Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:14:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Does it blow your mind that Washington, D.C. has a higher homicide rate than Honduras?  (Read 808 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2024, 10:08:23 PM »

Honduras is often regarded as being one of the most dangerous countries in the world, and for some time topped the world in homicide rates. Does it blow your mind that the capital of the U.S.A is an arguably more dangerous place to live/visit, or at least did in 2023?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 10:30:19 PM »

Haven't we had this thread multiple times? You can't compare a city to a whole country, and you can't really compare DC to other cities either since it's artificially small -- without the boundaries established centuries ago, it would have been able to annex out to "safer" areas and its crime rate would be lower.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 10:36:39 PM »

Haven't we had this thread multiple times? You can't compare a city to a whole country

Actually, when comparing safety in these areas, you can.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 10:47:09 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2024, 10:57:20 PM by ꙮ »

You have made this exact thread multiple times. Literally just spam at this point.

-Not even 3 weeks ago, same city even: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=589114

-Last year, comparing to Hounduras again: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=555319

And more broadly:

-Honduras comparison this week: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=591539.msg9473572#msg9473572

-Honduras-DC comparison this week: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=591555.msg9472646#msg9472646

-Comparing American cities to Honduras last month: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=587266.msg9442418#msg9442418

Anyhow, it does not surprise me that a city has a higher crime rate than a country. Cities are, in fact, more dangerous than rural areas. It's been this way since the dawn of civilization. I don't know how its a surprise to you either at this point, because you've been yammering about it for ages.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 11:32:43 PM »

Anyhow, it does not surprise me that a city has a higher crime rate than a country. Cities are, in fact, more dangerous than rural areas. It's been this way since the dawn of civilization.

This isn’t really as true as you’re making it out to be. Most European and Asian cities have homicide rates far below that of most rural areas within the United States. That would not be true if urbanization was a strong influence on crime rates.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 05:40:24 PM »

It’s a disgrace to the United States, and it’s a choice. Repeal DC home rule.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 04:47:03 AM »

How would giving DC residents less control over their own government help, exactly?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 05:36:55 AM »

No. DC has more guns.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 05:37:52 AM »

Does it blow your mind that the Republican Party has embraced treason?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 05:15:35 PM »

Does it blow your mind that TheReckoning keeps on making the same dumb threads over and over again?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 09:58:42 PM »

Not surprised at all.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 10:30:53 PM »

How would giving DC residents less control over their own government help, exactly?

They vote over and over for terrible pro-crime policies. Congress just recently overturned one of their pro-crime packages. That’s a start, but the entire concept of DC home rule has failed. Giuliani and Bloomberg crushed in NYC with tough-on-crime policies. DC needs that and more. President should be able to appoint a czar of DC to implement Bukele policies and make our capital city safe. I recommend Bloomberg. If only he was still in charge of NYC.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 03:51:28 PM »

President should be able to appoint a czar of DC to implement Bukele policies and make our capital city safe.

Maybe that would happen. Much more likely, they appoint one of their cronies who doesn’t care about keeping DC safe, since he isn’t accountable to any voters, and DC becomes even worse.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2024, 04:38:41 PM »

The country is too crowded anyway, it is what it is.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2024, 05:17:00 PM »

Haven't we had this thread multiple times? You can't compare a city to a whole country, and you can't really compare DC to other cities either since it's artificially small -- without the boundaries established centuries ago, it would have been able to annex out to "safer" areas and its crime rate would be lower.

There is nothing special about D.C. in this regard.  Other cities, like Baltimore or St. Louis, also cannot easily expand and still have to manage crime in their respective boundaries.  The inability to annex surrounding areas doesn't inherently bias the calculation of murder rates when using a per capita metric.   

On the contrary, D.C. has it easier because so much of the City gets free police patrols from federal law enforcement agencies.  Agencies like the U.S. Capitol Police, Federal Protective Service, U.S. Mint Police, Secret Service, etc. have a regular uniformed presence in the District of Columbia.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 03:10:01 PM »

For all my misspellings and historical inaccuracies here on Atlas, I’ll never get caught not understanding population density.

This is a false comparison.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 10:31:12 PM »

President should be able to appoint a czar of DC to implement Bukele policies and make our capital city safe.

Maybe that would happen. Much more likely, they appoint one of their cronies who doesn’t care about keeping DC safe, since he isn’t accountable to any voters, and DC becomes even worse.

We need two things:
1. Congress and the President in charge of DC governance
2. Members of Congress forced to live in DC most of the year so they can’t ignore the problem

This would solve the crime issue in DC.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2024, 12:15:40 PM »

There is nothing special about D.C. in this regard.  Other cities, like Baltimore or St. Louis, also cannot easily expand and still have to manage crime in their respective boundaries.  The inability to annex surrounding areas doesn't inherently bias the calculation of murder rates when using a per capita metric.   

Although Baltimore and St. Louis also have very high homicide rates. A better example would be a city like SF, which isn’t expanding at all and has a relatively low homicide rate.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2024, 01:17:09 PM »

For all my misspellings and historical inaccuracies here on Atlas, I’ll never get caught not understanding population density.

This is a false comparison.

Singapore population density: 22,000/sq mile
Singapore homicide rate: 0.1/100,000

St. Louis population density: 5,000/sq mile
St. Louis homicide rate: 56/100,000

But yeah, it’s totally population density that causes high homicide rates or something.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2024, 10:50:10 PM »

So Atlasians are far more likely to be reluctant to visit Honduras as opposed to Washington, D.C., despite the fact that Washington D.C. has a higher homicide rate.

Really shows the double think that red avatars have mastered.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2024, 08:08:00 AM »

So Atlasians are far more likely to be reluctant to visit Honduras as opposed to Washington, D.C., despite the fact that Washington D.C. has a higher homicide rate.

At least in my case, the logic is that I worked with someone from Honduras in DC who told me not to visit Honduras because of how dangerous it is. Had he not told me that, I really wouldn't mind taking a trip to Tegucigalpa. But it seems like at least anecdotally, the impression of DC's relative safety applies to Hondurans as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2024, 09:52:39 AM »

At least in my case, the logic is that I worked with someone from Honduras in DC who told me not to visit Honduras because of how dangerous it is. Had he not told me that, I really wouldn't mind taking a trip to Tegucigalpa. But it seems like at least anecdotally, the impression of DC's relative safety applies to Hondurans as well.

Panama City is the only Central American capital that isn't a complete disaster where you only go to change planes.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2024, 02:03:45 PM »

Panama City is the only Central American capital that isn't a complete disaster where you only go to change planes.

Don't forget Costa Rica
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2024, 02:23:16 PM »

They vote over and over for terrible pro-crime policies. Congress just recently overturned one of their pro-crime packages. That’s a start, but the entire concept of DC home rule has failed. Giuliani and Bloomberg crushed in NYC with tough-on-crime policies. DC needs that and more. President should be able to appoint a czar of DC to implement Bukele policies and make our capital city safe. I recommend Bloomberg. If only he was still in charge of NYC.

Literally crime is lower in NYC now than ANYTIME Giuliani was in office, and crime is lower than most of the years Bloomberg was in office.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2024, 02:34:24 PM »

Honestly, yes. I actually expected DC to be much safer, similar to New York.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies