The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:18:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 173110 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: August 16, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

This is assuming people in the RPP have half a brain and vote for someone capable over someone who in my mind at least has never proven themself.  Not meant to be a slight againest Rowan or the RPP, I just have'nt seen anything really on Rowan's policy and I'm worried about the RPP's machine politics.

I haven't heard any kind of machine politics.

Let's be serious here. You can't rant and rave against the JCP machine and not recognize your own party's machine organization. Blind support for your party may convince them to push for your candidacy, but it likely won't win you many elections.

Well certainly not in a national sense. Of course they must have machine politics in the Dirty South, which I am not too familiar with. I mean Duke just basically said "f it, I'm going to run" and started a campaign with one week left. That's not very machine-like.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1051 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:57 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

This is assuming people in the RPP have half a brain and vote for someone capable over someone who in my mind at least has never proven themself.  Not meant to be a slight againest Rowan or the RPP, I just have'nt seen anything really on Rowan's policy and I'm worried about the RPP's machine politics.

The habit of voting as a block with members picking and choosing how they vote will go versus how the DA goes about it as lettting members make the choices themselves.

Well Vepres isn't voting for RB I don't think and maybe Duke isn't. I'm not sure but I don't think "the machine" would be letting people pref afleitch but some of us are. No one will tell me how to vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1052 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

Let's be serious here. You can't rant and rave against the JCP machine and not recognize your own party's machine organization. Blind support for your party may convince them to push for your candidacy, but it likely won't win you many elections.

Well certainly not in a national sense. Of course they must have machine politics in the Dirty South, which I am not too familiar with. I mean Duke just basically said "f it, I'm going to run" and started a campaign with one week left. That's not very machine-like.

As far as I can tell from what was said by SPC, Duke was asked to run as the RPP was considering running a third candidate. Perhaps you were not kept in the loop, but the people pulling the strings in the RPP have run it like a machine, sometimes better oiled than others.

Also, while some of the more active and independent RPP members will be voting as they wish, you can bet mass PMs will be sent to RPP zombie voters with a specific ballot to post. Just as the JCP likely does.

On a side not to SPC, the Senate race is more likely 2 JCP Hold, 1 RPP Takeover, 1 DA Hold and 1 Tossup.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1053 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

As far as I can tell from what was said by SPC, Duke was asked to run as the RPP was considering running a third candidate. Perhaps you were not kept in the loop, but the people pulling the strings in the RPP have run it like a machine, sometimes better oiled than others.

Also, while some of the more active and independent RPP members will be voting as they wish, you can bet mass PMs will be sent to RPP zombie voters with a specific ballot to post. Just as the JCP likely does.

On a side not to SPC, the Senate race is more likely 2 JCP Hold, 1 RPP Takeover, 1 DA Hold and 1 Tossup.

You don't think DWTL himself would've ran if we were going for a third? He outperformed Duke in their respective special elections. Also, you'd think they would be giving me this "ballot list" as I'm new for the most part and haven't even voted before.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1054 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »

I'm going go out on a limb and say that Marokai, Fritz, Franzl, SPC and Rowan get in. My campaign will rev it's engines up midway through but sputter to the finish line. Such is life, I suppose.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1055 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

You don't think DWTL himself would've ran if we were going for a third? He outperformed Duke in their respective special elections. Also, you'd think they would be giving me this "ballot list" as I'm new for the most part and haven't even voted before.

Each race had different dynamics at work, for the record. The DA endorsed the RPP candidate in DWTL's race over Fritz, while they endorsed Marokai in my race, who was probably more qualified anyway due to his experience as AG and the like. Plus he's probably the most active guy here.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1056 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

First, DWTL has already made clear he has no interest in the seat. Otherwise I think he would have been running instead of Rowan.

Second, it's a week before the election. Give it time and see what happens. With large parties like the RPP and JCP it is important for them to micro-manage votes to ensure that their candidates are as evenly split as possible, in addition to making voting for the less active machine voters as simple as possible (click link, copy/paste, post).

Also, at Duke's last post, I'm not sure if the DA actually managed to endorse anyone in either of those races. I know the Marokai vs. you was not 50% + 1, so no one was endorsed by the party, and, if anything, the DWTL vs. Fritz went to Fritz. The endorsements you mentioned were just my personal endorsements. For the record. Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1057 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »

1)Franzl
2)Fritz
3)Marokai
4)SPC
5)Afleitch

First, DWTL has already made clear he has no interest in the seat. Otherwise I think he would have been running instead of Rowan.

Second, it's a week before the election. Give it time and see what happens. With large parties like the RPP and JCP it is important for them to micro-manage votes to ensure that their candidates are as evenly split as possible, in addition to making voting for the less active machine voters as simple as possible (click link, copy/paste, post).

Also, at Duke's last post, I'm not sure if the DA actually managed to endorse anyone in either of those races. I know the Marokai vs. you was not 50% + 1, so no one was endorsed by the party, and, if anything, the DWTL vs. Fritz went to Fritz. The endorsements you mentioned were just my personal endorsements. For the record. Wink

Well, you're voice, like mine or DWTL or SPC's in the RPP, matters a great deal. The funny thing about politics is most voters want to be told what to do rather than think for themselves. It's apparent in real life just as it is in the political machines in Atlasia. It's a fact of life. Tongue
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1058 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »

Actually, I just suggested that we run a write-in candidate, and Duke volunteered.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1059 on: August 16, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »

Actually, I just suggested that we run a write-in candidate, and Duke volunteered.

But you were okay with running a third candidate. It didn't shock you and DWTL and force you to reconsider the numbers scheme. It was carefully planned. Hamilton seems to think Duke decided to buck the party and run the campaign as a maverick, which you would agree is not the case.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1060 on: August 16, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »

But you were okay with running a third candidate. It didn't shock you and DWTL and force you to reconsider the numbers scheme. It was carefully planned. Hamilton seems to think Duke decided to buck the party and run the campaign as a maverick, which you would agree is not the case.

It really wasn't carefully planned at all. It was just thrown together one day. The numbers weren't even being decided yet(on who votes for whom, etc.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1061 on: August 16, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »

It really wasn't carefully planned at all. It was just thrown together one day. The numbers weren't even being decided yet(on who votes for whom, etc.)

There was more planning than Hamilton believes there to be. You also would say that the numbers are, at some point, decided. I'm not detracting from this strategy. The JCP uses them too. I'm just trying to let Hamilton know that just because he doesn't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1062 on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »

There was more planning than Hamilton believes there to be. You also would say that the numbers are, at some point, decided. I'm not detracting from this strategy. The JCP uses them too. I'm just trying to let Hamilton know that just because he doesn't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Of course the numbers are decided at some point. If not, there's no way we could guarantee getting at least two members in.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1063 on: August 16, 2009, 11:35:39 PM »

Wait, what? I was never approached about running. I just into the race because I thought it would make it interesting. I never ran it by anyone in the RPP before I decided to go for it. I'm really not sure what SPC is talking about, because I never had a conversation with him on running as a third candidate. If I had, I certainly wouldn't have done it in the style in which I am doing it now. This was a spur of the moment thing on my part. No need to try to make it seem like it was anything otherwise.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1064 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »

Sorry, it would appear that I had a misunderstanding. Apparently Duke never saw my suggestion.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1065 on: August 17, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »

Of course the numbers are decided at some point. If not, there's no way we could guarantee getting at least two members in.

Wait a minute.  You guys actually sit down and DECIDE who votes for who?  And then tell the members who they are supposed to vote for?

To my knowledge, the JCP does not employ this strategy.  Yes, PMs are sent, but thats not quite the same thing.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1066 on: August 17, 2009, 07:48:32 AM »

Wait a minute.  You guys actually sit down and DECIDE who votes for who?  And then tell the members who they are supposed to vote for?

To my knowledge, the JCP does not employ this strategy.  Yes, PMs are sent, but thats not quite the same thing.

Well, they try Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1067 on: August 17, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »

That was what I thought both the RPP and JCP did. Otherwise you run the risk of members voting largely in support of one candidate over another. I believed the DA to be the only party that did not do that.

I get why DWTL and bgwah are sitting out on this one (Wink ), but is the strategic vote breakdown only done by the RPP?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1068 on: August 17, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »

No one has told, nor will tell, me who to vote for.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1069 on: August 17, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2009, 07:40:43 PM by Sibboleth »

Fascinating to see that Atlasia's right-wing party-of-record is run on "democratic centralist" lines. Quite amusing.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1070 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

Purple State, you didn't seem to notice that I changed the Pacific Lt. Governor rating.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1071 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

Purple State, you didn't seem to notice that I changed the Pacific Lt. Governor rating.

I did. I wasn't aware I needed to comment every time I agree with a rating too. Wink I was more concerned with the lack of "DA Hold" in your Senate rankings though, so that was all I commented on.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1072 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »

I'd say DA hold isn't a 100% sure thing at this point.  Certainly leans that way, but Duke winning spot 5 is about a 25% chance now if Franzl/Afleitch split pretty evenly
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1073 on: August 17, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »

I'd say DA hold isn't a 100% sure thing at this point.  Certainly leans that way, but Duke winning spot 5 is about a 25% chance now if Franzl/Afleitch split pretty evenly

I would say Marokai and Fritz will be 1 and 2. Afleitch gets 3, Rowan/SPC gets 4, and 5 is a big up for grabs between Franzl, Rowan/SPC and Duke.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1074 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

There is about a 0% chance that Rowan and SPC aren't both elected unless the quota exceeds like 18
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies