Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 20540 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 01, 2024, 10:23:38 AM »

Assuming most of these protests fail to get their schools to divest from whatever it is they want the schools to divest from, how many students will do the courageous thing and leave?

Is continued attendance at a school that refuses to divest not a tacit endorsement in itself?

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #526 on: May 01, 2024, 10:48:28 AM »

Also at UCLA. So brave. So moral.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #527 on: May 01, 2024, 11:04:28 AM »

Assuming most of these protests fail to get their schools to divest from whatever it is they want the schools to divest from, how many students will do the courageous thing and leave?

Is continued attendance at a school that refuses to divest not a tacit endorsement in itself?

The premise here is where it begins to get ridiculous. Where is the proof that any of these schools are investing in Israel, let alone anything having to do with the war?

Also investing in Israel =/= investing in something related to the war
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #528 on: May 01, 2024, 11:21:28 AM »

Proof this is a real Zionist and not an agent provocateur? I have never personally experienced a Zionist using the n-word.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #529 on: May 01, 2024, 11:25:25 AM »

Nice to see the brave Jewish students at UCLA take things into their own hands after their school failed them so completely.

Any argument you ever make about 'law and order' ever again ----> Out the window.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #530 on: May 01, 2024, 11:27:34 AM »

Proof this is a real Zionist and not an agent provocateur? I have never personally experienced a Zionist using the n-word.

I know that you're trying to be funny, but he's already been identified as the owner of Kaminsky's gym in LA. He has been a hardcore Zionist for at least as long as he has had a presence on Instagram.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #531 on: May 01, 2024, 11:30:00 AM »

My university’s library has been wrecked by these freaks . Thank god I graduated long before all this sh**t really began to go down in the summer of 2020
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #532 on: May 01, 2024, 11:31:30 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 11:35:44 AM by Brittain33 »

I know that you're trying to be funny, but he's already been identified as the owner of Kaminsky's gym in LA. He has been a hardcore Zionist for at least as long as he has had a presence on Instagram.

How do we know that’s his Instagram account? No intelligent business owner would expose himself to that risk. I’m skeptical. What’s the Palestinian version of hasbara? I saw a video clip saying that the link to that person was completely debunked.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #533 on: May 01, 2024, 11:34:11 AM »

Nice to see the brave Jewish students at UCLA take things into their own hands after their school failed them so completely.

Any argument you ever make about 'law and order' ever again ----> Out the window.

We have people whose response to Hamas’s atrocities on October 7 was to whitewash rape as resistance and attribute all cruelty, torture, and murder to Israel who pivoted immediately to asking for a ceasefire and expressing concern about innocent civilians and collective punishment. Shamelessness has never been an obstacle to protesting and fighting for your side.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #534 on: May 01, 2024, 11:40:54 AM »

So Is this an ideological win for the right? They've been calling out colleges and universities as indoctrination camps for a long time now. DEI as a whole has also probably taken a huge beating in public opinion.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2024, 11:43:37 AM »

Defending yourself against a mob when the corrupt authorities refuse to IS law and order.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #536 on: May 01, 2024, 11:44:24 AM »

How do we know that’s his Instagram account? No intelligent business owner would expose himself to that risk. I’m skeptical. What’s the Palestinian version of hasbara? I saw a video clip saying that the link to that person was completely debunked.

They're very good at false-flagging. We just saw this in Australia.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #537 on: May 01, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »

Ugh, Jeet Heer. One of the more dishonest sophists on Twitter when it comes to Jews starting well before October 7. Yes, what's been happening on Columbia's campus is just "legitimate criticism of Israel" and let's ignore both some of the more colorful criticism and the impact such calm moves as (reads notes) occupying a building has on a university before finals and graduation.
Regardless of who Jeet Heer is, or how the protesters at Columbia specifically are behaving, that tweet is 100% accurate
No, it’s just not, and asserting doesn’t make it so. Israeli absolutely should be subject to criticism but the people being arrested at buildings were the same ones releasing statements on October 7 expressing unwavering solidarity with Palestinian resistance and attributing 100% of blame for “unfolding violence” to Israel.

There are no people being arrested at a building(s) in the text or video of the tweet being quoted in the Heer tweet. The video shows an open campus with a police officer beating/slamming a Washington University St Louis professor. There is also mention of SIUE (is this a college or a department?) professor Steve Tamari. The Heer tweet mentions "professors and students" but makes no specific mention of people being arrested at buildings.

“Regardless of Jeet Heer is…” if I went to a UK thread with my Massachusetts avatar and started dropping Piers Morgan tweets to steer the conversation I can guess how well that would be received. Smiley

It doesn't matter if Marjorie Taylor Greene herself tweeted it. It's either accurate or not accurate. Regardless of whether the person tweeting it is trustworthy or a clown. A broken clown is right twice a day.

This is how we got people in the Israel/Gaza thread defending using Jake Shields tweets.

No, some people shouldn't be used to make any assertion that is to be believed.

This is really a disingenuous way to frame what happened in the megathread Ray.

If you go back and read the posts there, the only person was defending using Jake Shields as a source was M.B.D., and the rest of us were asking you about the specific content itself.

I will admit, I didn't know who Jake Shields was until the thread, because again, I don't keep track of every single asshole posting on Twitter.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »

Defending yourself against a mob when the corrupt authorities refuse to IS law and order.

You don't get to go to the "mob", heavy use on air quotes there, and claim you are defending yourself.

Thanks Kyle Rittenhouse.

This post is deranged vigilantism and I thank you for it, cause it's just the real angst y'all have been hiding behind the police.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2024, 11:49:05 AM »

You don't get to go to the "mob", heavy use on air quotes there, and claim you are defending yourself. Thanks Kyle Rittenhouse.

The mob was on the Jewish students' campus, turning it into a Judenrein Maoist microstate. Their civil rights were being violated, the campus authorities were responding with a shrug, and they said enough. The solution to this was not allowing the campus to be turned into a Judenrein Maoist microstate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2024, 11:49:09 AM »

You don't get to go to the "mob", heavy use on air quotes there, and claim you are defending yourself.

Thanks Kyle Rittenhouse.

This post is deranged vigilantism and I thank you for it, cause it's just the real angst y'all have been hiding behind the police.

UCLA’s troubles started with protesters occupying a chunk of campus and turning away Jewish students who didn’t agree with their cause from paths. Solidarity isn’t only for people in keffiyehs.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2024, 12:04:58 PM »

So Is this an ideological win for the right? They've been calling out colleges and universities as indoctrination camps for a long time now. DEI as a whole has also probably taken a huge beating in public opinion.

Except the right is now saying that the left is now using " hate speech" and it must be banned. These calls for a safe space for jews are just a coin flip of whats already been happening.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2024, 12:50:02 PM »

He's clearly not the one who used the n word based on that video.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2024, 12:56:40 PM »

A lot of mean words have been thrown around on all sides, I was more concerned about the spitting part. I would rather get decked in the face by Tyson than spat on.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2024, 01:03:23 PM »

A lot of mean words have been thrown around on all sides, I was more concerned about the spitting part. I would rather get decked in the face by Tyson than spat on.

I mean, I don't agree but that's at least a reasonable concern. It's pretty clear at this point that behavior on all sides has gotten completely out of control, but I put most of that on the initial aggressors and the fecklessness of the campus authorities. As soon as the occupiers started to institute checkpoints, that should have been the end of this.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2024, 01:15:35 PM »

man what?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2024, 01:15:46 PM »

Clashes between rival groups are a natural consequence of not upholding the rules against clearly partisan agitators. Protestors are not protesting the administration. They are protesting their classmates, and are only angry with the Administration insofar as it is perceived as favoring them. Pretending the same self-defense right doesn't apply to people who disagree with any protest, especially when violent or not, it intends to inflict harm upon them, is absurd.

This goes back to the post that got me dunked on. In a world in which policy is zero-sum, a minority engaged in the use of force, which a disruptive protest is, is directly engaged in aggression. Maybe the people they are targeting are in the wrong, and maybe they are in the right, but if you view the world not as right and wrong, but as different interests - which btw is a Marxist worldview - then those they are targeting are not only justified in resisting them, but obligated to do so.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2024, 01:20:45 PM »

Uh come on now. Being spat on is disgusting but being decked by Tyson in the face can seriously incapacitate you.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2024, 01:31:00 PM »

man what?

Spewing your bodily fluids all over a person without their consent is more dehumanizing than punching them.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2024, 01:36:32 PM »

In a “fun” coda to the starving PhD student who demanded that Columbia protect her human right to receive DoorDash deliveries, she’s apparently a big fan of Trump and his funny anti-Biden ads too.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies