Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:16:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 20549 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2024, 10:30:36 PM »

Listening to a student right now who managed to leave and said she's at home now; and wasn't involved in any of the protests, but as the police were going dorm by dorm the journalist at NBC said that students were overwhelming against the police and shouting in support of their fellow students who were barricaded.

Also said that, as far a she saw in group chats, among students, etc that the mood even among students who were formerly not involved and not taking a side is that the administration and NYPD are making things worse and that there's a very strong movement to not have their fellow students punished in any way, let alone brutalized as they were today.

This won't be over with the encampments removal, that much is clear.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2024, 10:35:31 PM »

Anti-Semitism is the primary motive for these protesters in 2024

You're delusional.

It absolutely is the primary motive for the lead protesters. All these head protesters were certainly involved on leading protests on October 7th/8th and the only reason for any protest then is to support Hamas .
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2024, 10:49:35 PM »

So, the Columbia Comic-Con is over?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2024, 10:49:55 PM »

Feel free to fact check me on this, but this really is not a good look.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2024, 11:01:22 PM »

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/news/2024/04/30/dozens-occupy-hamilton-hall-as-pro-palestinian-protests-spread-across-campus/

A Facilities worker who was in the building exited the building at around 12:40 a.m., after shouting at the protesters occupying the Hamilton lobby to let him leave. As he left Hamilton, he yelled at the crowd, “They held me hostage.”

Protesters removed the barricades blocking one door at 1:10 a.m., allowing several individuals who had remained inside Hamilton—including at least three Facilities workers, according to a source inside the building—to leave. Afterward, the protesters immediately relocked the door.

Honestly one thing to note about this, is that this was a janitor. I don't fully trust counter protesters or other students who have just as much of a reason to be ideological and lie about the situation but this janitor was just a normie who wanted to get home. Why would he lie here? It might be a bit of an exaggeration but the dude is pretty much the closest you can get to apolitical in Columbia.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #480 on: April 30, 2024, 11:16:08 PM »

Based Fraternity Bros

Truly incredible. I miss the chaotic 4 years I spent on that campus. Some things never change
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #481 on: April 30, 2024, 11:23:43 PM »

Many students at these elite institutions (one of which I attended) think they are profoundly entitled. The echo chamber of leftism and, frankly, Marxism within these institutions has resulted in a populace that is sorely incapable of defending their sometimes indefensible positions. These students have been told for decades that they are brilliant, gifted, and special. They expect others to treat them as such and believe that because of their intellectual achievements in high school and college, all of their options are worthy of belief.

They feel they are entitled to activism within its consequences. They think themselves brave but lack a cause worthy of their passion. It is, in fact, extremely depressing to watch. Young minds are being utterly rotted by the poison that has infected our higher education systems, our media, and weak willed leaders in power.

All of this at Columbia was avoidable. The blame rests on the protestors for breaking laws while claiming they are entitled to anger, violence, hate speech, and a prestigious education with a fat paycheck upon graduation. Even more so though, the blame must rest on those in power who have perpetuated this culture, accepted those students that do not deserve it on grounds of woke-ideology and progressive accolades, and parents who refuse to raise children to love this country, despite its flaws. The crisis of patriotism has led to decline across institutions because the leaders of our institutions perpetuate the rot. I hope this is a wake up call. I doubt it will be. I pray I am wrong.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #482 on: April 30, 2024, 11:25:10 PM »

Many students at these elite institutions (one of which I attended) think they are profoundly entitled. The echo chamber of leftism and, frankly, Marxism within these institutions has resulted in a populace that is sorely incapable of defending their sometimes indefensible positions. These students have been told for decades that they are brilliant, gifted, and special. They expect others to treat them as such and believe that because of their intellectual achievements in high school and college, all of their options are worthy of belief.

They feel they are entitled to activism within its consequences. They think themselves brave but lack a cause worthy of their passion. It is, in fact, extremely depressing to watch. Young minds are being utterly rotted by the poison that has infected our higher education systems, our media, and weak willed leaders in power.

All of this at Columbia was avoidable. The blame rests on the protestors for breaking laws while claiming they are entitled to anger, violence, hate speech, and a prestigious education with a fat paycheck upon graduation. Even more so though, the blame must rest on those in power who have perpetuated this culture, accepted those students that do not deserve it on grounds of woke-ideology and progressive accolades, and parents who refuse to raise children to love this country, despite its flaws. The crisis of patriotism has led to decline across institutions because the leaders of our institutions perpetuate the rot. I hope this is a wake up call. I doubt it will be. I pray I am wrong.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #483 on: April 30, 2024, 11:26:57 PM »

Sir, this is a Wendy's.
LMAO fair. I started ranting. I'm right tho....
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #484 on: April 30, 2024, 11:35:34 PM »

The fact-check would be that Eli Valley cannot be trusted under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems on the internet today is that too many people are lying for profit.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #485 on: April 30, 2024, 11:39:10 PM »

The fact-check would be that Eli Valley cannot be trusted under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems on the internet today is that too many people are lying for profit.

I have found some other sources corroborating this though.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #486 on: April 30, 2024, 11:45:53 PM »

I have found some other sources corroborating this though.

I'm not seeing much, but "Stay in place during an ongoing operation" is a pretty standard demand for police officers. I doubt they want to arrest the dean, that's for sure.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #487 on: April 30, 2024, 11:54:25 PM »

The irony is; and what makes things so ironic; the actual Palestinians might not be in favor of extreme measures of protest after all; albeit still very supportive of Palestine.

From what i hear from my sister at Sac State, it seems as if many of these protests are not actually for Palestinian independence at all, and are being hijacked.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #488 on: May 01, 2024, 03:26:28 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 03:34:30 AM by No War, but the War on Christmas »

Fascist counterprotestors, dressed every bit like proud boys, and old white men who absolutely aren't students or faculty, are attacking the administration-allowed encampment at UCLA right now.

The reason why I specifically mention 'old white men' is because some geezers were leading a contingent of younger guys in flipping off the encampment, throwing things at them, ripping apart the umbrella's they're using to stop the projectiles, etc.

Horrible, horrible sight.

Someone just tried to step in between, we'll see how that goes. Active situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3bAl2VshnA
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #489 on: May 01, 2024, 03:28:09 AM »

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: May 01, 2024, 03:50:14 AM »

The governor should call in the national guard

Because that worked out so well in Ohio.

That’s not the only example . It worked out great in California for example

People who take life lessons from a man who sold weapons to Iran to fund authoritarian paramilitaries ought to take a good, hard look at themselves.

You do realize Iran was under invasion from a genocidal dictator, right? That it was basically the Ukraine of it’s time?

Why was given weapons to them to defend themselves bad?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #491 on: May 01, 2024, 03:58:58 AM »

People who take life lessons from a man who sold weapons to Iran to fund authoritarian paramilitaries ought to take a good, hard look at themselves.

You do realize Iran was under invasion from a genocidal dictator, right? That it was basically the Ukraine of it’s time?

Reagan and Rumsfeld also armed Iraq.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #492 on: May 01, 2024, 04:18:39 AM »

Did you see this one? Shortly before the NYPD went into Hamilton Hall, this Columbia protester was demanding that the university provide the students with "humanitarian aid":

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #493 on: May 01, 2024, 04:19:01 AM »

Reagan and Rumsfeld also armed Iraq.

Yeah, because both sides sucked, lol. We couldn’t make them both lose, but we could make them come pretty close to it.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #494 on: May 01, 2024, 04:34:00 AM »

Fascist counterprotestors, dressed every bit like proud boys, and old white men who absolutely aren't students or faculty, are attacking the administration-allowed encampment at UCLA right now.

Horrible, horrible sight.

Someone just tried to step in between, we'll see how that goes. Active situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3bAl2VshnA

Not true. The UCLA has called the encampment unlawful. Not very hard to fact-check. Regardless, something's very wrong with the LA police, because it's a failure of law enforcement for them not to be anywhere in sight while this is unfolding and making national news.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #495 on: May 01, 2024, 05:59:59 AM »

Ugh, Jeet Heer. One of the more dishonest sophists on Twitter when it comes to Jews starting well before October 7. Yes, what's been happening on Columbia's campus is just "legitimate criticism of Israel" and let's ignore both some of the more colorful criticism and the impact such calm moves as (reads notes) occupying a building has on a university before finals and graduation.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2024, 06:09:55 AM »

Just here to say, no matter what you're protesting for, stay on the good side and don't allow violence. Protestors and counter-protestors alike, keep it civil...

In my humble opinion, resorting to violence is generally not a good thing for whatever cause you're fighting for and hurts you in the eyes of many.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #497 on: May 01, 2024, 06:10:49 AM »

Democrat indecisiveness leads to vigilantism and increased violence; color me shocked.

It's almost like these people put America through this every 3 years now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2024, 06:14:45 AM »

Did you see this one? Shortly before the NYPD went into Hamilton Hall, this Columbia protester was demanding that the university provide the students with "humanitarian aid":

these poor children, the guy in the back can't even afford clothes that fit him.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2024, 06:22:17 AM »

Ugh, Jeet Heer. One of the more dishonest sophists on Twitter when it comes to Jews starting well before October 7. Yes, what's been happening on Columbia's campus is just "legitimate criticism of Israel" and let's ignore both some of the more colorful criticism and the impact such calm moves as (reads notes) occupying a building has on a university before finals and graduation.

Regardless of who Jeet Heer is, or how the protesters at Columbia specifically are behaving, that tweet is 100% accurate and relevant to the state of affairs in the USA right now. Nothing you said discredited the content of the actual tweet. People keep moving the conversation away from it, but the fact is, the American (and basically the entire western) establishment will defend Israel's war crimes and let the Palestinian bodies pile up and sleep soundly and comfortably at night.

Decent moral people who are paying attention are always going to oppose that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies