NJ, MN or VA: which one has the best chance to flip?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:18:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NJ, MN or VA: which one has the best chance to flip?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
New Jersey

Minnesota

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: NJ, MN or VA: which one has the best chance to flip?  (Read 308 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2024, 01:38:44 PM »

These are three traditionally blue states in play this election. Which one has the best chance to flip?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 01:42:57 PM »

Minnesota due to the twin metro area, as well as the fact that it was closer in 2020. Trump is gaining a lot in urban areas due to the housing situation (also why he leads in NE02), while Biden seems to be holding up in rural areas. The current WI and MN polling are not too far apart.
iceman
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 02:15:31 PM »

Only Minnesota is a plausible and conceivable flip. New Jersey and Virginia is just too suburban and too affluent for Trump to win.

Virginia and Colorado are the 2 ex-battleground states that won’t vote GOP again in the foreseeable future in today’s political alignments.

And also, I don’t see New Jersey as actually in play at all this cycle, I don’t see any polling to suggest that.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 02:17:36 PM »

Only Minnesota is a plausible and conceivable flip. New Jersey and Virginia is just too suburban and too affluent for Trump to win.

Virginia and Colorado are the 2 ex-battleground states that won’t vote GOP again in the foreseeable future in today’s political alignments.
I think Trump gains in the suburbs, but yeah there are no major inner cities in either NJ or VA for Trump to make major gains in.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »

I think Trump gains in the suburbs, but yeah there are no major inner cities in either NJ or VA for Trump to make major gains in.

NOVA does have a statistically meaningful Muslim and South Asian vote, though.  And there's more pro-life presence in the suburbs than NJ or MN.  FWIW he districts in the state legislature where they are clustered are usually like 75D/25R, but they only voted like 65D/35R last year.

I still think the answer's MN because of how close it was in 2016, but the  apparentNorth/South polarization does give me pause.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 02:23:32 PM »

MN of course, but it would be nice to get some good quality polling in Virginia. I don't expect Trump has any real chance to win VA, but I think the margin to be more like 2016 than 2020.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 02:25:55 PM »

NOVA does have a statistically meaningful Muslim and South Asian vote, though.  And there's more pro-life presence in the suburbs than NJ or MN.  FWIW he districts in the state legislature where they are clustered are usually like 75D/25R, but they only voted like 65D/35R last year.

I still think the answer's MN because of how close it was in 2016, but the  apparentNorth/South polarization does give me pause.
It is really North/South polarization or just polling underestimating Trump in the Rust Belt again? I mostly see urban/rural depolarization from NYT. In this case MN and WI do not vote that far apart.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 03:15:50 PM »

I wouldnt describe these states as competitive, Trump lacks $$ to expand map into expense areas priced like Jersey or NovA. If Trump wins any of these states it means Joe had much big problems else where.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 03:16:57 PM »

New Jersey is not in play, and neither is Virginia. Minnesota is really not either. These threads are becoming a tad ridiculous.

It's going to be pretty wild if Trump ends up losing worse than the polls suggest and in hindsight, it's clear that he should not have been wasting time in states like these (and NY) that were never going to go to him.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 03:19:11 PM »

New Jersey is not in play, and neither is Virginia. Minnesota is really not either. These threads are becoming a tad ridiculous.

It's going to be pretty wild if Trump ends up losing worse than the polls suggest and in hindsight, it's clear that he should not have been wasting time in states like these (and NY) that were never going to go to him.
The polls show MN and VA closer than any of the sunbelt states Biden won. Just a stupid decision to run again after 9% inflation and 8% mortgage rates.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2024, 03:24:38 PM »

If you think New Jersey is in play you need to go outside and quit the politics talk for a while.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 03:41:06 PM »

MN of course, but it would be nice to get some good quality polling in Virginia. I don't expect Trump has any real chance to win VA, but I think the margin to be more like 2016 than 2020.

Yup. VA definitely doesn’t feel like 2020 anymore. It’s time for NYT/Siena to start including these three states in their regular polling rotation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2024, 04:53:56 PM »

Minnesota.

You are deluded to think he a chance in the other two.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2024, 05:17:53 PM »

Minnesota, but Virginia's not close behind. Youngkin's still pretty popular there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies