Biden is Truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden is Truman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden is Truman  (Read 935 times)
Compuzled_One
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2024, 03:43:44 PM »

If he does win, the comparisons will definitely be made.

Trump is Grover Cleveland

-Both New Yorkers

-Both had no federal politics experience before being elected

-Both narrowly won their first pres election, but narrowly lost their second, before running for a third

-Both skeptical of certain international agreements and alliances

Cleveland didn't have Trump's horrible personality and baggage, at least as far as I know.
Cleveland was a pedo and probably a rapist that institutionalized his victim, so...
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2024, 04:06:22 PM »

I always think it is kind of ironic that people act as if Trump is the only person of ill repute to be President. Cleveland was a known jerk and so was Woodrow Wilson, among many other examples. Andrew Jackson anyone?

If anything Trump is a throwback to Gilded Age presidents and would probably fit in well in that era.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2024, 04:16:58 PM »

Truman was wise enough not to seek re-election in 1952. Biden isn't.

Truman literally lost his first primary in New Hampshire, Biden literally won the primaries, including a meaningless one in New Hampshire.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2024, 06:39:11 PM »

A moot point as Biden wasn't present prior to the 1952 election. :-p
GAinDC

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2024, 10:07:10 AM »

Truman literally lost his first primary in New Hampshire, Biden literally won the primaries, including a meaningless one in New Hampshire.

Good point. Truman and LBJ both are presidents who saw the writing on the wall early on in the primaries and dropped out for the good of the party. I think Biden would have done the same thing, but he actually crushed all his rivals and every uncommitted/write in campaign.

And yet there still has been no soul searching or public apology from the posters who were convinced that Biden would fall flat and embarrass himself in the primaries. They just glossed right over it and are now telling us that Biden is doomed in the general election.

Why should we listen to a word they say when they’ve proven to be so wrong and incapable of even admitting they were wrong?

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2024, 10:35:18 AM »

My dad used to say “Give em hell Joey” no joke I’m serious Jack. You think I’m kidding I’m not.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2024, 01:09:11 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2024, 01:12:35 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Good point. Truman and LBJ both are presidents who saw the writing on the wall early on in the primaries and dropped out for the good of the party. I think Biden would have done the same thing, but he actually crushed all his rivals and every uncommitted/write in campaign.

And yet there still has been no soul searching or public apology from the posters who were convinced that Biden would fall flat and embarrass himself in the primaries. They just glossed right over it and are now telling us that Biden is doomed in the general election.

Why should we listen to a word they say when they’ve proven to be so wrong and incapable of even admitting they were wrong?

Lol, Newsom and Harris already said that they were gonna defer to 28, Biden is still the only person to defeat Trump. It was made for Hillary to win in 16 and she couldn't beat Trump

If anyone drops out it's Harris in 28 because Newsom I think now is in a strong position to win the nomination in 28 his favs are over 50 now
Randy Marsh
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2024, 02:34:37 PM »

Who's he gonna nuke?
Obama24
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »

Biden is more like Carter or George H.W. Bush.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2024, 05:11:47 PM »

Every President who doesn't have the House always hopes they're like Truman since he's the only President to ever pick up the House while winning re-election. In fact, the House hasn't otherwise even flipped to the President's party since 1880.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2024, 11:51:38 PM »

Truman had nearly 50% approval at this point. Approvalshave never increased by more than 3-4% from this point to the election in the last 50 years of incumbents running for reelection, so this puts a realistic ceiling of 42% for Biden by Election Day.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies