Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:58:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.  (Read 1118 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2024, 05:19:03 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/palestinian-refugees-us-gaza-white-house/
[The Biden administration is considering bringing certain Palestinians to the U.S. as refugees, a move that would offer a permanent safe haven to some of those fleeing war-torn Gaza, according to internal federal government documents obtained by CBS News.

In recent weeks, the documents show, senior officials across several federal U.S. agencies have discussed the practicality of different options to resettle Palestinians from Gaza who have immediate family members who are American citizens or permanent residents.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:22:20 PM »

Good.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 05:22:51 PM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 05:23:48 PM »

Send em to Madison, Ann Arbor and Philly. Minneapolis for good measure.
omar04

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 05:32:26 PM »

This doesn’t sound too concrete at the moment. The WH likely wants to avoid any easy layups for the Republicans by waiting out the campus protests and resettling a relatively small number of Gazans who are already in Egypt and have US citizen family.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 05:33:29 PM »

women, children and Alphabet people only.  Maybe single fathers, maybe.  Certainly no unattached 16-40 year old cis males.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 05:47:52 PM »

women, children and Alphabet people only.  Maybe single fathers, maybe.  Certainly no unattached 16-40 year old cis males.
Where does it say or imply that anywhere in the article?

It even lists a criteria quite different:
[The Biden administration is considering bringing certain Palestinians to the U.S. as refugees, a move that would offer a permanent safe haven to some of those fleeing war-torn Gaza, according to internal federal government documents obtained by CBS News.

In recent weeks, the documents show, senior officials across several federal U.S. agencies have discussed the practicality of different options to resettle Palestinians from Gaza who have immediate family members who are American citizens or permanent residents.
omar04

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 05:51:36 PM »

women, children and Alphabet people only.  Maybe single fathers, maybe.  Certainly no unattached 16-40 year old cis males.

It even lists a criteria quite different:

I think dead0man was stating his personal criteria.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 05:52:09 PM »

I was just saying in general, we should allow refugees from all the places where the men are horrible.  But we can't bring the men, they are the problem.

Palestinians from Gaza who have immediate family members who are American citizens or permanent residents
that's both too broad (too many dudes) and too narrow (leaving behind too many victims of those dudes).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 05:54:32 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this. We certainly owe them a better life, as we have been funding their destruction for decades, but it feels like this is in preparation for some new condos in "Eretz Yisrael."
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 07:06:39 PM »

The concept of bringing in refugees from a war waged by an ally that the US has been and will continue to support is objectively insane. Additionally, while the vast majority of these refugees will clearly not be Hamas members or looking to commit terrorism, the fact is that it will take exactly one to poison US refugee policy for a generation. There have to be some pro-Palestinian countries that would make more sense as a place for refugees to settle.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 07:07:27 PM »

The concept of bringing in refugees from a war waged by an ally that the US has been and will continue to support is objectively insane. Additionally, while the vast majority of these refugees will clearly not be Hamas members or looking to commit terrorism, the fact is that it will take exactly one to poison US refugee policy for a generation. There have to be some pro-Palestinian countries that would make more sense as a place for refugees to settle.

You'd think other countries in the Arab world would step up.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 07:17:57 PM »

You'd think other countries in the Arab world would step up.

Yeah, the policy of actively sabotaging the Palestinian refugee issue goes back decades. I don't think it'll change, but I was thinking of, like...Ireland and Spain. There are many options that aren't Israel's most steadfast allies.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 07:19:50 PM »

I love how the GOP demonize people at the lowest point in their life for political gain
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 07:21:10 PM »

This is like allowing German Protestants to immigrate here from 1939-1945 . This is objectively insane
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 07:23:04 PM »

This is like allowing German Protestants to immigrate here from 1939-1945 . This is objectively insane
What would be wrong with granting asylum to Dietrich Bonhoeffer?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 07:24:02 PM »

This is the first sane post in this thread.

wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 07:27:10 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 07:37:08 PM by wnwnwn »

Trump will likely camaping agaisnt this as much as sensible.
I think a path for this would be to only accpect minors under 14 and women, and somehow verify they aren´t Hamas supporters. This could be logical, but anti-zionists would protests agaisnt that.
Also LGTB people / non hetero cis in general, but I don´t want to think how they would "prove" this...
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 07:37:47 PM »

I love how the GOP demonize people at the lowest point in their life for political gain

Sorry, but my sympathy is reserved for Jews in America who have endured a wave of anti-Jew behavior that is well-organized, well-funded, and where local, state, and national government agencies will not step up to the pump and recognize the pro-Palestine mobs as a coalition of violent anti-Jewish scumbags and useful idiots.  

When Palestinians in America who are actually influential (A) condemn unconditionally calls for Intifada (here and over there), (B) condemn the pro-Palestine protesters as criminals and their activities as crimes, and (C) unequivocally acknowledge Israel's right to exist, then, and only then, can this subject even be discussed.  Until then, they can find some other country that will take them in.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 07:41:49 PM »

What would be wrong with granting asylum to Dietrich Bonhoeffer?

Dietrich Bonhoffer was a documented dissident.  Now if there were such a thing as an anti-Hamas, anti-Intifada refugees from Gaza, that would be something else.  Show me actual Gaza residents who oppose Hamas and support Israel's right to exist.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 07:43:16 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this. We certainly owe them a better life, as we have been funding their destruction for decades, but it feels like this is in preparation for some new condos in "Eretz Yisrael."

We owe the Palestinians nothing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 07:45:18 PM »

Sorry, but my sympathy is reserved for Jews in America who have endured a wave of anti-Jew behavior that is well-organized, well-funded, and where local, state, and national government agencies will not step up to the pump and recognize the pro-Palestine mobs as a coalition of violent anti-Jewish scumbags and useful idiots.  

When Palestinians in America who are actually influential (A) condemn unconditionally calls for Intifada (here and over there), (B) condemn the pro-Palestine protesters as criminals and their activities as crimes, and (C) unequivocally acknowledge Israel's right to exist, then, and only then, can this subject even be discussed.  Until then, they can find some other country that will take them in.

Exactly this . The only Palestinians we should allow to immigrate here are those who :

- oppose calls for an intifada

- 100% support Israel’s right to exist and oppose Palestinian nationalists goals of trying to destroy Israel

If they don’t do that , we should not accept immigrants who are currently support efforts to destroy a close ally of ours
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2024, 07:51:26 PM »

“When I am Weaker than you, I ask you for Freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am Stronger than you, I take away your Freedom because that is according to my principles.”

― Frank Herbert, Children of Dune

Normal Americans need to get this message.  This is how the Intifada crowd roll.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2024, 07:58:16 PM »

What angers me the most is that this war could end tomorrow if the hostages were released. But Hamas "can't find them" and they won't live up to their side of the deal. All the continued fighting is doing is feeding into Hamas's & our adversaries narrative that Israel is prolonging the war as it's convenient to blame Israel within the CRT-minded narrative.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2024, 08:00:54 PM »

What angers me the most is that this war could end tomorrow if the hostages were released. But Hamas "can't find them" and they won't live up to their side of the deal. All the continued fighting is doing is feeding into Hamas's & our adversaries narrative that Israel is prolonging the war as it's convenient to blame Israel within the CRT-minded narrative.

Sadly, I think it is an increasingly likely possibility that most of the hostages are no longer with us.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies