Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:09:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 20568 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2024, 06:29:22 AM »

Ugh, Jeet Heer. One of the more dishonest sophists on Twitter when it comes to Jews starting well before October 7. Yes, what's been happening on Columbia's campus is just "legitimate criticism of Israel" and let's ignore both some of the more colorful criticism and the impact such calm moves as (reads notes) occupying a building has on a university before finals and graduation.

Regardless of who Jeet Heer is, or how the protesters at Columbia specifically are behaving, that tweet is 100% accurate

No, it’s just not, and asserting doesn’t make it so. Israeli absolutely should be subject to criticism but the people being arrested at buildings were the same ones releasing statements on October 7 expressing unwavering solidarity with Palestinian resistance and attributing 100% of blame for “unfolding violence” to Israel. There has been deliberate conflation between understandable anger and despair at the ongoing suffering of Gazans and West Bank Palestinians at the hands of Israel and its quasi-fascist leaders and a movement to completely delegitimize the state of Israel “from the River to the Sea” with “Intifada Revolution” 60-80 years after the Arab world happily dumped 800,000 Jewish refugees there along with the Holocaust survivors Eastern Europe booted out, too. The Overton window for legitimate criticism of Israel in the UK is significantly off from what it is in the U.S. and they aren’t dragging ours over.

Yes, some leaders like Gov. Abbott are abusing the situation to score points but what is obvious is people portraying these protests as what they want them to be rather in an ideal world. I’ll see you Greg Abbott and raise you Diane Abbott.

“Regardless of Jeet Heer is…” if I went to a UK thread with my Massachusetts avatar and started dropping Piers Morgan tweets to steer the conversation I can guess how well that would be received. Smiley
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2024, 06:47:36 AM »

Ugh, Jeet Heer. One of the more dishonest sophists on Twitter when it comes to Jews starting well before October 7. Yes, what's been happening on Columbia's campus is just "legitimate criticism of Israel" and let's ignore both some of the more colorful criticism and the impact such calm moves as (reads notes) occupying a building has on a university before finals and graduation.
Regardless of who Jeet Heer is, or how the protesters at Columbia specifically are behaving, that tweet is 100% accurate
No, it’s just not, and asserting doesn’t make it so. Israeli absolutely should be subject to criticism but the people being arrested at buildings were the same ones releasing statements on October 7 expressing unwavering solidarity with Palestinian resistance and attributing 100% of blame for “unfolding violence” to Israel.

There are no people being arrested at a building(s) in the text or video of the tweet being quoted in the Heer tweet. The video shows an open campus with a police officer beating/slamming a Washington University St Louis professor. There is also mention of SIUE (is this a college or a department?) professor Steve Tamari. The Heer tweet mentions "professors and students" but makes no specific mention of people being arrested at buildings.

“Regardless of Jeet Heer is…” if I went to a UK thread with my Massachusetts avatar and started dropping Piers Morgan tweets to steer the conversation I can guess how well that would be received. Smiley

It doesn't matter if Marjorie Taylor Greene herself tweeted it. It's either accurate or not accurate. Regardless of whether the person tweeting it is trustworthy or a clown. A broken clown is right twice a day.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2024, 07:07:16 AM »

I have a bad feeling that these protests are only going to get worse. Democrats should have never paid lip service to the pro Palestinian side. It is an absolute must that the police put down these protests as soon as possible. Without an effective police presence on these campuses, right wing paramilitary groups could see this as a call to establish “order.”  Let’s not pretend like the right wing media hasn’t priming these people to take violent action against left wing protestors ever since Kenosha.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2024, 07:11:03 AM »

Democrats should have never paid lip service to the pro Palestinian side.

Should they have said nothing when Israel dropped bombs on Palestinian women and children and blockaded food from entering Gaza and killed tens of thousands of Palestinians in what has been commonly described by many as an ethnic cleansing?

Why would that have been a better course of action?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2024, 07:13:08 AM »

I hate that I have to root for the protests ending, since if they continue at this intensity Trump will likely win. But what Israel's doing in Palestine just isn't right.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #505 on: May 01, 2024, 07:15:40 AM »

Robert De Niro.

Not...Happy...Jan

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6bNOc3N3E9/
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2024, 07:26:03 AM »

I hate that I have to root for the protests ending, since if they continue at this intensity Trump will likely win. But what Israel's doing in Palestine just isn't right.

Joe Biden losing reelection to Donald Trump out of not having enough solidarity for Palestine would be quite epic, though also very tragic. USA choosing Israel over USA itself, condemning itself.

Electorally speaking, I would wait to get closer to election in order to recognize the State of Palestine - like, a month or two before the vote - and get to calm the youth so that other issues can get protagonist focus for the election.

I think a lot of Biden’s alignment on giving full Carte Blanche to Israel might come from an ideological or even strategic mindset though, so it would be an extremely positive surprise if that happened (Biden recognizing Palestinian Statehood) as I think it’s unlikely.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #507 on: May 01, 2024, 07:37:31 AM »

Did you see this one? Shortly before the NYPD went into Hamilton Hall, this Columbia protester was demanding that the university provide the students with "humanitarian aid":

Well now that seems disingenuous. If you watch the video the student states clearly they're not asking the school to provide anything they just want a commitment that the school will not stop them from bringing it in themselves.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #508 on: May 01, 2024, 07:41:16 AM »

It doesn't matter if Marjorie Taylor Greene herself tweeted it. It's either accurate or not accurate. Regardless of whether the person tweeting it is trustworthy or a clown. A broken clown is right twice a day.

Jeet Heer is clearly framing the incident as part of a larger question which is not about one clip in one university which I’m taking issues with and this is exactly what I’m taking issue with as sophistry.

It’s really no different from showing a clip of one of the Hamas fans at one of these protests and then shaking your head at the pervasive anti-Semitism of people protesting. “But he’s literally wearing a Hamas headband!” doesn’t make the larger framing less tendentious. (Note - some people here do use pics like that to claim pervasive anti-Semitism among students! Think how that makes you feel.)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #509 on: May 01, 2024, 07:43:41 AM »

Them wearing those stupid scarfs are so performative.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 07:49:14 AM by afleitch »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2024, 07:54:42 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 08:12:38 AM by Brittain33 »

Why am I reminded of this

https://www.theonion.com/fox-defends-airing-of-when-jews-attack-1819564254

LOS ANGELES—In the face of widespread public outcry, Fox TV executives spoke out Monday in defense of last week's airing of When Jews Attack.

The hour-long, Robert Urich-hosted show—which its detractors are decrying as "shock TV at its basest" and "a sickening appeal to voyeuristic, lowest-common denominator tendencies"—features explicit, uncensored video footage of enraged Jews violently striking out at others.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2024, 08:03:39 AM »

No, it’s just not, and asserting doesn’t make it so. Israeli absolutely should be subject to criticism but the people being arrested at buildings were the same ones releasing statements on October 7 expressing unwavering solidarity with Palestinian resistance and attributing 100% of blame for “unfolding violence” to Israel.

There are no people being arrested at a building(s) in the text or video of the tweet being quoted in the Heer tweet. The video shows an open campus with a police officer beating/slamming a Washington University St Louis professor. There is also mention of SIUE (is this a college or a department?) professor Steve Tamari. The Heer tweet mentions "professors and students" but makes no specific mention of people being arrested at buildings.

This is how we got people in the Israel/Gaza thread defending using Jake Shields tweets.

No, some people shouldn't be used to make any assertion that is to be believed.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2024, 08:13:04 AM »

This is how we got people in the Israel/Gaza thread defending using Jake Shields tweets.

If the person tweeting is providing information, then depending on who the person is, some people should not be trusted. I am in 100% agreement with you on that.

If the person tweeting is simply providing a take, and not offering any new information (or "information"), then the take itself can be judged on it's own merits, regardless of who the person providing the take is.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #514 on: May 01, 2024, 08:15:14 AM »

At the end of the day, this entire thing has become about more than Gaza/Palestine. It's all about each side being performative at this point. They've all lost the plot.

It's crazy to me though that online leftists are defending the breaking into buildings, smashing windows, etc. and calling them 'peaceful protesters' - a spade is a spade. Let's not be delusional like the far right is most of the time.

These movements continue to be taken over by extremists on both sides, and most of the time, views far away from the average person. The average person probably cares about the people in Palestine but thinks most of these protests are idiotic and performative and childish.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #515 on: May 01, 2024, 08:15:50 AM »

Did you see this one? Shortly before the NYPD went into Hamilton Hall, this Columbia protester was demanding that the university provide the students with "humanitarian aid":

Well now that seems disingenuous. If you watch the video the student states clearly they're not asking the school to provide anything they just want a commitment that the school will not stop them from bringing it in themselves.

The description is clearly mocking beyond what she actually said BUT the way she talked about their entitlement to their meal plan and whether Columbia is respecting them as part of a community shows she really has no sense of what norms she and her allies were breaking in occupying a building and how unrealistic they were in expecting the university not to use reasonable leverage to get them out. They weren’t entitled to get deliveries of food while illegally occupying a building!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #516 on: May 01, 2024, 08:17:13 AM »

If the person tweeting is providing information, then depending on who the person is, some people should not be trusted. I am in 100% agreement with you on that.

If the person tweeting is simply providing a take, and not offering any new information (or "information"), then the take itself can be judged on it's own merits, regardless of who the person providing the take is.

If Jake Shields or Piers Morgan provides a “take”, it’s not just reasonable, it’s responsible to consider their perspective and framing and the history of their takes. That’s what separates a public personality from a rando.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2024, 08:29:47 AM »

From what I hear through the weeds in the higher education world in California, ( I have connections.), the UC and CSU Systems are extrmeley hesitant to use police force because they fear the optics.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #518 on: May 01, 2024, 08:43:46 AM »

If Jake Shields or Piers Morgan provides a “take”, it’s not just reasonable, it’s responsible to consider their perspective and framing and the history of their takes. That’s what separates a public personality from a rando.

Sometimes bad people have good takes. If you can't admit that, then there's no point engaging further with you on this topic.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #519 on: May 01, 2024, 08:46:23 AM »

Sometimes bad people have good takes. If you can't admit that, then there's no point engaging further with you on this topic.

Well we’re clearly not getting through to each other, so I can agree on that.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2024, 08:55:27 AM »

I don't know if this can be verified. But according to my sister who attends Sac State, the Protests at Sac State are in a civil war type of situation now.

The interlopers as she callss it, who are mostly white and rich, have been harassing the Palestinian protesters, and kicing the protesters out of the encampments for not " following " the program. And they're harassing the Gaza Refugees, as well as other students. The palestinian students are pissed, and ironically want the police to intervene, but Sac State Police are hesitant to intervene because of optics.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2024, 09:54:27 AM »

Nice to see the brave Jewish students at UCLA take things into their own hands after their school failed them so completely.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2024, 10:04:34 AM »

Nice to see the brave Jewish students at UCLA take things into their own hands after their school failed them so completely.

"You stand no chance old lady!" - Brave Jewish student at UCLA
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #523 on: May 01, 2024, 10:08:02 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 10:12:47 AM by 🦀🎂🦀🎂 »

Them wearing those stupid scarfs are so performative.

Wow being performative? At a protest? I haven't been this shocked since I found a fork in the kitchen.

Like, who honestly cares whether a protest is performative (beyond mad direct action types who want every protest to begin with lobbing molotov cocktails at police cars)?

And im reality given many of these people will be doxxed and lose their prestigious and lucrative positions at elite institutions, these are probably less performative than most. (Regardless of what one thinks about the wiseness of these protests).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #524 on: May 01, 2024, 10:10:36 AM »

"You stand no chance old lady!" - Brave Jewish student at UCLA

Oh no, the criminals who beat a Jewish girl unconscious earlier in the day and literally set up checkpoints on campus to keep “Zionists” ( Wink ) out are getting yelled at and called “old ladies”? That’s so sad.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies