Bank of America investment banker dies from overwork- commies demand 100 hour weekly caps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:42:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bank of America investment banker dies from overwork- commies demand 100 hour weekly caps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bank of America investment banker dies from overwork- commies demand 100 hour weekly caps  (Read 750 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2024, 12:46:25 PM »
« edited: May 07, 2024, 12:56:43 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/bank-of-america-investment-banker-dies/ar-BB1lVTlW

Here's the official source. Now it just says someone died but not sure why this would even be in the news unless if there was more of a story behind.

Here's the gist of what I can find

1. He's a former green beret so he has to be tough as nails.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/1cl5ec0/bofa_junior_employees_to_strike_starting_monday/
Communist employees tried to organize on WSO for a strike to lower their maximum weekly hours to 100 .
The thread was deleted by request of the family.
Fortunately it seems this isn't playing out so my Bank of America stock is safe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/1cjow2u/death_of_former_green_beret_ib_associate_at_bofa/?share_id=JdVPsMNLYOYTrYcNFkMsw&utm_content=2&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_source=share&utm_term=1

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/bank-of-america-juniors-strike-to-start-monday-may-6th
Here's the post with the demands.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 12:51:22 PM »

lfromnj threaf

I strongly oppose >100-hour workweeks (wtf) even for investment bankers, and I suspect plenty of other people who aren't communists agree with me on this.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 01:30:51 PM »

Meanwhile in South Korea, the Government almost implemented a 70hour work week....
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 01:37:46 PM »

That's happening more than usual in Japan. I think there's even a word for it in Japanese that doesn't exist in English, Spanish or German.

With that being said, I think 40 hours is already more than enough. At least no one should work be required to work more to make end's meat (which doesn't apply to bankers, but still...).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 01:40:05 PM »

That's happening more than usual in Japan. I think there's even a word for it in Japanese that doesn't exist in English, Spanish or German.

With that being said, I think 40 hours is already more than enough. At least no one should work be required to work more to make end's meat (which doesn't apply to bankers, but still...).
過労死 (かろうし/karoushi) is the word.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 03:05:55 PM »

If I die of overwork or any workplace related negligence please wave around my blood shirt in the executives faces no matter what my family says.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 03:18:18 PM »

I have worked a 100 hour week once during a trial. It was not fun, though I’d think you have to have pretty serious underlying health issues to actually die from it…
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 03:37:36 PM »

I know from experience that too much overwork will do strange and unhealthy things to you.  In my early career as a defense contractor, I was once on a project that was far behind schedule but had a lot of political clout.  We were encouraged to work as much (paid!) overtime as possible to try and catch up, and I got into a routine of driving to the office, working as long as I could, going home and sleeping, waking up and going right back to the office, regardless of what time it was -- I got completely off a regular clock schedule.  I know I worked over 90 hours some weeks, although I'm not sure I ever broke 100. 

After several weeks of this, one day I stopped for gas between home and the office.  Went inside to pay for it, got back to the car, and couldn't for the life of me remember whether I was going to the office or home.  I literally didn't know whether I was coming or going.  So I went home and slept, then took a day off (the first in a long time).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 03:38:51 PM »

people should be free to work 100 hours a week if they want and no one should be forced to work 100 hours a week.   No one has to be an investment banker and I'd bet not all investment bankers work 100 hours a week.  If you don't want to work a 100 hours a week as an investment banker, don't.  If you let it kill you, you're an idiot.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 04:11:27 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2024, 05:52:08 PM by lfromnj »

I have worked a 100 hour week once during a trial. It was not fun, though I’d think you have to have pretty serious underlying health issues to actually die from it…

Note the actual complaint is 120 hour weeks . On a similar note was it just a single 100 hour week? Its probably multiple weeks that add up and give a lot of stress to a person.

I do think it is pretty possible that this banker was probably using stimulants or other drugs as it is relatively common in the industry.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 04:14:18 PM »

When bankers start unionizing you know our system is toxic
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 04:17:16 PM »

120-hour work weeks? That leaves less than seven hours per week just for sleep assuming you do nothing else outside work.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 04:56:22 PM »

One week sounds bad but if that’s how you consistently live and work the lack of sleep alone is gonna to be detrimental to your health.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 05:03:29 PM »

Poor poor vulture capitalist banksters.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 05:04:24 PM »

Poor poor vulture capitalist banksters.
?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 05:50:31 PM »

It's tiresome seeing people called communists for making demands for reasonable demands (or for any reasons for that matter).

There are 168 hours in a week, so 120 hours leaves 48 hours for sleep which is enough for sleep every day. Of course you have other things to do besides sleep such as errands, spending time with family and friends, self-care, etc. That doesn't even factor in commute time 25-26 minutes which would total out to 2 hours per week assume a 5 day work week. A 100 hour per week cap is more than reasonable.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 09:00:58 PM »

I genuinely do not understand what these people do all day that could possibly consume 120 hours a week.

Plug the numbers into the Excel model. Make the PowerPoint. You're not developing the atomic bomb or trying to discover penicillin.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 09:21:51 PM »

My time in banking wasn’t great, but imagine dying for BofA FIG?!

At least Goldman Sachs TMT (the usual suicide spot) is a top group.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2024, 09:25:45 PM »

I genuinely do not understand what these people do all day that could possibly consume 120 hours a week.

Plug the numbers into the Excel model. Make the PowerPoint. You're not developing the atomic bomb or trying to discover penicillin.

No one actually works 120 hours. A lot of it is dumb rework and junk time waiting for senior bankers to make their (often dumb but time consuming) comments. You’re probably only really working 70-80 hours with a bunch of wasted time where you’re on call and can’t just go to sleep or head to the gym or do anything useful.

This falls squarely on the middle management here who’s entire job is basically to take the crazy ideas of the senior bankers and efficiently package and schedule it for the rest of the team.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2024, 10:07:04 PM »

No one actually works 120 hours. A lot of it is dumb rework and junk time waiting for senior bankers to make their (often dumb but time consuming) comments. You’re probably only really working 70-80 hours with a bunch of wasted time where you’re on call and can’t just go to sleep or head to the gym or do anything useful.

This falls squarely on the middle management here who’s entire job is basically to take the crazy ideas of the senior bankers and efficiently package and schedule it for the rest of the team.

A middle manager is not unlike a lawn spreader. They take the manure from above and distribute it evenly below.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2024, 10:09:53 PM »

There is no way that anyone can be remotely productive working a 100 hr work week. It's simply pure sociopathy and an out of control work culture that let's these things happen. It's in everyone's interests (except sociopathic managers who get off on torturing their subordinates) to crack down on this.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 09:02:50 PM »

We'd all be better off if investment bankers worked less hours.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 11:27:53 PM »

"Waiting for people to add comments" is not work and it certainly doesn't justify someone being physically present at work for 120 hours.

I used to work for a software company. We often had to wait for "comments" in the form of testing notes or stakeholder feedback before moving code to the next stage. We did not literally wait at the office all day and night for that. People went home and if there was something that needed your attention, the appropriate person would email/message you.

Are there seriously 80 year old dinosaurs in banking who want you to walk into a conference room at 11 at night so they can tell you something in person?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 04:32:49 AM »

"commies are demanding a 100 hour workweek"

99% chance lfromnj has never even worked close to that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 05:07:47 AM »

A cap at 100? Ridiculous. No one should work more than 48 hours a week (and you should be able to earn a living wage with 32).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies