Is Texas' Future Blue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Texas' Future Blue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Texas' Future Blue?  (Read 1046 times)
King Man
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2024, 04:28:26 PM »

Or will it trend red, or become a sort of mega NC?
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 11:11:03 PM »

TX will vote for a D nominee again sometime this century, provided Don Giovanni doesn't manage to fully implement Project 2025 if he wins in November.

Also TX can swing D and trend R in a hypothetical future election if it swings D by less than the country as a whole.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 11:13:50 PM »

It´s PURPLE
As Ohio, Iowa and Florida go GOP they have to be replaced.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 07:13:39 AM »

Here's what the future looks like (my crystal ball), circa 2040s

Pure tossups: AZ, DE, NJ, NM, NC, PA, RI, TX
Lean/Likely R: AK, KS, MI, NV, SC, TN, UT, WI
Lean/Likely D: GA, HI, IL, MN, NY
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 12:01:28 PM »

I think people got way too excited about this based on 2016.  It's still somewhat less college educated and way more religious (including plenty of the college educated people) than the national average.  There's also a lot of evidence Texas Hispanics are culturally assimilating toward white Evangelicals.  That having been said, I don't think it will ever go back to being R+25, but there's no reason it wouldn't stay R+10ish for many years.  Maybe Dems eventually win it in a 2008 scenario as a one-time thing.   
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 02:26:39 PM »

It was always going to be a swing state at most- no way Republicans would let it slip away completely- but Democrats aren't doing the work I've pointed out that they need to do to make it happen there over the last few years.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 01:52:37 PM »

I think people got way too excited about this based on 2016.  It's still somewhat less college educated and way more religious (including plenty of the college educated people) than the national average.  There's also a lot of evidence Texas Hispanics are culturally assimilating toward white Evangelicals.  That having been said, I don't think it will ever go back to being R+25, but there's no reason it wouldn't stay R+10ish for many years.  Maybe Dems eventually win it in a 2008 scenario as a one-time thing.   
What if a Conservadem wins as a Senator?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 02:08:41 PM »

Texas doesn't really have them anymore.   Cuellar is basically the last one standing and now he's under a probably career ending indictment.  Texas conservadems were in terminal decline by the early 2000's and virtually wiped out in the early 2010's. 

IDK maybe there's a pro-life Tejano Dem representing the RGV in the state senate who could still fill this role, but I seriously doubt it.  Rural white ancestral Dem areas aren't relevant enough for a Manchin or even Fetterman type to take off. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 02:57:31 PM »

No it's not it's gonna continue to trend red if ALLRED a football star can't win it it's a lost cause
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 07:40:13 PM »

Texas doesn't really have them anymore.   Cuellar is basically the last one standing and now he's under a probably career ending indictment.  Texas conservadems were in terminal decline by the early 2000's and virtually wiped out in the early 2010's. 

IDK maybe there's a pro-life Tejano Dem representing the RGV in the state senate who could still fill this role, but I seriously doubt it.  Rural white ancestral Dem areas aren't relevant enough for a Manchin or even Fetterman type to take off. 

Cuellar will be fine, honestly.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 12:12:40 PM »

Cuellar will be fine, honestly.
For this November probably yes but no way Cuellar survives until the 2026 Midterms and if Biden wins narrowly (I am still one of those people who thinks he will) then Cuellar is TOAST in 2026 either in a D-Primary or GE.
DS0816
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2024, 10:01:21 AM »

Or will it trend red, or become a sort of mega NC?

Trends:

• North Carolina—Bellwether
• Texas—Lean Republican

The only states which have voted for the winners in the last four election cycles—which are now the longest unbroken streak—are Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

2012 Barack Obama and 2020 Joe Biden each won the U.S. Popular Vote by, and this is using a whole number, +4. Had they won by +5, they would have also carried the next state within reach—North Carolina. I think this state will start, here in 2024, reliably carrying for U.S. presidential election winners.

Texas is the next Top 10 populous state, after North Carolina, within reach for Democrats.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2024, 12:35:26 PM »

NC and TX should be cautious by Rs there are always surprises in eDays AZ and GA, ME in 20 and FL was supposed to stay R in 2008 and 2012 it was OH that was only supposed to go D in 2008/12.

So, I wouldn't count Allred out or Stein, it's a longshot that's what wave insurance means it can but not automatically flip to opposite party

Beto at the end lost by 11 but he was surging but we lost the state of TX, due to Uvulde

I would be pretty mad if ALLRED won not Powell she is down 15 won on Eday based on Trump being sentence to home confinement
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2024, 02:50:30 PM »

The best hope Dems have of Blexas is Austin and DFW continuing to grow and voting more and more like Silicon Valley with the white liberal techies they are attracting.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2024, 10:21:45 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2024, 10:25:10 PM by Burke Bro »

The challenge for Democrats in Texas is that if they continue to take on the identity of a technocratic, college educated party, they will make gains with suburban voters but at the expense of losing Latino support. Third and fourth generation Latinos, in particular, have no perceived loyalty towards the Democratic Party and tend to be more populist in their political views. The only winning coalition for Democrats in Texas is a working class coalition and that requires a rejection of the values of the technocracy- particularly on issues that impact Texans disproportionately such as immigration and energy.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2024, 11:19:13 PM »

The challenge for Democrats in Texas is that if they continue to take on the identity of a technocratic, college educated party, they will make gains with suburban voters but at the expense of losing Latino support. Third and fourth generation Latinos, in particular, have no perceived loyalty towards the Democratic Party and tend to be more populist in their political views. The only winning coalition for Democrats in Texas is a working class coalition and that requires a rejection of the values of the technocracy- particularly on issues that impact Texans disproportionately such as immigration and energy.

I agree with the gist of what you said, but do you not think upward socioeconomic and educational mobility among multi-generational Tejanos (or older immigrant waves) would result in college-educated suburbs also becoming progressively more Latino over time? I don't have a solid grasp of demographic shifts in Texas Triangle suburbs, but I would expect some of the long-term D shift there to be due to urban flight and racial diversification (from Latinos) alone.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2024, 12:00:44 AM »

I agree with the gist of what you said, but do you not think upward socioeconomic and educational mobility among multi-generational Tejanos (or older immigrant waves) would result in college-educated suburbs also becoming progressively more Latino over time? I don't have a solid grasp of demographic shifts in Texas Triangle suburbs, but I would expect some of the long-term D shift there to be due to urban flight and racial diversification (from Latinos) alone.

To some level, yes. But I think it would also be a mistake to conflate upward socioeconomic mobility with upward educational mobility. As the value of a college education drops and manufacturing jobs are reshored, there really is no economic incentive to attain a higher level of education (at least in the sense that we think of education today), and that incentive will only get stronger as wage growth in blue collar professions outpaces white collar professions during what is likely to be a prolonged period of high inflation. Given time, these changes will again change the character and the values of the suburbs.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2024, 12:29:16 PM »

Outside of Cuellar who is DOA in 2024 and who is more of a moderate than a Conservadem, there isn't one I could think of who is in the wings. It's more likely that a more mainstream Dem similar to Beto could win if it's a particularly good year for Dems.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies