Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 05:28:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 57
Author Topic: Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)  (Read 20451 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: June 27, 2024, 09:08:02 PM »

Is Trump confusing Biden and Hillary with the "superpredators" thing?

Yupp. First real slip up from Trump.

He’ll say he and Hillary were on the same page with supporting the 1994 Crime Bill or something. Non-issue, nobody will notice.

Overall Trump is the most normal and presidential-seeming I’ve ever seen him, even as he of course lies and exaggerates everything. Biden seems like he just rolled out of bed in a nursing home days before his death.

This is the worst case scenario.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #851 on: June 27, 2024, 09:08:30 PM »

Biden had a solid response to the social security question
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #852 on: June 27, 2024, 09:08:38 PM »

Wow. Based on how people in this thread are reacting, maybe my hoped-for scenario that Biden s—ts the bed so bad he actually is replaced at the convention might actually happen.
The two people on our ticket are perceived as a doddering old dementia patient and a talentless diversity hire. Dem leadership needs to be purged for coalescing around Biden and making him pick Harris

There is always room for racism on Atlas.

It’s not racist.  You may not want to admit it, but that’s basically what she is and everyone knows it.  Not saying she’s completely incompetent, but she was very much a glorified diversity hire.

She has far more elective experience than Trump. Trump is only where he is at because of White, family privilege.

DA, Attorney General, Senator. That is experience.

No one cares about collecting titles. She is the definition of failing upward. The voters of California evidently disagreed that she was a good DA given that 54% of the state didn’t vote for her, and she ran 10+ points behind the rest of the ticket.
KYRockefeller

« Reply #853 on: June 27, 2024, 09:08:57 PM »

Lol Trump crapped that question. Climate what? What's that sh**t.

Trump clearly came in wanting to get across a few points about the border and inflation.  The rest he doesn't care much about so he's just reverting to his strategy of speaking generally because he knows most Americans don't care about policy debates.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #854 on: June 27, 2024, 09:09:13 PM »

They’re basically the same age.

But they don’t talk, look, or act the same age.

The age thing is Biden's biggest handicap. Not his actual age, but the perception of it.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #855 on: June 27, 2024, 09:09:18 PM »

Any of you understand the social security answer lmao
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #856 on: June 27, 2024, 09:09:18 PM »

Do you think we care about what Frank Dunce says, or what his MAGA Cultists focus group is doing?
super6646
Canada

« Reply #857 on: June 27, 2024, 09:09:28 PM »

Trump: "I've never seen a man lie this much in my life. The man is stealing my schtick!"
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #858 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:01 PM »

I’m not even treating this seriously and viewing this like a boxing match lol . Even got my white claw while watching this
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #859 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:13 PM »

He’ll say he and Hillary were on the same page with supporting the 1994 Crime Bill or something. Non-issue, nobody will notice.

Overall Trump is the most normal and presidential-seeming I’ve ever seen him, even as he of course lies and exaggerates everything. Biden seems like he just rolled out of bed in a nursing home days before his death.

Worst case scenario is Biden doing meh because there’s no movement to replace him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #860 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:20 PM »

I'm glad Biden called out Trump, again, on lying, again, about the suckers and losers comment. Trump called the dead soldiers suckers and losers.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #861 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:28 PM »

I've been thinking about this for a while now but a Biden health scare might be the best electoral outcome at this point. That way he can step aside with dignity. There is no way he says "I'm dropping out because I look and sound really old and did terrible at the debate." Even Kamala would probably do better at this point.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:32 PM »

Do you think we care about what Frank Dunce says, or what his MAGA Cultists focus group is doing?

Biden is getting crushed by any objective measure
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:34 PM »

Remember the Fetterman-Oz debate and how Fetterman did horribly and he has no chance?
No one watches senate debates. Only the most politically engaged voters watch that (i.e. least likely to swap votes). POTUS debates have massive viewership.

Yeah, even as the most true-blooded politics geek, I find it difficult to actually sit and watch Senate debates on C-SPAN in their entirety.

Otoh, anecdotally speaking, most of my friends (high schoolers who normally aren't too politically engaged) are tuning into this. So yes, (just to state the obvious), these debates have far more coverage and a far bigger audience.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #864 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:41 PM »

LOL the way Biden said that general got fired reminded me of Beavis.

I'm thinking of Beavis and Butthead watching this debate now!

Beavis: Heheheheh he said that general got FIRED! FIRED FIRED!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #865 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:47 PM »

You are nothing but a Trump supporter. The excuse for his slip up is pure MAGA bs.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #866 on: June 27, 2024, 09:11:45 PM »

Trump was doing quite well at first but I think Biden's actually doing better now.

I liked his attacks on Trump's morals and his point about 40/44 Cabinet officials not endorsing Trump.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #867 on: June 27, 2024, 09:11:50 PM »

Trump: "I've never seen a man lie this much in my life. The man is stealing my schtick!"

GLOAT?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #868 on: June 27, 2024, 09:11:58 PM »

I actually think this will help vindicate Hillary. Sure she lost to Trump, but she put up a good fight after he steamrolled over a bunch of Republican wunderkinds and hyped up big money candidates, and now Trump is going to also steamroll the one man who ever barely beat him. Hillary’s performance won’t seem so bad in hindsight. Trump will be Grover Cleveland, Hillary James G. Blaine, and Biden Benjamin Harrison.

Imagine actually believing anything could vindicate the massive dumpster fire of an incompetent sh!tshow that was Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign Roll Eyes  At least Biden has actually beat Trump before.

Trump was super unpopular in one of the country’s most chaotic years since 1968 in 2020. It shouldn’t have even been close, yet it was. Winning three terms for a party in a row, as Hillary tried in 2016, is tough. And at the time Trump’s “What do you gotta lose?” line was appealing to people.

As insane as it seems to most of us, Trump clearly has off the charts charisma to many many people. You seem to either find him the most compelling or most repulsive man in the world. Obviously I’m in the latter group but something about him puts many in the former group. It makes him tough to beat. He’s a larger than life personality like most of our most famous and notable presidents. Biden is just another Benjamin Harrison, forgettable and uncharismatic. Even Hillary was compelling to more. I think you gotta be at least a little divisive to ignite the strong feelings needed to really stand out.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #869 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:00 PM »

Trump is hitting Biden because he hasn't fired anybody (not true). Wtf? lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #870 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:10 PM »

"Not easy to fire people" says the guy who used to be best known for "You're fired".
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #871 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:25 PM »

If you think the opinions of MAGA Cultists is an "objective measure," you need to have your head checked?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #872 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:33 PM »

Biden had a solid response to the social security question
He did.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #873 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:38 PM »

DrScholl accusing Alben of all people to be MAGA.

That's when you know it's bad.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2024, 09:12:43 PM »

You are nothing but a Trump supporter. The excuse for his slip up is pure MAGA bs.

Alben is no Trump supporter, he just knows what is best for the future of the Democratic Party.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies