Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:32:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 20554 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2024, 11:50:33 AM »

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/24156540/israel-palestine-protests-columbia-universities-free-speech

As Columbia law professor David Pozen writes, the university has multiple overlapping disciplinary codes and processes. The most longstanding of these are the Rules of University Conduct. Those rules were established in the wake of the campus protests of 1968 and aimed to maximize students’ expressive freedom and preempt viewpoint discrimination by the administration. When charged for an offense under the Rules of University Conduct, students are afforded representation and other due process rights.

But there is another disciplinary code administered by the CSSI, which was established in 2022 and aims to shield students from discrimination and promote the values of “Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.” The CSSI’s disciplinary process stipulates a broader definition of discriminatory speech than either the Rules of University Conduct or federal civil rights law, while providing the accused with few procedural protections.

As Pozen explained to Vox, the CSSI provides no right to counsel, bars the accused from making opening or closing statements, and allows the administration to add new charges in the middle of the process.

Lol Columbia using DIE to crush the protesters.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2024, 11:54:49 AM »

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/24156540/israel-palestine-protests-columbia-universities-free-speech

As Columbia law professor David Pozen writes, the university has multiple overlapping disciplinary codes and processes. The most longstanding of these are the Rules of University Conduct. Those rules were established in the wake of the campus protests of 1968 and aimed to maximize students’ expressive freedom and preempt viewpoint discrimination by the administration. When charged for an offense under the Rules of University Conduct, students are afforded representation and other due process rights.

But there is another disciplinary code administered by the CSSI, which was established in 2022 and aims to shield students from discrimination and promote the values of “Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.” The CSSI’s disciplinary process stipulates a broader definition of discriminatory speech than either the Rules of University Conduct or federal civil rights law, while providing the accused with few procedural protections.

As Pozen explained to Vox, the CSSI provides no right to counsel, bars the accused from making opening or closing statements, and allows the administration to add new charges in the middle of the process.

Lol Columbia using DIE to crush the protesters.

Actually a great argument against that sort of thing in the first place, and one that will probably give some people pause on it since it's not just right-wing outrage influencer types being targeted now.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »

I'm against all this stuff but it's still hilarious to see it get turned around on them. Which everyone warned them would happen but they dismissed it as "bad faith" and "concern trolling".

Also gotta love Red avs supporting FIRE all of a sudden on page 34.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2024, 12:53:57 PM »

I'm against all this stuff but it's still hilarious to see it get turned around on them. Which everyone warned them would happen but they dismissed it as "bad faith" and "concern trolling".

Also gotta love Red avs supporting FIRE all of a sudden on page 34.

I don't think NYDem ever really had an issue against fire and he's the only red recommend
? Brittain was skeptical of some of the claims.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2024, 04:30:22 PM »

they don't know if they are supposed to be mad that colleges don't allow due process when punishing students.  Most of them don't care when it's just men (often minority men and occasionally a lesbian, but they can overlook that) getting screwed by such things.  We'll have to wait until their handlers tell them which way to think on this issue.  My guess is that it's too confusing and they will mostly ignore it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2024, 05:54:57 PM »

https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/

Willamette Week

Jewish Student at Reed College Struck by Rock a Day After Vandalism of Religious Symbol

An unknown assailant threw the rock through the student’s residence hall window earlier this month.
A Jewish student at Reed College was struck in the head by a rock thrown through the student’s dorm room window on the night of Monday, May 6, according to an email sent to staff and the student body by Reed administration.

The incident came one day after the same student’s mezuzah, a scroll with Torah verses that many Jews affix to their doors, was removed and destroyed, Reed administrators said in the email. That incident occurred on Sunday, May 5. Holocaust Remembrance Day started that day at sundown.

“This is a clear act of antisemitism directed at a student on our campus, and that is unacceptable and unlawful behavior,” Phyllis Esposito, vice president and dean for institutional diversity, and Karnell McConnell-Black, vice president for student life, wrote. “Every Reed student, regardless of their faith, has the right to express their faith tradition through the symbols they display, clothes they wear, and practices they keep.”
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2024, 09:55:10 PM »

As I said earlier Texas is being disgusting on free speech and needs to be sued for what they are doing.

Universities banning people from speaking arabic? Isn't America supposed to be the home of freedom or something like that? Amazing.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #857 on: May 17, 2024, 09:52:14 PM »

As I said earlier Texas is being disgusting on free speech and needs to be sued for what they are doing.

Universities banning people from speaking arabic? Isn't America supposed to be the home of freedom or something like that? Amazing.

You didn't make this argument when people were deplatformed for alleging that we were funding gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

https://oversight.house.gov/release/hearing-wrap-up-nih-repeatedly-refutes-ecohealth-alliance-president-dr-peter-daszaks-testimony-tabak-testimony-reveals-federal-grant-procedures-in-need-of-serious-reform/

Key Hearing Takeaways

NIH Deputy Director and former Acting NIH Director, Dr. Lawrence Tabak, acknowledged that NIH funded gain-of-function research in Wuhan, China.

Dr. Lawrence Tabak repeatedly refuted EcoHealth Alliance President Dr. Peter Daszak’s public and private testimonies. It is now clear that Dr. Daszak misled both the Select Subcommittee and the NIH on numerous occasions.

Serious shortcomings and failures in the NIH’s grant awarding and grant oversight procedures enabled EcoHealth to facilitate gain-of-function research in Wuhan, China. These NIH deficiencies were exploited by Dr. Daszak and his team in an effort to avoid oversight and maintain funding.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) decision to immediately suspend funding and commence debarment proceedings against EcoHealth is backed by substantial evidence and necessary to protect America’s national security.  

The Select Subcommittee also recommends that HHS immediately begin debarment proceedings against Dr. Peter Daszak personally.

The NIH often lacks the necessary subject matter and scientific expertise to ensure U.S. taxpayer funds are spent and overseen safely. Dr. Tabak testified to these gaps in NIH’s system today, and former NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins recounted similar problems during his transcribed interview found here.

The Select Subcommittee’s investigation into EcoHealth’s impropriety is far from over. Chairman Wenstrup appreciates Dr. Tabak’s honesty today and intends to use his testimony to hold EcoHealth accountable for its facilitation of gain-of-function research and its blatant contempt for the American taxpayer.

You support Free Speech only for folks you agree with.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #858 on: May 17, 2024, 10:13:13 PM »

VOX, if anyone on the left still cares about them, I know how you are about canceling entities that don't toe the exact line you want, suddenly remembers that free speech is important
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #859 on: May 18, 2024, 05:27:35 AM »

VOX, if anyone on the left still cares about them, I know how you are about canceling entities that don't toe the exact line you want, suddenly remembers that free speech is important

ROFLMAO

Between Elon Musk buying Twitter and universities crushing the protests, conservatives (and libertarians!!!) are really now having the last laugh in the "free speech" debate. You really don't hear "it's a private company, they can do whatever they want" or "freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" from leftists these days.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #860 on: May 18, 2024, 07:27:34 AM »

Gaza Graduation

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7GZKjvoqpS/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #861 on: May 18, 2024, 07:58:08 AM »

ROFLMAO

Between Elon Musk buying Twitter and universities crushing the protests, conservatives (and libertarians!!!) are really now having the last laugh in the "free speech" debate. You really don't hear "it's a private company, they can do whatever they want" or "freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" from leftists these days.
Most leftist/liberals would say these two events validate their beliefs that the right was engaging in bad faith from the start of these “free speech” and that it was always about defending reactionary/bigoted statements that the right agreed with or at the minimum defended out of political tribalism. I mean it’s pretty hard to argue against that when the guy who acted as the biggest right wing free speech warrior bought twitter and showed his definition of free speech is Nazis freely running around and saying the most openly vile things with no crackdown but people who make fun of Elon personally get kicked off
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #862 on: May 18, 2024, 08:29:32 AM »

Most leftist/liberals would say these two events validate their beliefs that the right was engaging in bad faith from the start of these “free speech” and that it was always about defending reactionary/bigoted statements that the right agreed with or at the minimum defended out of political tribalism. I mean it’s pretty hard to argue against that when the guy who acted as the biggest right wing free speech warrior bought twitter and showed his definition of free speech is Nazis freely running around and saying the most openly vile things with no crackdown but people who make fun of Elon personally get kicked off
yeah, people that only cry "free speech" when allies are getting censored are assholes (Progressives and Conservatives are the leaders of this recently in America), thank Og some of us are always on the right side of the issue, regardless of who is getting censored or doing the censoring.  These issues are easy when one has principles.  <I'm not suggesting you don't>
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #863 on: May 18, 2024, 01:14:11 PM »

Some Harvard students suspended or banned from commencement. Including one Rhodes Scholar whose scholarship may be threatened (although knowing the prevailing atmosphere in the U.K. I’m sure they’ll work it out for him)

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/5/18/harvard-encampment-protesters-suspended/
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #864 on: May 18, 2024, 03:24:26 PM »

they don't know if they are supposed to be mad that colleges don't allow due process when punishing students.  Most of them don't care when it's just men (often minority men and occasionally a lesbian, but they can overlook that) getting screwed by such things.  We'll have to wait until their handlers tell them which way to think on this issue.  My guess is that it's too confusing and they will mostly ignore it.

The left doesn't believe that certain types of "criminals" (and that's in quotes because frequently these guys aren't actually accused of breaking the law) should not be entitled to a fair trial. Sexual misconduct is one, obviously. At the height of the MeToo moral panic you could get fired simply for suggesting that accused men should get a real trial before having their lives ruined. The other big one is any kind of allegation of bigotry, which is the issue here.

I'm opposed to this, obviously, but I find it borderline impossible to feel bad for people who are just now realizing that this is a problem because it's suddenly affecting people they care about.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #865 on: May 18, 2024, 04:22:32 PM »

The left doesn't believe that certain types of "criminals" (and that's in quotes because frequently these guys aren't actually accused of breaking the law) should not be entitled to a fair trial. Sexual misconduct is one, obviously. At the height of the MeToo moral panic you could get fired simply for suggesting that accused men should get a real trial before having their lives ruined. The other big one is any kind of allegation of bigotry, which is the issue here.

I'm opposed to this, obviously, but I find it borderline impossible to feel bad for people who are just now realizing that this is a problem because it's suddenly affecting people they care about.
indeed, and it seems they are choosing the "ignore" option.  Makes sense, these people refuse to learn any lesson ever.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #866 on: May 18, 2024, 05:43:59 PM »

ROFLMAO

I think plenty of people have said this about Twitter/X, specifically people who have voted with their feet and stopped using it. Twitter is still huge obviously but it has shrunk pretty dramatically and is an openly bleeding money wound with a lot of advertisers wanting nothing to do with it.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #867 on: May 18, 2024, 08:11:33 PM »

Most leftist/liberals would say these two events validate their beliefs that the right was engaging in bad faith from the start of these “free speech” and that it was always about defending reactionary/bigoted statements that the right agreed with or at the minimum defended out of political tribalism.

Doesn't that mean they're engaging in bad faith now when they bring up free speech then? If I ran my own university I wouldn't have rules like this about speech but I didn't make the rules at these places, the far left sensitivity police did. Blaming this on "conservatives" is completely baseless. They're just mad that they have to follow their own rules.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #868 on: May 18, 2024, 08:16:44 PM »

Here's an analogy- I'm against the war on drugs, but if a guy who works for the DEA gets caught dealing crack I'm not doing to feel the least bit sorry for him if they throw the book at him. These people decided that anyone who makes any ethnic minority uncomfortable for two seconds has to get cancelled. Well, turns out chanting "intifada" and "there is one solution" makes Jewish people uncomfortable, so I guess they're cancelled now, buh-bye, see you later. I expect everyone to follow their own rules whether I agree with them or not.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #869 on: May 19, 2024, 01:16:43 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2024, 01:30:15 AM by Agafin »

ROFLMAO

I think plenty of people have said this about Twitter/X, specifically people who have voted with their feet and stopped using it. Twitter is still huge obviously but it has shrunk pretty dramatically and is an openly bleeding money wound with a lot of advertisers wanting nothing to do with it.

Twitter usage hasn't dropped dramatically, where are you getting that from? I see still it used just as much as before, just look at this thread (or really any thread in this forum).

ROFLMAO

I honestly feel that this is moreso a case of "when used to privilege, equality feels like oppression". The left isn't censored on twitter, like at all. In fact, when it comes to Israel/Palestine, twitter is easily the mainstream media where you'll find the most pro-Palestinian support after TikTok (and ahead of of the likes of Facebook, Instagram or even reddit). It's just that, since the right isn't censored either, they also have a pretty huge presence on it and the left just doesn't feel like thay should happen.

A good example is to look at any anti-trans tweet made by JK Rowling. You will end up with a similar number of people agreeing and disagreeing with her which is probably just about where the UK population is on the issue. Previously though, anyone agreeing with her would be shadow banned.

About Elon Musk banning people making fun of him, maybe that's true but it's such a drop in the ocean though, like does it even affect a double digit number of people?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #870 on: May 19, 2024, 03:16:04 AM »

ROFLMAO

Twitter usage hasn't dropped dramatically, where are you getting that from? I see still it used just as much as before, just look at this thread (or really any thread in this forum).

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/mar/26/twitter-usage-in-us-fallen-by-a-fifth-since-elon-musks-takeover
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #871 on: May 19, 2024, 07:10:23 AM »

Most leftist/liberals would say these two events validate their beliefs that the right was engaging in bad faith from the start of these “free speech” and that it was always about defending reactionary/bigoted statements that the right agreed with or at the minimum defended out of political tribalism.

Doesn't that mean they're engaging in bad faith now when they bring up free speech then? If I ran my own university I wouldn't have rules like this about speech but I didn't make the rules at these places, the far left sensitivity police did. Blaming this on "conservatives" is completely baseless. They're just mad that they have to follow their own rules.
Since when are banning the speaking of a language been a “swj woke” position?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #872 on: May 19, 2024, 08:58:09 AM »

Since when are banning the speaking of a language been a “swj woke” position?

We still haven’t seen what was behind the claim someone made against a university that it banned students from speaking Arabic and if there was a real policy there. I could speculate that it was an authority figure getting mad that students were chanting slogans in Arabic after being told to stop shouting violent English-language slogans, or maybe two students spoke Arabic to each other during a confrontation with an authority figure who told them not to do that. I have no idea! But I remain skeptical a college campus “banned students from speaking Arabic” seeing the way people regularly mischaracterize situations (e.g., “IDF soldiers used chemical weapons against protesters” was Israeli students enrolled at Columbia using “Liquid Ass” fart spray from Amazon - still wrong but not the same.)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #873 on: May 19, 2024, 07:10:32 PM »

"Idan went to bully the Palestinian students in the tents at UCLA and played the song that they played to the Nukhba terrorists in prison!" - Sharon On-Siboni (Idan Oh's mother)

Idan's mother and father proudly support Israel and defended their son actions at UCLA, saying that he is heading to UCLA to join the IDF.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #874 on: May 19, 2024, 10:35:42 PM »

https://x.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1791629429040443442
Video proof from TX censoring protesters . Obviously they are anti semitic but still.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies