Lia Thomas sues to be allowed to try out for US Olympic Team
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:53:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lia Thomas sues to be allowed to try out for US Olympic Team
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Lia Thomas sues to be allowed to try out for US Olympic Team  (Read 1382 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2024, 08:12:07 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/transgender-swimmer-lia-thomas-mounted-legal-challenge-world-aquatics-rcna135862

Lia Thomas has opened a secret lawsuit aganist World Aquatics, the global governing body for swimming. After Lia Thomas's victory in 2022, the federation passed new rules that prohibit trans women from competing in women’s swimming events unless they transitioned before age 12.

It was initially filed in January 2024. Thomas is being represented by a Canadian law firm and suing in Swiss court

The fact this hasn't gotten more media attention is weird.

So it looks like certain atlas posters are wrong again

First, they said trans athletes should compete in female sports. The odds of them winning was so slim.

Than, they said women sports aren't that serious. Who cares if trans athletes win.

Than, they said new rules solved the problem forever. So why was I making a big deal out of it?

See, I was right.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 08:19:56 PM »

Hopefully she is successful.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 08:22:56 PM »

Good
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 08:56:16 PM »

Lia Thomas is not a bioloogical female.

I see no problem telling people that you can transition or compete in sports as the gender you are, biologically.  The decision to open women's swimming to trans women, who are biologically male, is damaging to every biological female athlete who deserve a category of sports reserved for biological females.  No one HAS to transition, but the choice to transition does not, and should not, allow you to be competing as a female when you are (and always will be) a biological male.  Biological female athletes are not required, and should not be required, to sacrifice for biological males who have chosen to transition.  The burden here should be on those who voluntarily transition, and not on those who are competing on the basis of their biological sex.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 09:02:22 PM »

Lia's high performance is an outlier among the transfem athletes we've seen iirc. And even then it wasn't enough to warrant banning her from competing. A study by the Olympics people found that the narrative that trans women are inherently stronger overall is deeply flawed.
 https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/olympic-trans-women-ioc-study-rcna148437
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 09:04:03 PM »

I see no problem telling people that you can transition or compete in sports as the gender you are, biologically.  The decision to open women's swimming to trans women, who are biologically male, is damaging to every biological female athlete who deserve a category of sports reserved for biological females.  No one HAS to transition, but the choice to transition does not, and should not, allow you to be competing as a female when you are (and always will be) a biological male.  Biological female athletes are not required, and should not be required, to sacrifice for biological males who have chosen to transition.  The burden here should be on those who voluntarily transition, and not on those who are competing on the basis of their biological sex.

Fuzzy, the grass will still be green, leaves will still fall in autumn, the sun will still rise and set, the moon will still shine and stars will still twinkle in distant galaxies. Regardless of whether this woman is able to try out for USA Swimming.
We already had a 10+ page thread litigating this before motorcity decided to resurrect it. Doing this again is not worth your energy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 09:06:23 PM »

Disgusting. I hope she gets laughed out of court. Is she trying to hurt the trans rights movement? No one can really be this delusional, right?
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 09:09:53 PM »

Disgusting. I hope she gets laughed out of court. Is she trying to hurt the trans rights movement? No one can really be this delusional, right?
https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/olympic-trans-women-ioc-study-rcna148437
What are your thoughts on the report described in this article?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 09:18:09 PM »

Lia's high performance is an outlier among the transfem athletes we've seen iirc. And even then it wasn't enough to warrant banning her from competing. A study by the Olympics people found that the narrative that trans women are inherently stronger overall is deeply flawed.

Lia Thomas is not a biological female. 

That's a bottom line here.  I don't care about the studies, and I don't necessarily believe your sources.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 09:20:53 PM »

That's a bottom line here.  I don't care about the studies, and I don't necessarily believe your sources.
Well God forbid facts and studies about biology get in the way of your feelings on it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 09:22:22 PM »

Well God forbid facts and studies about biology get in the way of your feelings on it.

That Lia Thomas is not a biological female is an indisputable fact.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 09:22:41 PM »

His feelings don't care about your facts.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 09:26:47 PM »

Hopefully not
Not good!

Preach!
I agree 100%

Fuzzy, the grass will still be green, leaves will still fall in autumn, the sun will still rise and set, the moon will still shine and stars will still twinkle in distant galaxies. Regardless of whether this woman is able to try out for USA Swimming.
We already had a 10+ page thread litigating this before motorcity decided to resurrect it. Doing this again is not worth your energy.
And the consensus of that 10 page thread was that trans women should not compete aganist cis women. I decided to resurrect it because I found out a new deveoplement. The previous thread the consensus was that the issue was "settled". Apprently not
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 09:28:14 PM »

Not a fan of this, but watching the Riley Gaines temper tantrum might make it worth it.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 09:30:25 PM »

It's highly disputable. She's been on hormones a long time by now, her body chemistry, fat distribution, etc are unambiguously female at these stage. The claim that biological sex is based on chromosome variations that's direct effects IIRC basically amount to controlling hormones in the womb is not any more valid than the idea that it's based on the measurable differences caused by hormonal factors over a long period of time.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 09:36:33 PM »

Hopefully not
Not good!

Preach!
I agree 100%

And the consensus of that 10 page thread was that trans women should not compete aganist cis women. I decided to resurrect it because I found out a new deveoplement. The previous thread the consensus was that the issue was "settled". Apprently not

The "consensus" resembled Fuzzy's above post, which you've heartily applauded: short on facts and evidence, heavy on emotion and feelings.
I hope you don't teach your students to think this way, but I don't have high hopes. 
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 09:38:47 PM »

I honestly would not be that surprised if Lia Thomas was a Republican plant. I can’t think of a single individual who has done more harm to the trans rights movement than her.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 09:43:06 PM »

I honestly would not be that surprised if Lia Thomas was a Republican plant. I can’t think of a single individual who has done more harm to the trans rights movement than her.

Ah good, you've arrived. The transphobic gang from the last thread is almost all here. Now we just need everyone's favorite ironic yellow avatars and we can have another sh**tshow.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 09:45:35 PM »

Ah good, you've arrived. The transphobic gang from the last thread is almost all here. Now we just need everyone's favorite ironic yellow avatars and we can have another sh**tshow.
I mean it’s just a straight up fact that the Lia Thomas incident was absolutely terrible optics for the trans rights movement, but go off
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2024, 09:50:01 PM »

I mean it’s just a straight up fact that the Lia Thomas incident was absolutely terrible optics for the trans rights movement, but go off

And I'm sure you'll just continue to ignore the recent studies showing why it shouldn't have been as posted above.

Don't concern troll that you care about trans people and that's why you're in these threads fighting so hard about something that doesn't affect you.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2024, 10:01:42 PM »

It's highly disputable. She's been on hormones a long time by now, her body chemistry, fat distribution, etc are unambiguously female at these stage. The claim that biological sex is based on chromosome variations that's direct effects IIRC basically amount to controlling hormones in the womb is not any more valid than the idea that it's based on the measurable differences caused by hormonal factors over a long period of time.
What?

If you have a Y chromosone, you are a biological male. End of story. Even the crazist activists don't even argue this fact
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2024, 10:05:16 PM »

What?

If you have a Y chromosone, you are a biological male. End of story. Even the crazist activists don't even argue this fact

Wow. Great analysis.

24/7 obsession with this story and you don't even understand the basic science behind it.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2024, 10:06:00 PM »

And I'm sure you'll just continue to ignore the recent studies showing why it shouldn't have been as posted above.

Don't concern troll that you care about trans people and that's why you're in these threads fighting so hard about something that doesn't affect you.

Wasn’t Lia Thomas competing in the female division before going on HRT for at least a full year (which iirc is now the requirement)?  If so, those studies would be completely irrelevant since they concern trans athletes who have been on HRT for a sufficient amount of time
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2024, 10:10:28 PM »

I think it would surprise you.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2024, 10:11:05 PM »

What?

Wow. Great analysis.

24/7 obsession with this story and you don't even understand the basic science behind it.

A few months back, a girls basketball team in Vermont had to forfit a game because their players kept getting hurt by a trans girl athelete on the other side

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies