Trump charms St. Paul crowd during rare MN rally
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:41:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump charms St. Paul crowd during rare MN rally
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump charms St. Paul crowd during rare MN rally  (Read 894 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2024, 12:58:40 PM »

Analysts are starting to talk about Minnesota like a battleground state. Was Biden’s primary performance a sign of things to come?
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 01:03:02 PM »

Look like trump definitely playing on his quite natural Memeness and trying to make Joe biden look like a complete idiot which honestly is kind of working on me
And i remember Republicans said they were now focusing on Minnesota and Virginia since they felt that the swing states were either pretty safe for the Rs or naturally leaning towards them So i got a feeling that trump is going to try to flip those 2 states.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 01:13:51 PM »

Look like trump definitely playing on his quite natural Memeness and trying to make Joe biden look like a complete idiot which honestly is kind of working on me
And i remember Republicans said they were now focusing on Minnesota and Virginia since they felt that the swing states were either pretty safe for the Rs or naturally leaning towards them So i got a feeling that trump is going to try to flip those 2 states.

A lot of people are congratulating me on calling Virginia as a battleground. Tremendous golf courses. Tremendous wine. We love our contractors and consultants.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 01:15:50 PM »

Yes, MN is a battleground. I still think Biden is favoured but it's definitely in play. I expect a Biden +1/+2 win. In case Trump wins by as much the polls currently predict than I believe MN might flip.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 01:16:43 PM »

Analysts are starting to talk about Minnesota like a battleground state. Was Biden’s primary performance a sign of things to come?

Donald Trump had a weaker primary performance in MN than Biden did.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 01:16:44 PM »

A lot of people are congratulating me on calling Virginia as a battleground. Tremendous golf courses. Tremendous wine. We love our contractors and consultants.

VA is still lean D at the moment, i feel but I guess if you include lean states into the battleground ones than yes, it's a battleground as well.

I expect a Biden +3/+4 win here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 01:17:23 PM »

Donald Trump had a much weaker primary performance in MN than Biden did.

Trump had competition. Biden did not.

(no one took Williamson or Phillips seriously and anyone one could criticize Biden for, one could criticize Philips for as well - except for age).
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 01:17:51 PM »

"He's still got it!"
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 01:19:47 PM »

Donald Trump had a much weaker primary performance in MN than Biden did.

Trump had competition. Biden did not.

(no one took Williamson or Phillips seriously and anyone one could criticize Biden for, one could criticize Philips for as well - except for age).

Yeah, I believe Nikki “Birdbrain” Haley was still in the race at the time, outspending TRUMP 15-to-1 and still getting smoked.

Much different than the underfunded and blackballed Dean Phillips campaign.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 01:21:06 PM »

I am willing to bet real money with you Biden will win VA by at least 5% margin.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2024, 01:25:47 PM »

I am willing to bet real money with you Biden will win VA by at least 5% margin.

Biden opened a Hampton Roads office, a clear sign of weakness with the Blacks. If Virginia is in play, what does that say about his standing in NC and GA?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 01:28:27 PM »

Yes, MN is a battleground. I still think Biden is favoured but it's definitely in play. I expect a Biden +1/+2 win. In case Trump wins by as much the polls currently predict than I believe MN might flip.
I think MN does not vote far off WI and MI. Trump is gaining mostly in urban areas.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »

Bidens also opened offices in Florida. If we go by where he's opened offices, then the map is wider than we think. But I suspect it might just be the campaigns strategy of apparently spreading itself out among a large number of states.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2024, 01:32:31 PM »

Bidens also opened offices in Florida. If we go by where he's opened offices, then the map is wider than we think. But I suspect it might just be the campaigns strategy of apparently spreading itself out among a large number of states.
MN is polling around Biden +2, while Florida is polling around Trump +8. Though MN is unlikely to be the tipping point state unless we see a gigantic urban-rural depolarization.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2024, 01:34:11 PM »

Biden has a lot of money to spend. And even though Florida is a reach state for Democrats there are plenty of big name donors in FL who want their bread buttered.

The Virginia office is more notable, because no winning Democratic ticket should ever need to open an office in Hampton.

The VA, NC and GA polls make sense when looking at them together.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2024, 01:37:42 PM »

I remember people jokingly saying that Biden is trying to lose the election and each day it seem more true
Why is he spending precious money and people in states that are far into the trump train such as Florida as trump is slowly trying to turn Minnesota which is only a +2 Biden Rep
He should try to make sure places such as Minnesota Virginia or well Michigan and Pennsylvania don't flip if he want to win.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2024, 01:39:14 PM »

Biden opened a Hampton Roads office, a clear sign of weakness with the Blacks. If Virginia is in play, what does that say about his standing in NC and GA?

Campaigns often open up campaign offices in likely/safe states for a variety of reasons - not necessarily because the state in any immediate danger of flipping. In this case, it could be in part to do well enough in that region of VA to help flip VA-02. Also I'm assuming you mean Hampton and not Hampton Roads - Hampton Roads is just the body of water separating Hampton and Norfolk.

If Biden started spawning up like 20+ Virginia campaign offices across the state then it'd start to indicate they think they have real problems there.

I think it should be more concerning Trump has opened up very few campaign offices even in the main swing states.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2024, 01:39:33 PM »

I remember people jokingly saying that Biden is trying to lose the election and each day it seem more true
Why is he spending precious money and people in states that are far into the trump train such as Florida as trump is slowly trying to turn Minnesota which is only a +2 Biden Rep
He should try to make sure places such as Minnesota Virginia or well Michigan and Pennsylvania don't flip if he want to win.
I think Biden is trying harder to win than Trump right now, but extremely incompetent at it. He is mostly appeasing the left base which would have come home anyway at the expense of swing voters, continuing to claim that the economy is good instead of feeling the pain of voters, and running ads relitigating COVID.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2024, 01:39:59 PM »

He won't win MN
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2024, 01:40:50 PM »

Campaigns often open up campaign offices in likely/safe states for a variety of reasons - not necessarily because the state in any immediate danger of flipping. In this case, it could be in part to do well enough in that region of VA to help flip VA-02. Also I'm assuming you mean Hampton and not Hampton Roads - Hampton Roads is just the body of water separating Hampton and Norfolk.

If Biden started spawning up like 20+ Virginia campaign offices across the state then it'd start to indicate they think they have real problems there.

I think it should be more concerning Trump has opened up very few campaign offices even in the main swing states.
Biden is a drag on downballot, so if helping downballot is his goal then he should stay out of the states.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 01:43:57 PM »

Biden is a drag on downballot, so if helping downballot is his goal then he should stay out of the states.

Campaign office could help try and increase base turnout amongst straight ticket D voters in that region of Virginia which would benefit both Biden and Cotter-Smasal.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 01:45:07 PM »

Campaign offices aren’t part of the TRUMP campaign priorities. Campaign offices are a Bill Clinton-era holdover, aka something consultants have convinced campaign managers are necessary without much proof of their usefulness at the presidential level.

TRUMP is dominating earned media, meeting voters where they are. And that’s social media for young people and cable news for old people. Biden is hoping his pre-internet campaign can squeeze out enough college-educated women, but again, he’s relying on old campaign tactics.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2024, 01:45:33 PM »

Trump had a wonderful time in San Jose, CA back in 2016.

Hillary had some good times in North Carolina and Arizona, since the Blue Wall was holding and the tipping point state of note was safely in her court.

Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2024, 01:46:22 PM »

Donald Trump had a weaker primary performance in MN than Biden did.
Joe Biden is the incumbent, not Trump. And Haley had far more $$$ than Biden’s challengers.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2024, 01:47:49 PM »

Campaign offices aren’t part of the TRUMP campaign priorities. Campaign offices are a Bill Clinton-era holdover, aka something consultants have convinced campaign managers are necessary without much proof of their usefulness at the presidential level.

TRUMP is dominating earned media, meeting voters where they are. And that’s social media for young people and cable news for old people. Biden is hoping his pre-internet campaign can squeeze out enough college-educated women, but again, he’s relying on old campaign tactics.

Campaign offices play a key role in ground campaign which I would argue is still very important today - even with modern technologies and mass media. In 2020 for instance, there were clear consequences of not having ground campaigns, especially in black communities in key states which were some of the only communities to see turnout declines 2016-->2020.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies