Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 02:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 54
Author Topic: Presidential debate megathread (debate 1: June 27, 9pm EDT, CNN)  (Read 17424 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2024, 08:41:10 AM »

I'm still shocked Trump agreed to debate. If he's truly polling consistently ahead, the worst thing he can do is give Biden an opportunity to change the race. If anything can shake up the election, it's the debate. If it doesn't, Biden needs to drop out and be replaced by Whitmer or Shapiro.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2024, 11:46:05 AM »

Would not be surprised if Trump tries to announce the VP pick at the debate as a distraction.

He seems to be dropping hints like that. I think with no in person audience this could fall flat that. How many people watching will have even heard of Vance or Burgum? It will probably lead to a lot of googling while he's trying to talk.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2024, 12:21:16 PM »

I'm still shocked Trump agreed to debate. If he's truly polling consistently ahead, the worst thing he can do is give Biden an opportunity to change the race. If anything can shake up the election, it's the debate. If it doesn't, Biden needs to drop out and be replaced by Whitmer or Shapiro.

Maybe Trump is not consistently polling ahead and he is falsely projecting strength
Obama24
United States
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2024, 12:27:11 PM »

Maybe Trump is not consistently polling ahead and he is falsely projecting strength

Trump and the Russians have been rigging the all the polls for months? All pollsters and polling agencies who show Biden behind are paid Russian assets?! Why isn't Biden doing something about this?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2024, 12:39:46 PM »

I keep seeing them refer to it as "the CNN debate" on Fox. Is that because they have to or because they're already prepping for the "2 against 1" narrative?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2024, 12:48:13 PM »

I keep seeing them refer to it as "the CNN debate" on Fox. Is that because they have to or because they're already prepping for the "2 against 1" narrative?

Of course. Since the media overall has put the bar for Biden so low, he already wins by not screwing up. They're preparing for this already.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2024, 12:58:22 PM »

I mean the right wing media certainly probably wants to do that, but I also think I read that CNN's stipulations for simulcasting were that anyone who wants to do does need to present it as "CNN debate on ___"
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #357 on: June 23, 2024, 03:38:33 PM »

Would not be surprised if Trump tries to announce the VP pick at the debate as a distraction.

I hadn't thought of this before, but now that you've put the idea out there, I think that's exactly what he'll do.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #358 on: June 23, 2024, 06:20:17 PM »

Actually, Fox is already framing the debate as 3 against 1.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #359 on: June 23, 2024, 07:24:15 PM »

I hadn't thought of this before, but now that you've put the idea out there, I think that's exactly what he'll do.

My thinking is if he does do it, it'll be during his opening statement. "By the way, I'd like to let you all know that I've chosen a running mate and it's the ___ so and so __ from, they're gonna be absolutely great as Vice President and help me defeat Crooked Joe and Cacklin' Kamala...."
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2024, 09:25:50 PM »

There aren't opening statements in this debate actually. But I guess he could say it in his first answer.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #361 on: June 24, 2024, 08:49:14 AM »

My thinking is if he does do it, it'll be during his opening statement. "By the way, I'd like to let you all know that I've chosen a running mate and it's the ___ so and so __ from, they're gonna be absolutely great as Vice President and help me defeat Crooked Joe and Cacklin' Kamala...."

He could, but only if he has a major point to make (e.g. bringing moderates into the tent by having a centrist, having a person of color or a Latino, announcing first future Republican female VP, etc.).  Otherwise (if it is Vance or someone similar), it will be a moment wasted.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2024, 09:54:08 AM »

I strongly recommend that Trump hire Ljube as a debate strategist.

Still bold to assume Trump would take advice from anyone not named Donald J. Trump.
James Monroe

« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2024, 03:20:53 PM »

While former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden trade jabs on Thursday, independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who was not invited, will be debating them in his own way: virtually

In front of a cardboard cutout of his father, RFK Jr.'s son Bobby Kennedy III said the Kennedy campaign would hold its own debate.

"Our plan is to hold our own debate. I'm not gonna say exactly how we're gonna do it, but we'll have the other two candidates up there as well, say what they say live, and we're gonna give my dad a chance to respond live," Kennedy III said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rfk-jr-team-promises-alternate-programming-to-counter-cnn-fake-debate/ar-BB1oOfNU
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2024, 03:26:44 PM »

While former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden trade jabs on Thursday, independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who was not invited, will be debating them in his own way: virtually

In front of a cardboard cutout of his father, RFK Jr.'s son Bobby Kennedy III said the Kennedy campaign would hold its own debate.

"Our plan is to hold our own debate. I'm not gonna say exactly how we're gonna do it, but we'll have the other two candidates up there as well, say what they say live, and we're gonna give my dad a chance to respond live," Kennedy III said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rfk-jr-team-promises-alternate-programming-to-counter-cnn-fake-debate/ar-BB1oOfNU

They should put the RFK Sr. cutout on a turntable, because Bobby will no doubt be rolling over in his grave.
James Monroe

« Reply #365 on: June 24, 2024, 04:02:58 PM »

They should put the RFK Sr. cutout on a turntable, because Bobby will no doubt be rolling over in his grave.

RFK is bringing the Kennedy legacy back by being a crusader for the people. The man has a promising track record and is the only acceptable third party candidate who could win electoral votes. There is no candidate running that will help bring dignity to the White House.That is why I’m backing him this November.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2024, 08:52:59 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2024, 01:29:27 PM »

This whole "Bidens gonna be on drugs" is just so brain dead that I can't even put into words

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2024, 02:27:31 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2024, 06:16:06 PM »

I like Mountain Dew. It doesn't give me any energy. I only have 1 a day as it's pretty high in caffeine as far as sodas go. I don't drink coffee.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2024, 06:20:11 PM »

Looks like expectations are high for President Biden. Let’s see if he can knock it out of the park like Democrats think he will.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2024, 09:17:03 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2024, 12:08:15 AM by Vern »

I expect Biden to do ok and Trump hold his own. So in the end it being a wash.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »

I expect Biden to do ok and Trump hold his on. So in the end it being a wash.

That's the most likely scenario.

I see it like rolling a six sided die where 1 is a Biden catastrophe, 6 is a Trump catastrophe, and 2, 3, 4, or 5 are washes. Do I expect a wash? Absolutely, I'm giving it a two thirds chance. Is it still important? Absolutely. It could hit the 1 or 6.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2024, 02:09:40 AM »

The debate is more about Biden projecting strength and stamina than it is about "winning."

And for Trump it's just so he doesn't look like a pussy for not showing up after he baited the debate so much in the past few months.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #374 on: June 26, 2024, 10:02:00 AM »

Most Americans plan to watch the Biden-Trump debate—even though both candidates are viewed unfavorably by a majority of voters

Most U.S. adults plan to watch some element of Thursday’s presidential debate and many think the event will be important for the campaigns of both President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump, according to a new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

Both men remain broadly unpopular as they prepare to face off for the first time since 2020, although Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, maintains a modest enthusiasm advantage with his base compared to Biden, the Democratic incumbent.

About 6 in 10 U.S. adults say they are “extremely” or “very” likely to watch the debate live or in clips, or read about or listen to commentary about the performance of the candidates in the news or social media.

The poll suggests tens of millions of Americans are likely to see or hear about at least part of Thursday’s debate despite how unusually early it comes in the campaign season. Both Biden and Trump supporters view the debate as a major test for their candidate — or just a spectacle not to miss.

https://fortune.com/2024/06/26/americans-watch-biden-trump-debate-candidates-viewed-unfavorably-ap-norc/
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies