Questions about travelling to Europe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:12:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Questions about travelling to Europe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Questions about travelling to Europe  (Read 2979 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2007, 02:22:57 AM »

OK - I can't get an ATM and/or debit card b/c my credit union is switching their software companies (ironically - they're dumping my dad's company that they've used for 20 years now).

So I have to use travelers checks mainly - I'm going to get some cash, but when I'm in Paris, Florence, and Rome, should I get whatever France's and Italy's money was in or Euros - I heard that they still use both - but which one's a better deal for me (or should I get Euro's for one and not the other?)

It's 3 A.M. - I've been working on fixing my computer, so if this sounds confusing - ask me to rephrase it tomorrow Tongue  Thanks!

I'll be leaving on July 9th-19th if that helps answering the question!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »

You can still get the franc and lira, but only as historical relics. They're worthless for actual money nowadays, and only use the euro. And also, good luck avoiding strikes in France. When I was there six years ago we had to put up with Paris museum workers, fuel tank drivers, and railway workers all striking in a few weeks. And are you familiar with the languages? Better not to be seen as "yet another of those American tourists", since they will skim you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:48:21 AM »

ATMs are the way to go - try just opening a new account at any bank before you go.

Its a huge hassle changing travelers checks or dollars.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:58:24 AM »

You can still get the franc and lira, but only as historical relics. They're worthless for actual money nowadays, and only use the euro. And also, good luck avoiding strikes in France. When I was there six years ago we had to put up with Paris museum workers, fuel tank drivers, and railway workers all striking in a few weeks. And are you familiar with the languages? Better not to be seen as "yet another of those American tourists", since they will skim you.

Skimming tourists is a form of art here in Florida. Cheesy
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

Skimming tourists is a form of art here in Florida. Cheesy

Especially in Miami. I hate those people.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »

One of my Mexican friends says that down there in the tourist places the stores would skim you big time. Because the Peso sign is also $, a stupid gringo will pay 50 US dollars for something a Mexican pays 50 pesos, and not notice anything.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:08:11 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2007, 10:14:04 PM by Snowguy716 »

Here's a good way to avoid rude service in Europe as an American tourist:

Try your hardest to speak with a Michigan accent.  Any southern drawl will get eyes rolling and noses snooting upwards instantly.  And don't pretend to be Canadian, because Canadians are just American-lite.  They might mention something about cars, because you're from Michigan.  It's well known that German cars are better than American cars, but American cars are much much better than French cars and the vast majority of Italian cars.

Don't wear khaki shorts and over sized shirts with a fanny pack around your waste and a camera around your neck.

Darker denim with a polo shirt and athletic shoes will do you a lot of good to blend in with younger Europeans.  Don't try to mimic Italian style.  You'll look just as ridiculous as they do.

If you don't speak the native language, don't assume that they'll understand you if you make exaggerated hand motions and speak loudly and slowly.  In fact, it's annoying.  Just speak in a normal tone and be friendly.

Oh... beware of pick pockets.  Maybe get one of those "fanny pack" things that you can wear around your stomach under your shirt and keep your documents and most of your money in there.  France and Italy have rampant pick pockets.  It wasn't so bad in Germany/Austria.  Germans are much more civil.  Alles ist in Ordnung! 

And one last thing:  No matter how typical and belligerent and "American" you are, you're still not nearly as annoying as the Japanese tourists.

Edit:  One more thing:

I got skimmed once in Italy for an ice cream cone.  The guy tried to charge me EUR 4,50 for 2 scoops of gelato on a cone.  I handed him the ice cream cone back and told him I didn't want it.  He got really mad, but screw him!  If he hadn't taken the damn thing back I would have smushed the damn thing face down on the floor and walked out of the store.  Make sure you either ask ahead of time how much something is or make sure there are prices posted.  This never happened to me in Austria or Germany.  You should go there too.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 12:02:22 AM »

Euros, France atleast doesn't give two sh**ts about francs anymore (I wonder if they still have prices in both)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 12:21:51 AM »

FYI, the € is used as sole currency in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain and Vatican City.

Then - follow Snowguys advices (but never buy 2-coned-ice-cream for 4€, 2 coned ice cream is always around 1-2€ the most ...)

And: Under no circumstances whatsoever say that you like Bush when travelling in France. You may get lynched or burned alive then.

In Austria, American tourists are one of the most liked together with the British, as they always like to tip a lot. Some will also ask you if you like Tim Taylor, the Tool man, because he´s from MI too Tongue
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 12:26:51 AM »

FYI, the € is used as sole currency in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain and Vatican City.

Then - follow Snowguys advices (but never buy 2-coned-ice-cream for 4€, 2 coned ice cream is always around 1-2€ the most ...)

And: Under no circumstances whatsoever say that you like Bush when travelling in France. You may get lynched or burned alive then.

In Austria, American tourists are one of the most liked together with the British, as they always like to tip a lot. Some will also ask you if you like Tim Taylor, the Tool man, because he´s from MI too Tongue
I love Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor! Ho Ho Ho HO HOooo
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:32 AM »

You know who else is from Michigan?

Conan
conan

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 03:14:22 AM »

You know who else is from Michigan?

Roseanne is awesome too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 07:51:25 AM »

Yeah, ok. But Roseanne is not so common here. Tim Taylor and Home Improvement is/was one of the best and most popular series of the 90s (if not the best) and is rebroadcasted on TV all the time. For example there´s a TV channel here which shows 3 consecutive episodes of it every day.

Certainly there are lots of famous people from Michigan, but I doubt most Austrians know that they are from there. They`ll maybe know that Michael Moore or Eminem (younger people) is from Michigan, but if you ask where Madonna or William Boeing was from, they will all say "The US".
Jens
Angola

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »

Try your hardest to speak with a Michigan accent.  Any southern drawl will get eyes rolling and noses snooting upwards instantly.  And don't pretend to be Canadian, because Canadians are just American-lite.  They might mention something about cars, because you're from Michigan.  It's well known that German cars are better than American cars, but American cars are much much better than French cars and the vast majority of Italian cars.

Don't wear khaki shorts and over sized shirts with a fanny pack around your waste and a camera around your neck.

Darker denim with a polo shirt and athletic shoes will do you a lot of good to blend in with younger Europeans.  Don't try to mimic Italian style.  You'll look just as ridiculous as they do.

If you don't speak the native language, don't assume that they'll understand you if you make exaggerated hand motions and speak loudly and slowly.  In fact, it's annoying.  Just speak in a normal tone and be friendly.

Oh... beware of pick pockets.  Maybe get one of those "fanny pack" things that you can wear around your stomach under your shirt and keep your documents and most of your money in there.  France and Italy have rampant pick pockets.  It wasn't so bad in Germany/Austria.  Germans are much more civil.  Alles ist in Ordnung! 

And one last thing:  No matter how typical and belligerent and "American" you are, you're still not nearly as annoying as the Japanese tourists.

I got skimmed once in Italy for an ice cream cone.  The guy tried to charge me EUR 4,50 for 2 scoops of gelato on a cone.  I handed him the ice cream cone back and told him I didn't want it.  He got really mad, but screw him!  If he hadn't taken the damn thing back I would have smushed the damn thing face down on the floor and walked out of the store.  Make sure you either ask ahead of time how much something is or make sure there are prices posted.  This never happened to me in Austria or Germany.  You should go there too.
be sure to pay about that amount for an icecream cone i Denmark. Wink - and don't tip unless you got really good service. The tip is included in the price by law.

Otherwise just remember that Danes are pretty reserved at first, and that we really don't get that "small talk"-thing. If you ask: How are you? A Danes might answer: not that good Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »

be sure to pay about that amount for an icecream cone i Denmark. Wink - and don't tip unless you got really good service. The tip is included in the price by law.

Otherwise just remember that Danes are pretty reserved at first, and that we really don't get that "small talk"-thing. If you ask: How are you? A Danes might answer: not that good Wink

Yepp. Denmark has a higher price niveau than Austria. For every 100€ in goods in Austria you get about 65€ in Denmark. Tongue

With the US it´s different, it has a lower price niveau than Austria. For every 100€ in Austria you can buy stuff for 117€ in the US.

Means for you American: If you go to Denmark, most of the stuff you buy there is double that what you pay in the US or so.

If you go to Austria, a 2 scooped ice-cone costs about 2€ without tip. If it´s like 2.20€ you always round up the tip and give 2.50€ or if its 2.70, then 3€- Tip is not included in the sales price, but you generally round up to the next full price. Wink
Jens
Angola

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:05 AM »

Yepp. Denmark has a higher price niveau than Austria. For every 100€ in goods in Austria you get about 65€ in Denmark. Tongue

With the US it´s different, it has a lower price niveau than Austria. For every 100€ in Austria you can buy stuff for 117€ in the US.

Means for you American: If you go to Denmark, most of the stuff you buy there is double that what you pay in the US or so.

If you go to Austria, a 2 scooped ice-cone costs about 2€ without tip. If it´s like 2.20€ you always round up the tip and give 2.50€ or if its 2.70, then 3€- Tip is not included in the sales price, but you generally round up to the next full price. Wink
That's why it is a joy to go on wacation abroad - everything is cheaper Smiley (minus the rest of Scandinavian, especially Norway and Iceland)

But price isn't everything. Copenhagen is a beautifull city and the countryside fx on the islands, like Funen or Falster is lovely and perfect for bike vacations
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »

Yeah, ok. But Roseanne is not so common here. Tim Taylor and Home Improvement is/was one of the best and most popular series of the 90s (if not the best) and is rebroadcasted on TV all the time. For example there´s a TV channel here which shows 3 consecutive episodes of it every day.

Certainly there are lots of famous people from Michigan, but I doubt most Austrians know that they are from there. They`ll maybe know that Michael Moore or Eminem (younger people) is from Michigan, but if you ask where Madonna or William Boeing was from, they will all say "The US".
Who's William Boeing?? Relation to the airplane company? I know Madonna is from the Michigan too. I know Roseanne might not be on in Austria a lot if at all, but she's on here about 4 times a day in reruns.

Edit: I was correct in my assumption. William Boeing is the airplane guy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »

Get an ATM, and try to tip only half as much as you intend to.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »

TIP?? Never ever tip overseas!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

We're talking about Europe, Ope, not Asia.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 01:07:41 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2007, 01:13:38 PM by Tender Branson »

Yehaaa !!! Mr. Pink is alive !!!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »

Be polite and eat what the locals do.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 02:39:23 PM »

Next to the countrysides in Europe that would be the best thing to do!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 09:57:27 PM »

Personally I think the best way to get on good relations is try your hardest to speak their respective languages, from my experiences they are much more inviting to those who struggle but at least try to speak their language (often they'll just respond in English, but if you start immidiatly in English some may not take so kindly). Also just try to absorb some of their customs and DON'T be an "ugly" american (basically be respectful and dont over react to things if they dont go your way).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »

ATMs are the way to go - try just opening a new account at any bank before you go.

Its a huge hassle changing travelers checks or dollars.

I can't - b/c my credit union changed software and I wont get hte card in time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies