Politico pulls a NYT, gets mad at Biden over his WHCD speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico pulls a NYT, gets mad at Biden over his WHCD speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico pulls a NYT, gets mad at Biden over his WHCD speech  (Read 570 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2024, 12:20:17 PM »

Biden’s False Choice for the Media

"The press can cover the stakes — and the horserace."

"President Joe Biden donned his press critic cap at last weekend’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner to lecture the reporters and editors who cover him on how to cover the 2024 presidential campaign."

"It was a discordant note. Was there anybody in the audience who hasn’t been taking Trump seriously? Which mainstream publication represented in the crowd has failed to smother Trump’s resurrection and authoritarian bluster with seriousness? (No, Fox News doesn’t count.)

As described by the president, either you’re covering the campaign seriously — meaning reporting out how dangerous Trump is — or you’re covering it frivolously by publishing and analyzing poll data, or revealing the Biden administration’s mistakes, or publishing stories that embarrass the administration. What rankles is the way he presented this false choice as an either-or proposition."

"For a politician to ask the press to downplay the horserace when politicians rank among the most dedicated clients of pollsters oozes hypocrisy. To disdain gotcha moments when every campaign deploys them against opponents is more of the same. As for distractions and sideshows, every political campaign known to mankind — including Biden’s — exploits distractions and sideshows to its advantage."

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/05/01/bidens-false-choice-for-the-media-00155434
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 12:21:16 PM »

We're at the brink of an attempted dictatorship and the DC press just can't get it right. They refuse to give up the horse-race, and refuse to do any introspection on their work. They refuse to take any criticism.

Trump tried to steal an election in 2020 and 2021, and now they're more worried by Biden chastising them to.... the horror! take the election seriously and stop screwing around.
GAinDC

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 12:50:21 PM »

We're at the brink of an attempted dictatorship and the DC press just can't get it right. They refuse to give up the horse-race, and refuse to do any introspection on their work. They refuse to take any criticism.

Trump tried to steal an election in 2020 and 2021, and now they're more worried by Biden chastising them to.... the horror! take the election seriously and stop screwing around.

Good thing they’ve now been exposed for the frauds they are and nobody takes them seriously anymore
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 12:55:17 PM »

The DC bubble is a hell of a drug.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 01:20:55 PM »

These assholes make Kanye look humble.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 01:22:14 PM »

The American media is dangerously in love with the smell of their own farts.
Obama24
Rookie
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 04:20:10 PM »

In his second term, Biden should have them closed and the journalists that are questioning them, or covering Trump, jailed. They are giving aid and comfort to the enemy by questioning Biden, and by covering Trump and giving him a platform, and as such are traitors by proxy.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 04:22:45 PM »

In his second term, Biden should have them closed and the journalists that are questioning them, or covering Trump, jailed. They are giving aid and comfort to the enemy by questioning Biden, and by covering Trump and giving him a platform, and as such are traitors by proxy.

Violates the First Amendment and habeas corpus but thankfully Biden will not do nor would he even consider doing what you think he should.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 04:28:49 PM »

lol
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 04:51:39 PM »

lol

Based and Adamspilled
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 05:20:17 PM »

To be fair, the author of that opinion piece, Jack Shafer, is a well known right wing hack.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 12:55:20 AM »

It is disturbing, but I am positively thrilled to see the Democrats finally ending their self-destructive, one-sided love affair with the "liberal" mainstream media. If Trump ever got anything right, it was that they truly are the enemy of the people and I'm glad the left is finally recognizing that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 01:00:31 AM »

It is disturbing, but I am positively thrilled to see the Democrats finally ending their self-destructive, one-sided love affair with the "liberal" mainstream media. If Trump ever got anything right, it was that they truly are the enemy of the people and I'm glad the left is finally recognizing that.

Biden supporters started crying about how unfair the media was after Kabul fell, with no awareness that he became President only because of the media.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 01:26:40 AM »

Wasn't Politico always somewhat against Biden? I remember a long story how Obama wanted Biden not to run etc.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 02:25:12 AM »

Biden supporters started crying about how unfair the media was after Kabul fell, with no awareness that he became President only because of the media.

Cope Trump simp.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2024, 07:28:30 AM »

"That’s why I want to close tonight with my genuine thanks to the free press. There are some who call you the 'enemy of the people.'  That’s wrong, and it’s dangerous." - Biden from the speech
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2024, 09:09:27 AM »

Wasn't Politico always somewhat against Biden? I remember a long story how Obama wanted Biden not to run etc.

Probably, but in the last few years Politico was acquired by a German conglomerate best known for publishing moronic right wing tabloids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Springer_SE
That explains their notable nosedive in quality.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »

I was about to post my own thread

To summarize the article's argument

"We can take Trump seriously and frivolously obsess over gotcha moments and horserace polling"

Here is an exact quote

"every political campaign known to mankind — including Biden’s — exploits distractions and sideshows to its advantage."

So basically, we aren't going to support you. Our argument is that what your asking is what we are already doing, just for your benefit.

Here is another quote

"Biden is so press averse that members of his own party have begged him to spend more time with reporters."

They are admitting they don't like President Biden, the best president in a generation, because he doesn't give interviews.

Finally, this ridiculous quote

"A politically damaging news story about Politician A is not ordinarily designed as a political favor to Politician B, even if Politician B has announced his dictatorial ambitions. Nor does such a story automatically convey a measure of “equivalence” between Pols A and B."

This is a blatant lie.

Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2024, 12:14:19 PM »

I’m sincerely not asking of you to take sides but asking you to rise up to the seriousness of the moment; move past the horserace numbers and the gotcha moments and the distractions, the sideshows that have come to dominate and sensationalize our politics; and focus on what’s actually at stake. I think, in your hearts, you know what’s at stake. The stakes couldn’t be higher.

Politico is a self-serious gossip rag. No wonder even something as tepid and innocuous as this, delivered at one of their industry's great circle-jerks, offends them.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2024, 12:24:37 PM »

"That’s why I want to close tonight with my genuine thanks to the free press. There are some who call you the 'enemy of the people.'  That’s wrong, and it’s dangerous." - Biden from the speech

Biden's always been behind the times.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2024, 12:42:42 PM »

Or, another possibility, you mindlessly adopting Trump's meme is wrong and dangerous just like he said.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 01:23:54 PM »

I was about to post my own thread

To summarize the article's argument

"We can take Trump seriously and frivolously obsess over gotcha moments and horserace polling"

Here is an exact quote

"every political campaign known to mankind — including Biden’s — exploits distractions and sideshows to its advantage."

So basically, we aren't going to support you. Our argument is that what your asking is what we are already doing, just for your benefit.

Here is another quote

"Biden is so press averse that members of his own party have begged him to spend more time with reporters."

They are admitting they don't like President Biden, the best president in a generation, because he doesn't give interviews.

Finally, this ridiculous quote

"A politically damaging news story about Politician A is not ordinarily designed as a political favor to Politician B, even if Politician B has announced his dictatorial ambitions. Nor does such a story automatically convey a measure of “equivalence” between Pols A and B."

This is a blatant lie.

How so?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 01:38:52 PM »

The media is Trump TV. Competitive authoritarianism isn't coming, it's here.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2024, 04:30:52 PM »

LOL I'm sorry what? Pretty sure most people have been clear about how the press has never liked Biden. They were trying to write his campaign obituary all of 2019.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2024, 04:35:09 PM »

LOL I'm sorry what? Pretty sure most people have been clear about how the press has never liked Biden. They were trying to write his campaign obituary all of 2019.

People had PTSD after the disgraceful way Clinton was treated in 2016 and thought their simple tolerance or indifference of Biden was somehow biased towards him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies