What’s most likely in NY Case - Acquittal or Jail Time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 06:38:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What’s most likely in NY Case - Acquittal or Jail Time?
Acquittal
Jail
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What’s most likely in NY Case - Acquittal or Jail Time?  (Read 704 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2024, 08:24:52 PM »

dspNY
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:36:12 PM »

Neither: Probation
Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 09:36:59 PM »

Both are extremely unlikely.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 10:16:27 PM »

Quite possibly probation on a lesser-included misdemeanor offense.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 10:27:56 PM »

Jail time could be possible not by conviction, but by being held in contempt of court (if Trump continues his attacks on individuals associated with the case in violation of his gag orders).
Randy Marsh
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 10:29:46 PM »

Funnily enough, betting markets have the odds about equal. 16% chance of Trump jail, 18% chance of Trump acquittal or mistrial

One could argue mistrial (hung jury) is far more likely than acquittal though. Especially in Manhattan which voted 80% D
Cyrusman
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 11:28:08 AM »

Funnily enough, betting markets have the odds about equal. 16% chance of Trump jail, 18% chance of Trump acquittal or mistrial

One could argue mistrial (hung jury) is far more likely than acquittal though. Especially in Manhattan which voted 80% D

What is their reasoning for acquittal being so low?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 11:36:32 AM »

Jail time would be excessive for these charges
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 02:38:17 PM »

Jail time would be excessive for these charges

Yeah, I think Trump probably gets fined, but immediately appeals if convicted.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 03:34:22 PM »

What is their reasoning for acquittal being so low?
Probably the fact that he definitely did it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 03:54:13 PM »

Jail, followed by a quick successful appeal. Both Bragg and the judge will want to make an example after all of Trump's antics, but that isn't likely to work out well for them. On to bigger and better cases.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 04:29:03 PM »

I've always figured that his Secret Service detail would help him get sentenced to no worse than probation & house arrest if he's criminally convicted, but with everyday that his demeanor & conduct put his disrespect for the rule of law on full display, he certainly doesn't help his chances at stopping Merchan from taking disrespect for the court into account when deliberating on an appropriate sentence.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 04:52:20 PM »

I'm very skeptical of jail time especially in THIS case where it'd be the lowest grade of felony if convicted and he has no prior record.

Some form of home confinement plus probation would be way likelier. Either way, if he's convicted he won't actually deal with the effects until months from now due to appeals.

(Home confinement to the grounds of Mar a Lago with an ankle monitor would actually be kind of hilarious. Real Napoleon in Elba situation)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 06:13:02 PM »

(Home confinement to the grounds of Mar a Lago with an ankle monitor would actually be kind of hilarious. Real Napoleon in Elba situation)

All the more like Elba if he gets elected and therefore gets to leave and take power again.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 03:16:40 PM »

Jail time could be possible not by conviction, but by being held in contempt of court (if Trump continues his attacks on individuals associated with the case in violation of his gag orders).
Voted jail time on these grounds. Even if it's not really likely.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2024, 04:39:52 AM »

All the more like Elba if he gets elected and therefore gets to leave and take power again.

I don't see why getting elected should somehow get him out of serving any ongoing sentence. He can be President from prison (with the VP exercising any duties he cannot). The President is not a damned "king".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2024, 12:08:21 PM »

I actually voted acquittal
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 12:10:28 PM »

I don't see why getting elected should somehow get him out of serving any ongoing sentence. He can be President from prison (with the VP exercising any duties he cannot). The President is not a damned "king".
The real question is whether Trump’s VP and cabinet would do the right thing and invoke the 25th Amendment for the duration of Trump’s jail sentence in that scenario.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 12:18:38 PM »

Because you think Merchan is very unlikely to impose jail time? (I agree — house arrest is the max sentence I can see.)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 12:29:51 PM »

Right, I think neither acquittal or jail time are particularly likely. I think jail time could only results from Merchan getting so POed at Trump that he lets it affect his decision making, but so far that has not been the case. On the other hand, I think acquittal is an underrated possibility. But conviction or hung jury are still more likely.
Cyrusman
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2024, 12:43:28 PM »

I’m on a legal expert but wouldn’t acquittal just take one of the 12 jurors not voting guilty? If that’s the case how is that not the winner of this question? Doesn’t seem that unlikely to envision a situation where one of twelve votes doesn’t believe he’s guilty.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2024, 12:51:14 PM »

I’m on a legal expert but wouldn’t acquittal just take one of the 12 jurors not voting guilty? If that’s the case how is that not the winner of this question? Doesn’t seem that unlikely to envision a situation where one of twelve votes doesn’t believe he’s guilty.

I recall reading somewhere that one of the biggest errors in discussions about this case is framing it as though Trump is facing a single charge -- he could get not guilty votes on some of the thirty-odd charges, but it's unlikely he'd be acquitted on every charge.  

Then again, I'm not a lawyer nor do I really understand the connections between each of the charges.  And I certainly don't anticipate he'll actually face jail time. 

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2024, 01:03:01 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2024, 01:06:34 PM by emailking »

Acquittal takes all 12 jurors voting not guilty. It seems unlikely because the evidence against Trump looks solid so far and this is definitely not a jury pool full of Trump supporters.

It only takes one juror to cause a hung jury though, a mistrial. This is probably a more likely possibility than outright acquittal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2024, 01:05:19 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that one of the biggest errors in discussions about this case is framing it as though Trump is facing a single charge -- he could get not guilty votes on some of the thirty-odd charges, but it's unlikely he'd be acquitted on every charge.  

Then again, I'm not a lawyer nor do I really understand the connections between each of the charges.  And I certainly don't anticipate he'll actually face jail time.  

The charges are basically all identical but take place on different dates and have different corroborating documents so it's certainly possible there could be mixed verdicts on the various counts, but also very possible (likely?) that there will be a unified verdict on all of them if there is one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2024, 03:55:06 PM »

Jail for Contempt of Court
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies