With European support, North African nations leave migrants stranded in the desert.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:40:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  With European support, North African nations leave migrants stranded in the desert.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: With European support, North African nations leave migrants stranded in the desert.  (Read 453 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2024, 01:48:54 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2024, 02:15:47 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2024/eu-migrant-north-africa-mediterranean/#

“There is Algeria, follow the light,” the Tunisian official barked at the Black migrants. “If you’re seen here, you’ll be shot.”

François, a 38-year-old Cameroonian, obeyed, jumping off the bed of a pickup truck near the desolate Algerian frontier. A day earlier, the rickety boat attempting to carry him and other hopeful sub-Saharans to Europe — including his wife and 6-year-old stepson — had been interdicted by the Tunisian coast guard in the cobalt blue waters off the coast. Still wet and cold, the group of 30 migrants, including two pregnant women, now walked toward their punishment: the desert.

“I think that Tunisia isn’t responsible for what’s happening,” François said. “The E.U. doesn’t like us. Why is the sub-Saharan man seen as garbage?”

Why does he want to go where he is seen as garbage?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 02:35:44 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2024, 02:59:46 PM by Zinneke »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2024/eu-migrant-north-africa-mediterranean/#

“There is Algeria, follow the light,” the Tunisian official barked at the Black migrants. “If you’re seen here, you’ll be shot.”

François, a 38-year-old Cameroonian, obeyed, jumping off the bed of a pickup truck near the desolate Algerian frontier. A day earlier, the rickety boat attempting to carry him and other hopeful sub-Saharans to Europe — including his wife and 6-year-old stepson — had been interdicted by the Tunisian coast guard in the cobalt blue waters off the coast. Still wet and cold, the group of 30 migrants, including two pregnant women, now walked toward their punishment: the desert.

“I think that Tunisia isn’t responsible for what’s happening,” François said. “The E.U. doesn’t like us. Why is the sub-Saharan man seen as garbage?”

Why does he want to go where he is seen as garbage?

Is this a serious question? Because he and millions of others see on their TVs, smartphones, etc that life in Europe is some sort of El Dorado. But then he may also be referring to the transit North African countries, where I can guarentee you the racism sub-Saharan Africans face is far more overt than in (most of) Europe, despite what Americans here love to think about Europe (as a racist continent par excellence). And in Brussels too the most racism I have seen is North African on Black African and North African on East Asian, hands down.

As to the overall article, I maintain that the EU is scamming its taxpayers through the securitisation of the migration issue, by "cooperating" with these human rights violating regimes that then send their spies to control their diasporas here (beating them if they oppose the Morroccan or ALgerian regimes)

but then it is also scamming its taxpayers :

- by funding Frontex to the hilt even though it has consistently failed in its mission by spending money on military toys to look hard.

- by (and this is an issue the Left needs to wake up to) claiming a silver bullet of "International Development" these countries would stop migration when we've seen that a lot of the development projects are ineffecient messes that don't actually stop the down and out of a specific society from wanting to come to Europe.

- by developing expensive Rwanda-style schemes when simply lifting the burden out of big cities and into some new settlements would be a more effective measure.

The EU does this because it is still stuck in the 1990s where it thinks "frameworks" and international treaties mean that actors will respect their obligations within them and we'll all hold hands and sing cumbaya after a Morocco summit, and maybe some of the lecherous EU officials will go off and enjoy some underage prostitution like in the good old days. Belgium just recently signed an agreement with Morocco that effectively allows them more influence with their diaspora here and in exchange they must accomodate prisoners convicted here into their prisons...that they'll likely immediately release. It's all done without any kind of arm twisting, just naive, feckless, weak politicians who have no sense of patriotism and don't understand how to exert state interests because they are all just checking the boxes their expensive degrees taught them to check. Countries like Morocco have been taking the piss out of European countries for the good part of a decade now due to our dependence on them for natural resources and controlling immigration (which they don't do) and we just sit back and take the hit.

“The fact is European states do not want to be the ones to have dirty hands. They do not want to be considered responsible for the violation of human rights,” said Marie-Laure Basilien-Gainche, a human rights and legal expert at France’s Jean Moulin Lyon 3 university. “So they are subcontracting these violations to third states. But I think, really, according to international law, they are responsible.”

Marie-Laure Basilien-Gainche sounds exactly like the kind of person who doesn't understand that the immigration system she wants means an Cameroonian drug dealer looking to secure a market in Europe via an illegal crossing will take the social housing of a Yemeni woman who wants to escape a Civil War and a horrible patriarchy telling her what to wear and how to act. Marie-Laure's international law on migration should be scrapped for a new regime that actually encourages the latter Yemeni woman to be able to reach Europe before the drug dealer or criminal.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 01:44:28 PM »

But apart from that, everything is fine?
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 07:29:25 AM »

As a fellow Cameroonian, I'm not surprised my compatriots are running away from the country, we have the longest serving  dictator elected head of state after all. My cousin did the same thing a year ago though unlike this unfortunate man, he wasn't stopped and is now in a refugee camp in Italy.

Though I must say using the desert is way too risky at this point. Almost anyone with more than a high school level of education or at least 2 years of work experience can get into Canada legally within a year provided you have some money, so that's what most people do these days.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 11:10:47 AM »

As a fellow Cameroonian, I'm not surprised my compatriots are running away from the country, we have the longest serving  dictator elected head of state after all. My cousin did the same thing a year ago though unlike this unfortunate man, he wasn't stopped and is now in a refugee camp in Italy.

Though I must say using the desert is way too risky at this point. Almost anyone with more than a high school level of education or at least 2 years of work experience can get into Canada legally within a year provided you have some money, so that's what most people do these days.
I assume if you know both English and French it is also an extra incentive for Canada.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 11:23:45 AM »

I assume if you know both English and French it is also an extra incentive for Canada.

Yes we're basically the only country in the world other than Canada where French and English are the official languages and I would assume 15 to 20% of the population here is fluent in both languages. That gives us a huge advantage in the canadian immigration points system.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 01:58:43 PM »

You're right, and Biya is propped up by the French (deep) state, so Meloni is right to call out French hypocrisy when their disgusting Françafrique policies are not making the situation of those countries any better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies