BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:25:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt  (Read 3065 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2024, 11:32:12 AM »

What the hell.

Yeah Russia definitely didn't do this because they had no reason too.

If this is not someone lone wolf or domestic opposition unrelated to global politics which of course definitely is a possibility, than the only ones with the motivation to do this are

- USA intelligence services
- NATO
- Ukraine
- Russian opposition

I don't think Israel, Palestine or Islam terrorist groups had a particular motive here.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2024, 11:34:54 AM »

What the hell.

If this is not someone lone wolf or domestic opposition unrelated to global politics which of course definitely is a possibility, than the only ones with the motivation to do this are

- NATO
- Ukraine
- Russian opposition

I don't think Israel, Palestine or Islam terrorist groups had a particular motive here.

This is a massive provocation towards Russian interests in free Europe and will likely spur aggressive actions by Putin, which means Russia is absolutely suspect #1.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2024, 11:36:15 AM »

Local news footage of the assassination attempt:

The force of the bullet appears to cause him to fall back and over some kind of benching. Also striking how muted the reaction from the crowd is. I guess cultural differences or something but in the United States people tend to run around like headless chickens when something like this happens.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2024, 11:36:34 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2024, 11:39:46 AM by ꙮ »

What the hell.

- NATO
- Ukraine
- Russian opposition

This was clearly the work of CIA and NATO. As we all know, the American death squads that we use to keep Eastern Europe in line are composed of septuagenarian retired poets with handguns. It lines up perfectly.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2024, 11:39:28 AM »

What the hell.

- NATO
- Ukraine
- Russian opposition

This is a massive provocation towards Russian interests in free Europe and will likely spur aggressive actions by Putin, which means Russia is absolutely suspect #1.

In 8 years of browsing this forum, this must be the most ridicilous post ever made on the forum.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2024, 11:41:07 AM »

What the hell.

- NATO
- Ukraine
- Russian opposition

This was clearly the work of CIA and NATO. As we all know, the American death squads that we use to keep Eastern Europe in line are composed of septuagenarian retired poets with handguns. It lines up perfectly.

I'm just saying it'd be a good thing for the USA if he was dead, which is why we have to look into that direction, though i think NATO is even more suspicious, given their history of similar assassinations during the Cold War, and given this is basically Cold War 2.0.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2024, 11:44:16 AM »

Or a lone crazy gunman shot him and the works isn’t a big conspiracy. JFC guys get it together
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2024, 11:54:11 AM »

Morbid question - Has the incumbent leader of an EU nation ever been assassinated or had a serious attempt on their life?  Palme was shot before Sweden joined the EU and obviously there's the conspiracies Lech Kaczyński's plane crash but can't think of any at moment.

Well there's Aldo Moro, he probably comes closest though he wasn't incumbent. There was also Sergio Mattarella's brother Piersanti Mattarella, who was incumbent leader of Sicily when he was assassinated, and the mayor of Gdansk Paweł Adamowicz. But they weren't national leaders.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2024, 11:58:23 AM »

Laki and Red Velvet, time to start popping champagne. Your favorite European government now has a carte blanche to do anything they want.

A time of political war is coming, declares Andrej Danko. Coalition politicians blame the media and the opposition for the assassination.

At the afternoon coalition press conference in the parliament, the strongest speeches were made by SNS leader Andrej Danko and Smer deputy leader Ľuboš Blaha, both deputy speakers of the National Council. Both directly blamed journalists for the assassination. "Robert Fico is fighting for his life today because of your hatred," Blaha declared. "For years you have nurtured a frightening hatred. I am convinced that the guilt that progressives carry, that the liberal media carry, will never wash away. It will never be washed away by Matovič. It will never be washed away by Šimečka. It will never be washed away by any of them. (...) Which politician will go to any more rallies? You have made us targets."

Danko directly addressed the editor of TV Markíza, whom he called on to hand in his press card. "This is the result of hatred in society. Greed, when you helped Matovič, a psychopath, with Pročko to rule this state. We miraculously came back and you going are after us again." Tensions between coalition and opposition politicians arose immediately after the first information about the attack. The MPs were initially on the phone exchanging the latest information with each other, then Smer MP Richard Glück came into the Chamber and started shouting at the opposition MPs, asking them if they were happy. The assassination, he said, was the result of the hatred that the opposition was spreading against the government.

Even SNS leader Andrej Danko could not contain his emotions in the Chamber. He blamed "hostile media" such as Denník N, Sme and Aktuality for the attack on the prime minister. He called the journalists from Denník N "filthy pigs". Representatives of the parliamentary parties then met in an extraordinary plenary session. Michal Šimečka, leader of Progressive Slovakia and deputy speaker of the parliament, proposed a joint declaration of all parties in the parliament. The coalition rejected this. "Send it to Denník N, send it there, to those people who caused this," commented SNS leader Andrej Danko on the proposal of the chairman of Progressive Slovakia.

The SNS leader announced legislative changes directed against the media. "For the SNS, at this stage, a political war is beginning. I believe that with Robert Fico we will manage it. But there will be changes. Changes to the media," he said. "I also believe that with the new president, Peter Pellegrini, and with Robert Fico, we will make legal changes as we did in RTVS. Now I guarantee you that we will not be okay with what happened." He told opposition politicians to "shut up and respect the election results". Deputy Prime Minister Tomas Taraba (SNS nominee) also accused the opposition of responsibility for the attack, writing on Facebook that "the whole hateful opposition has blood on their hands".
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2024, 12:16:45 PM »

It's hard to put into words - that are still acceptable for a mod - the contempt I have for the tankie/vatnik brigade almost giddly fantasizing here about what comes next.

So all I'll say is that I hope he recovers, I hope the culprit is apprehended, and I sure as hell hope it doesn't serve as an excuse for democratic backsliding or for Russia to behave even more outrageously.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2024, 12:17:37 PM »

Morbid question - Has the incumbent leader of an EU nation ever been assassinated or had a serious attempt on their life?  Palme was shot before Sweden joined the EU and obviously there's the conspiracies Lech Kaczyński's plane crash but can't think of any at moment.

Well there's Aldo Moro, he probably comes closest though he wasn't incumbent. There was also Sergio Mattarella's brother Piersanti Mattarella, who was incumbent leader of Sicily when he was assassinated, and the mayor of Gdansk Paweł Adamowicz. But they weren't national leaders.

Julien Lahaut, Communist leader of Belgium, was also assassinated, and comes to mind as well.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2024, 12:18:16 PM »

So all I'll say is that I hope he recovers, I hope the culprit is apprehended, and I sure as hell hope it doesn't serve as an excuse for democratic backsliding or for Russia to behave even more outrageously.

That's the right response and the only right response one can have.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2024, 12:24:04 PM »

Although I disagree with many of his political positions, this is clearly not the proper way to express such disagreements.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2024, 12:25:28 PM »

Laki and Red Velvet, time to start popping champagne. Your favorite European government now has a carte blanche to do anything they want.

Stop spreading fake news about my beliefs. Never have i said that i would vote/support SNS/HLAS, support everything they do, let alone they would be my favourite government...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2024, 12:36:04 PM »

A vid of the assassin being questioned was leaked out and he did it over domestic reasons so Woody and Red Velvet can suck it
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1240289270690746388/1240348205238194218/VID_20240515_200002_415.mp4?ex=66463bc8&is=6644ea48&hm=86d887415cdb02c32f6da6bc5f06778cc6c7fa6cc1a4481efde8cce38e54c047&
Estrella

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2024, 12:38:29 PM »

Quelle surprise.

“Hundreds of thousands of migrants are coming to Europe, which we’re a part of. Slovenskí branci are not preparing for a fight, but for defence. [...] Juraj Cintula, poet, writer, publicist”

Estrella

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2024, 12:44:33 PM »

A vid of the assassin being questioned was leaked out and he did it over domestic reasons so Woody and Red Velvet can suck it

Cintula: I don't agree with the government's policies.
Officer: And for that reason a month ago you decided what?
Cintula: But mass media are being liquidated, why RTVS is being attacked, why are people, why [chairman of the committee that appoints judges Ján] Mazák is fired from his position.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2024, 12:57:53 PM »

Stop spreading fake news until a legitimate source reports this

Wishy washy thinking is not a legitimate source, sure there'll always be people who think Russia did it, and you'd instantly fall for it...
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »

Dude is reported to have been a member of Progressive Slovakia

Since when would a poet who once founded a political party based on no violence ethic and today part of Progressive Slovakia be a former Russian paramilitary 8 years ago?

Oh that's right... this is what Estrella doesn't share or doesn't want you to know because they support this party.

Quelle surprise.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2024, 01:00:44 PM »

I wish him a fast and full recovery. Violence should never be accepted in the political debate, period.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2024, 01:01:43 PM »

Yeah Moro was the other one that came to mind but as you say, not an incumbent. In terms of close calls, obvious one I'd forgotten - Thatcher by the IRA at Brighton in 1984
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2024, 01:03:36 PM »

Oh no this is terrible!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2024, 01:05:38 PM »

Since when would a poet who once founded a political party based on no violence ethic and today part of Progressive Slovakia be a former Russian paramilitary 8 years ago?

Oh that's right... this is what Estrella doesn't share or doesn't want you to know because they support this party.

Quelle surprise.
There is no confirmation he’s apart of this party either so don’t be so freaking snarky, right now all that’s known is his name, age, the vid above saying he did it over domestic reasons and his anti-migrant writings
Estrella

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2024, 01:08:00 PM »

Do tell us where you found this.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2024, 01:08:30 PM »

Quelle surprise.
There is no confirmation he’s apart of this part either so don’t be so freaking snarky, right now all that’s known is his name, age, the vid above saying he did it over domestic reasons and his anti-migrant writings

There is no logical sense in assuming Russia did this, other than bad faith assumptions. It would be pure idiocy by Russians to try to assassinate him. Literally 30 other European leaders a Russian could kill before him... How stupid would one be to try to kill one of your only soft allies in Europe you still have left...

Not believing conspiracy theories or twitter sources µ especially on conflicts like this would be a good start.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies