The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:31:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 172728 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: December 30, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »

End to Protectionism via Social Engineering Act: A Commentary
By: Benconstine

End to Protectionism via Social Engineering Act

1. F.L. 10-2: Protection Act (Textiles, Clothing, Footwear & Steel) is hereby repealed.

2. A tariff of 5% will instead be levied on all imports of foreign textiles, clothing, footwear, & steel.

Sponsor: PiT

This legislation is a good example of how our trade policy should be handled.  Instead of simply handing out a tax cut to corporations that produce the products that are being protected, the Atlasian government will now be able to take in income through a tariff passed on these items.

That is not to say, however, that this legislation is perfect.  In an ideal universe, the tax cuts would be retained, and the tariff would be raised significantly above 5%, to at least 12-15%.  In spite of its flaws, though, this Act is a commendable piece of legislation, and I hope that the Senate will pass, and the President will sign, it as soon as possible.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #401 on: December 30, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Did you count Dibble's vote for tiebreaking votes on propositions or something? I counted the votes and it was a tie in the Freedom of Currency and the Relocation. Does the Governor have a tie-breaking power? Just curiosity.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #402 on: December 30, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »

FTR, Ronnie is not in the Dirty South
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #403 on: December 30, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »

Even so, how does Duke come to the 9 vote total. If Ronnie's and Dibble's votes are excluded, then we only have 8 votes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #404 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:55 AM »

This is quickly turning into Atlasia's Fox News...
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #405 on: December 30, 2008, 01:27:11 AM »

In the past, tied legislation (in the Southeast) was put on the ballot the following month for a re-vote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: December 30, 2008, 01:27:47 AM »

I think its sort of been that all along.  We also have our clueless leftist who we occasionally let speak Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2008, 01:30:14 AM »

I think its sort of been that all along.  We also have our clueless leftist who we occasionally let speak Smiley

Hey  Angry
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »

I somehow doubt that the National Weekly Atlasian has a neoconservative bias.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »

Very true.  I'm the closest thing to a neocon the NWA has.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »

Hardly. I have been staunchly opposed to any foreign intervention since I started the paper. As for a conservative bias, I have tried to be an objective reporter since I started the paper, and have been very welcome to any leftists willing to co-edit it, as my invitation to Xahar demonstrated. However, as of late, more rightists have contributed to the paper than leftists, and prior to recently, this paper was a one-man operation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:13 AM »

Hardly. I have been staunchly opposed to any foreign intervention since I started the paper. As for a conservative bias, I have tried to be an objective reporter since I started the paper, and have been very welcome to any leftists willing to co-edit it, as my invitation to Xahar demonstrated. However, as of late, more rightists have contributed to the paper than leftists, and prior to recently, this paper was a one-man operation.

I'm sure than some of us on the left side would like to help on that newspaper.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »

I'm sure than some of us on the left side would like to help on that newspaper.

Be my guest. Feel free to contribute articles at your convenience.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #413 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

Weak Parties?
By PiT

Following the recent fates of the Populist & KotBP, the SDP has taken a 24-20 registration advantage over the RPP, with the JCP trailing at 16. However, examination of the actual membership of both parties would suggest that not all of those members are what could be considered reliable voters.

On the RPP's side, Dabeav is a chronically inactive member, not having been on since early October. Gporter is in the RPP mainly to serve his own interests. RowanBrandon has not logged on since November 13, except to vote in two elections. As a side note, PBrunsel is not very active currently, due to having a life, but he does vote regularly enough to be considered someone that the RPP can rely on.

For the SDP, ExplodingClowns only has 4 posts to his credit & has not posted since he first registered. Cookies and Milk has not voted or been notably active ever since his failed campaign against then embattled Dirty South Governor AHDuke99. Xahar seems likely to have been banned, though no confirmation has come yet. Ogis24 has appeared to permanently leave the forum, though he was in the SDP for dubious reasons nevertheless. Dr. Cynic has not logged on since early December. Blueswan has not been on either since mid-November.

The JCP has cast off much of its notoriously inactive membership, though Everett & Friz are both noteworthy as being JCPers that have not voted in some time.

Only considering active, reliable partisans, the RPP has a marching strength of 17 (16.5 may be more accurate) while the SDP has 18 active members & the JCP 14 members.

Based on these figures, the JCP stands poised to hold on to its one at-large Senate seat for some time to come. However, whenever the RPP or SDP runs into electoral difficulties, it should come as no mystery why, given that their numbers are not as strong as the DoEA registry suggests.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »

Split in RPP over Bimetalism
by South Park Conservative

After Senator PiT proposed a bill that would put Atlasia back on the gold standard, a few members of the Regional Protection Party, consisting of Vice-President Meeker and disgraced former Governor Constine, have split off from the Regional Protection Party and formed the Silver Regional Protection Party, which advocates bimetalism. No word on whether this is a termporary change, as I suspect, or a permanent one.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #415 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »

No word on whether this is a termporary change, as I suspect, or a permanent one.

Free Silver now, Free Silver tomorrow, Free Silver forever.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »

Split in the RPP? Excellent.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

What happened to the Watchguard, Ben?

The what?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:39 PM »

What happened to the Watchguard, Ben?

I dunno, ask Conor.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #419 on: December 31, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »

How are you here, Xahar?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #420 on: December 31, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »

I dunno what you're talking about.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »

Tomorrow Ushers in New Senate, New Ideas

Tomorrow, as with every odd numbered months first Friday, a new senate will convene.  However, this one looks like it may go down as one of the most fierecly divided, something that is nothing but a plus for Atlasia.  For the first time since the days of DWTL, TN2024, Keystone Phil, BrandonH, and Sam Spade serving together, the right of center will have 5 votes, as well as 3 reliably conservative RPP votes.  While everyone's favorite pointless international protocol adoptor, Jas, will be gone, newcomer SouthParkConservative looks to more than take up the slack.  The Senator-elect has come out swinging with plans to try and revoke over a dozen previous Atlasian laws passed under much more liberal senates.  What this senate will bring remains to be seen, but one thing is for certain, with senators like these it certainly isn't going to be mundane.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2009, 11:11:28 PM by The People's Senator »

While everyone's favorite pointless international protocol adoptor, Jas, will be gone, newcomer SouthParkConservative looks to more than take up the slack.  The Senator-elect has come out swinging with plans to try and revoke over a dozen previous Atlasian laws passed under much more liberal senates.

Thank you for the mention. I will be sure to introduce the bills as soon as I'm sworn in, which might be a little late since I like to sleep in. Right now, I'm set to introduce 15 of my own bills, 1 of Lunar's bills, and 1 of Meeker's bills.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »

I'll of course be doing my best to ensure that Jas' commendable work is not undone.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2009, 11:49:41 PM »

Please look over your Official RPP Handbook again:

Please go away and come back once you've grown up.
---
Actually the last right of center Senate consisted of PBrunsel as well. Sam replaced TN2024 sometime during that period of time.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies