doesn't know what, or who, Obergefell is. (I'll make an allowance for Generation Skibidi.)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2024, 07:48:33 PM »

And let's not forget, a lot of people who claim to be PRO-LGBTQ today, have actually bullied LGBTQ people in the past. I've seen the hypocrisy myself IRL. In schools, it's not really that they'll accept you as easily if you're gay. They'll pick on you and make it hard. If you stand out, they'll pick on you. LGBTQ people always stand out, so they have to hide their gender preference.

I’m actually ok with “light bullying” on this sort of stuff because it shows you’re comfortable with others and builds resilience. I got called “gay” in a negative way by quite a few of my conservative friends in HS and I just flipped their own logic against them and tell them they’re too scared to handle a real man.

I don’t think these types of people are really anti-LGBTQ and generally pretty agnostic on the issue
AlterEgo

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2024, 08:03:36 PM »

Reddit is a Biden echo chamber since it's pretty much just jealous losers in dead-end IT/customer service jobs.

Aww, bless your heart.

The only "losers" are people who look down on those doing an honest day's work.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2024, 08:15:09 PM »

I’m actually ok with “light bullying” on this sort of stuff because it shows you’re comfortable with others and builds resilience. I got called “gay” in a negative way by quite a few of my conservative friends in HS and I just flipped their own logic against them and tell them they’re too scared to handle a real man.

I don’t think these types of people are really anti-LGBTQ and generally pretty agnostic on the issue

That's exactly part of the problem. We normalize this "light bullying", it's only light/minor. It's harmless.

It's not normal...

It's not done in a friendly manner, it is outright bullying. And it adds to the stigmatization. And maybe for one person it indeed would be meant as a joke, but it influences other people nearby and might stimulate homophobia in others.

While it can really be damaging for some people, in part also leading to them hiding who they are.

"Build some resilience", is often said to a man... To a person that might not even identify as a man in the first place lol.
有爭議嘅領土 of The Figgis Agency
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2024, 08:21:30 PM »

Aww, bless your heart.

The only "losers" are people who look down on those doing an honest day's work.

I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to internalize this life lesson. Pre-Brandon me had a lot of personal insecurities to work through.

Political Reddit is almost as trashy as pre-Elon Twitter was- not that I have a particularly thorough understanding of either aside from seeing certain posts crossposted to/from r/neoliberal.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2024, 09:03:30 PM »

Popular platforms like YT/TikTok basically work by constructing a bubble around you. If I were to go off my YT/X/TikTok feed then Biden is about to lose in a 50 state rout.

Honestly a large subset of these people on all these platforms are “losers” are different ways. Many of the conservatives I see on Instagram are “losers” in the sense they seem very gullible to hustle culture bitcoin type scams and complain about their inability to get laid on many reels talking about issues of gender.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2024, 11:03:09 PM »

Honestly a large subset of these people on all these platforms are “losers” are different ways. Many of the conservatives I see on Instagram are “losers” in the sense they seem very gullible to hustle culture bitcoin type scams and complain about their inability to get laid on many reels talking about issues of gender.

No. Reddit has a particularly insectoid type of loser. They hate anyone having anything more than them. Have a car?  you. A wife?  you. Homeowner? Better believe,  you.

They’re so deeply alienated from one another that any “advice” they give in relating to another person, works through the medium of another person. Any relationship needs therapy, any workplace friction needs HR. They are lost.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies