Trump floats third term at NRA convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:16:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump floats third term at NRA convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump floats third term at NRA convention  (Read 1508 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2024, 05:07:36 PM »
« edited: May 19, 2024, 06:09:48 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Can we not sleepwalk into letting this guy back into power,please!?

You have to take everything he says, no matter how exaggerated, at face value. He's a madman and like his first term, even the lowest, worst expectations possible will not be an exaggeration.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2024, 06:06:36 PM »

It is endlessly funny to me that a half-senile 77-year-old who:

-Has a terrible recruitment record,
-Has a terrible midterm record,
-Has lost as many elections as he has won,
-Is incredibly unpopular with his own party's institutions despite being one of the most popular among his party's base
-Ran literally the most inept, disorganized administrations in modern American history,
-Achieved practically none of his party's goals during a time when they had a friggin' TRIFECTA,

is somehow just going to win and cancel democracy. The GOP does not sh!t these kind of bricks over Biden, s'all i'm saying.

Biden doesn't say stuff like this so they don't need to.

If the only argument anyone can come up with to defend this is "it doesn't matter that Trump wants to be a dictator because he's too stupid to be one" that kind of says it all. I do actually agree with that but how is that supposed to make me want to vote for him?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2024, 06:09:45 PM »

>America will elect a man who's been indicted over 90 times, has promised to be a dictator, has an authoritarian agenda and group of people willing to enable just that, and tried to violently undo the last election, because his opponent is old

Sometimes you can't hate the game. Hate the players.

Trump is also old which makes the whole thing even dumber.

He could serve a third term, but not be elected a third time.

There is a theory he (or Obama, Clinton, GW Bush) could be elected VP and have a sock puppet at the top of the ticket who immediately resigns.

It explicitly says you can't be VP if you're not eligible to be president. You couldn't do something like that with a foreign national either for instance.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2024, 06:29:45 PM »

Would be absolutely hilarious though if Trump tries the shadow VP candidate thing, wins, the elected president resigns, then he gets ruled ineligible and a Dem Speaker of the House becomes president.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2024, 06:45:39 PM »

Would be absolutely hilarious though if Trump tries the shadow VP candidate thing, wins, the elected president resigns, then he gets ruled ineligible and a Dem Speaker of the House becomes president.

In that scenario the SCOTUS would have to do it and by then 4 yrs would have gone by because the appeals process is a lengthy one

No question about it Trump indictments hasn't done anything to him like we thought it just made him more popular
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2024, 07:27:25 PM »

I honestly doubt he’ll be alive in 2029.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2024, 09:20:03 PM »

There is a theory he (or Obama, Clinton, GW Bush) could be elected VP and have a sock puppet at the top of the ticket who immediately resigns.

You can only serve a max of 10 years though.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2024, 12:08:42 AM »

Hope to God this anti-American criminal doesn't get elected to office again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2024, 12:33:49 AM »

I accepted that Trump might get back in but we know whom the fall gal is Harris whom just opened offices in FL and R state due to abortion
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2024, 01:01:59 AM »

You know, FDR 16 years — almost 16 years — he was four terms. I don’t know, are we going to be considered three-term? Or two-term?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/18/trump-at-nra-convention-floats-a-three-term-presidency-00158786

Cant wait to be gaslit for the next four years about how he’s “only joking” and “just being Trump,” only for him to stay in power past January 20, 2028 due to election “irregularities” and defending a third term on the basis of an obscure interpretation of the 22nd amendment.
Idk the wording here makes it sound like he's considering 2020-2024 as his second term
Obama24
United States
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2024, 01:08:29 AM »

-Is incredibly unpopular with his own party's institutions despite being one of the most popular among his party's base
-Ran literally the most inept, disorganized administrations in modern American history,
-Achieved practically none of his party's goals during a time when they had a friggin' TRIFECTA,

is somehow just going to win and cancel democracy. The GOP does not sh!t these kind of bricks over Biden, s'all i'm saying.

Because Biden has never attempted to overthrow democracy and Trump has.

If you don't understand why people are fearful of Trump's return, then you've been asleep since 2015.

I dislike Trump but some of the language here makes me think people view reality as a Star Wars movie. It's a bit funny. "Fearful of Trump's return" like he's Palpatine or a cartoon villain. It's hard to take such hyperbolic language serious after 8 years. I was assured back in 2016 that there would be death camps by the end of his first term.

You know what's gonna happen if he wins? The rich will get tax cuts. The poor will continue to get and be poor because no one in Washington truly cares about them. The middle class will continue to shrink as it has done since 1970. The economy will boom for a short time and then hit a horrible bust, possibly leading to a depression because that's what happens under Republican presidents. Climate change action will be stalled or reversed, but that doesn't matter because we're screwed anyway. Life will go on.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2024, 01:13:35 AM »

For what it's worth, Clinton at least has said he thinks this scenario is Unconstitutional.

It would be. It's a clear violation of the wording of the 22nd. In such a scenario, the new President would either have to immediately resign themselves, or the Speaker of the House would simply become President and the current VP (lets say Clinton in this case) would remain VP.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2024, 04:37:02 AM »

He'll double down on that idea and repeatedly "joke" that he's, actually, running for his third term
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2024, 07:48:42 AM »

For what it's worth, Clinton at least has said he thinks this scenario is Unconstitutional.

It would be. It's a clear violation of the wording of the 22nd. In such a scenario, the new President would either have to immediately resign themselves, or the Speaker of the House would simply become President and the current VP (lets say Clinton in this case) would remain VP.

I think it is but SCOTUS hasn't adjudicated it and the line about eligibility originally didn't have a term requirement so there's potentially wiggle room there. Clinton's view is you should view the Constitution as a whole document and not piecemeal so the 22nd Amendment now implicitly imposes a new requirement on eligibility for the Vice Presidency.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2024, 10:15:40 AM »

Which party goals?
He put a pro-birth Supreme Ciurt
He passed tax cuts.
Isn't that what the party wanted?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2024, 11:22:20 AM »

Everyone notices how Harris and ALLRED disappear when Biden is losing, but when Biden is winning they are seen everywhere

Where are Harris and ALLRED now they are losing
Duke of York

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2024, 11:24:59 AM »

If Trump wins Republicans will likely nominate him for a third term and ignore the 22nd amendment.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2024, 12:32:02 PM »

If Trump wins Republicans will likely nominate him for a third term and ignore the 22nd amendment.

No.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2024, 12:34:23 PM »

If he were to win in 2024 and term limits only applied to consecutive terms, any of the potential Democratic candidates like Whitmer, Moore, Warnock or Beshear would clobber him in the landslide we thought 2020 would be.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2024, 01:20:23 PM »

NOT that I agree with it, but I'm excited to read the hypothetical constitutional arguments that'll get leaked out of GOP think tanks in favor of extending Trump's 2nd term due to all the impeachment investigations. That'll be fun to dissect.
Duke of York

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2024, 01:26:18 PM »

No.

What makes you think they won't?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2024, 02:40:01 PM »

If he were to win in 2024 and term limits only applied to consecutive terms, any of the potential Democratic candidates like Whitmer, Moore, Warnock or Beshear would clobber him in the landslide we thought 2020 would be.

If Ds lose this Eday they deserve a 3 term Trump but 20 wasn't a landslide because Biden scandal came out on sex abuse and Hunter

Whitmer isn't going to be the Nominee or Harris stop playing it's gonna be Newsom
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2024, 03:02:51 PM »

If Trump wins and does a good job in his second term then I will gladly support him if he wants a third term. There might be a way around the 22nd Amendment by nominating a puppet Republican nominee and putting Trump in as VP and market the ticket as Trump's 3rd term. Then if they win, the President resigns, and Trump takes power. This would likely have to go to court because the 22nd Amendment talks about being "elected" specifically but not necessarily the office itself.  
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2024, 03:51:07 PM »

If Trump wins and does a good job in his second term then I will gladly support him if he wants a third term. There might be a way around the 22nd Amendment by nominating a puppet Republican nominee and putting Trump in as VP and market the ticket as Trump's 3rd term. Then if they win, the President resigns, and Trump takes power. This would likely have to go to court because the 22nd Amendment talks about being "elected" specifically but not necessarily the office itself.  
Well, at least you're admitting that you don't support the Constitution. Thanks for your honesty!
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2024, 04:14:04 PM »

Well, at least you're admitting that you don't support the Constitution. Thanks for your honesty!
If the loophole is allowed, I don't see how it's not supporting the constitution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies