Trump will speak at 2024 con of Libertarian Party, who once called him "the opposite of libertarian"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:32:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump will speak at 2024 con of Libertarian Party, who once called him "the opposite of libertarian"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Trump will speak at 2024 con of Libertarian Party, who once called him "the opposite of libertarian"  (Read 2956 times)
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2024, 09:52:40 AM »

https://lnc2024.com/president-donald-trump-at-the-libertarian-national-convention/

I guess them Koch boys have stopped pretending he offends them.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 09:59:14 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:43 AM »

2024 Libertarian Party Presidential Nominee Donald J. Trump
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 10:21:04 AM »

I would like to say that Angela McArdle has formally made the same extension to speak to the Libertarian Convention to Biden and RFK Jr. that she extended to Trump.

If Libertarians thought Trump was good, they'd be Republicans. I don't see delegates unless they're all entryist plants therefore voting for him. And I don't see Trump putting himself up for nomination, otherwise you're looking at the threat of Trump could lose to the likes of Chase Oliver. Most state delegates have already been decided. I was at the Indiana Convention and there was never mention of anything like this as far as people running for delegate. Therefore the Trump-aligned would more likely seek None of the Above to be the presidential nominee.

The most I heard at the Convention was the people held to have done a sh*t job running the party (some Mises, some not) were caring more about a function being held adjacent to the Convention instead of the Convention itself.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 10:30:02 AM »

Certainly not the first person with an attraction to underaged girls to speak at the Libertarian National Convention.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 10:32:11 AM »

Certainly not the first person with an attraction to underaged girls to speak at the Libertarian National Convention.

Many such cases
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 10:33:29 AM »

I would like to say that Angela McArdle has formally made the same extension to speak to the Libertarian Convention to Biden and RFK Jr. that she extended to Trump.

If Libertarians thought Trump was good, they'd be Republicans. I don't see delegates unless they're all entryist plants therefore voting for him. And I don't see Trump putting himself up for nomination, otherwise you're looking at the threat of Trump could lose to the likes of Chase Oliver. Most state delegates have already been decided. I was at the Indiana Convention and there was never mention of anything like this as far as people running for delegate. Therefore the Trump-aligned would more likely seek None of the Above to be the presidential nominee.

The most I heard at the Convention was the people held to have done a sh*t job running the party (some Mises, some not) were caring more about a function being held adjacent to the Convention instead of the Convention itself.

Thanks for the insiders' insight on this. I like Chase Oliver too, I don't agree with libertarians on much but he is clearly committed in good faith to those ideals. I certainly hope the Mises Institute isn't able to completely destroy the party for their alt-right adjacent goals.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 10:41:28 AM »

Libertarians: "WhY dO pEoPlE tHiNk ThAt We'Re RePuBlIcAnS?"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 10:43:36 AM »

Time for a red avatar switch John Dule.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »

Well, Libertarians are just pot smoking Republicans, so this isn't a huge surprise. Even on foreign policy, the Republican Party has sharply drifted into the direction of isolationism, so this is aligns well.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 11:08:50 AM »

Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 11:20:28 AM »

Well, Libertarians are just pot smoking Republicans, so this isn't a huge surprise. Even on foreign policy, the Republican Party has sharply drifted into the direction of isolationism, so this is aligns well.

Well you're bright.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 11:24:15 AM »

And people like Vivek and Tucker supported Ron Paul’s bid in 2008 as well
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 11:36:04 AM »

I'm not sure, but I doubt the Koch family is part of the "Mises" wing of the Libertarian Party (which I'm pretty sure is their equivalent of the Tea Party/MAGA wing of the GOP)
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 11:46:39 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 11:50:29 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

I'm not sure, but I doubt the Koch family is part of the "Mises" wing of the Libertarian Party (which I'm pretty sure is their equivalent of the Tea Party/MAGA wing of the GOP)

Kochs have been done with the national Libertarian Party since the 1983 Convention.

I've gotten notice from leadership on this. I'll keep what was said to myself, but people are reacting.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 11:55:35 AM »

Mike Gravel
Bob Barr
Ron Paul
William Weld
Gary Johnson

Just some of the people who have either been on the Libertarian national ticket or come close to being so, and they don't exactly come from a mutual ideological background or tradition. It's immensely easy to hijack any of the minor parties if you are even vaguely notable.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 11:58:06 AM »

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 12:26:08 PM »

Wow, are real Libertarians going to stand for this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 12:59:29 PM »

Trump (and the modern GOP overall) seem to be a good fit for the libertarian base of anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 02:38:57 PM »

Libertarians are now compromising their principles of less government interference in favor of a man calling for more state intervention along the border, running for the opposite party in the main election.

Sad!
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 03:59:10 PM »

Libertarians against this at the convention have the opportunity to reenact the 2016 convention's main draw - that one stripping dude.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 04:34:44 PM »

Would argue the Libertarians being pot smoking Republicans started under either Pat Buchanan, or Ron Paul. Either way it's nothing new. What is new to me is that they'd endorse someone so antithetical to libertarian viewpoints.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 05:47:57 PM »

Would argue the Libertarians being pot smoking Republicans started under either Pat Buchanan, or Ron Paul. Either way it's nothing new. What is new to me is that they'd endorse someone so antithetical to libertarian viewpoints.

Buchanan and Paul actually had libertarian leanings who diverge from the Republicans on issues such as foreign intervention and free trade. What is Trump going to bring to a libertarian platform? The man is as authoritarian as any mainstream Republican. Maybe you can make the case Trump is the most dovish Republican in a long time but even he's still leans hawkish well to the contrary of your average libertarian.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 05:58:42 PM »

Buchanan and Paul actually had libertarian leanings who diverge from the Republicans on issues such as foreign intervention and free trade. What is Trump going to bring to a libertarian platform? The man is as authoritarian as any mainstream Republican. Maybe you can make the case Trump is the most dovish Republican in a long time but even he's still leans hawkish well to the contrary of your average libertarian.

Yup.

This is distinctly un-libertarian: https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/01/politics/trump-immigration-what-matters/index.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 06:00:16 PM »

Wow, are real Libertarians going to stand for this?
It sounds like they're still going to nominate a candidate which is really weird. What they could do is nominate a really weak one who doesn't campaign and maybe even says you should just vote for Trump anyway. But the "real Libertarians" would likely stand up to to this...I guess we'll see. I have no clue who's even running.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies