New York Times; Senator J.D. Vance's opinion piece: "The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:11:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York Times; Senator J.D. Vance's opinion piece: "The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New York Times; Senator J.D. Vance's opinion piece: "The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up"  (Read 741 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2024, 07:10:12 AM »

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/opinion/jd-vance-ukraine.html

Ukraine’s challenge is not the G.O.P.; it’s math. Ukraine needs more soldiers than it can field, even with draconian conscription policies. And it needs more matériel than the United States can provide. This reality must inform any future Ukraine policy, from further congressional aid to the diplomatic course set by the president.
The most fundamental question: How much does Ukraine need and how much can we actually provide? Mr. Biden suggests that a $60 billion supplemental means the difference between victory and defeat in a major war between Russia and Ukraine. That is also wrong.  This $60 billion is a fraction of what it would take to turn the tide in Ukraine’s favor. But this is not just a matter of dollars. Fundamentally, we lack the capacity to manufacture the amount of weapons Ukraine needs us to supply to win the war.
..We’ve roughly doubled our capacity and can now produce 360,000 per year — less than a tenth of what Ukraine says it needs. The administration’s goal is to get this to 1.2 million — 30 percent of what’s needed — by the end of 2025. This would cost the American taxpayers dearly while yielding an unpleasantly familiar result: failure abroad.
Proponents of American aid to Ukraine have argued that our approach has been a boon to our own economy, creating jobs here in the factories that manufacture weapons. But our national security interests can be — and often are — separate from our economic interests. The notion that we should prolong a bloody and gruesome war because it’s been good for American business is grotesque. We can and should rebuild our industrial base without shipping its products to a foreign conflict.
If that sounds bad, Ukraine’s manpower situation is even worse. Here are the basics: Russia has nearly four times the population of Ukraine. Ukraine needs upward of half a million new recruits, but hundreds of thousands of fighting-age men have already fled the country. The average Ukrainian soldier is roughly 43 years old, and many soldiers have already served two years at the front with few, if any, opportunities to stop fighting. After two years of conflict, there are some villages with almost no men left. The Ukrainian military has resorted to coercing men into service, and women have staged protests to demand the return of their husbands and fathers after long years of service at the front. This newspaper reported one instance in which the Ukrainian military attempted to conscript a man with a diagnosed mental disability.
Many in Washington seem to think that hundreds of thousands of young Ukrainians have gone to war with a song in their heart and are happy to label any thought to the contrary Russian propaganda. But major newspapers on both sides of the Atlantic are reporting that the situation on the ground in Ukraine is grim.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 07:20:47 AM »

He's not wrong!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 07:21:04 AM »

JD Vance is a disgusting, evil man.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 07:22:53 AM »

No idea what is and isn't true here, but Vance is a virtueless bad faith traitor and liar. If there are valid points here, I'm willing to hear them discussed and considered in good faith. Knowing Vance and Woody, I'm going to assume this is most likely bad faith horses__t.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 07:24:06 AM »

Disgusting of the NYT to run a pro-Putin propaganda piece under the guise of "diversity of opinion", but then again what can you expect from the newspaper that downplayed Nazi atrocities in order to appear more balanced.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 07:24:48 AM »

Last time I checked JD Vance is not a military expert. If he wants so badly Russia to win he can always resign from the senate (where he does nothing anyway) and go fight as a volunteer for the Russian army.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 07:36:00 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2024, 07:46:24 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Except he is on a ton of topics. The stuff involving the average age was due to Ukraine not wanting to moblize it’s youth for economic reasons that Vance and OP want to trollishly misinterpret as all of Ukraine’s youth has been wiped out when that’s not true at all and most actually reports from inside Ukraine know this. With the EU pledging more economic support and guarantees of integration post-war they’re able to mobilize more. When it comes to the actual ability to produce and he’s once again lying, we have not reached our max production levels when it comes to aid. Case in point, Zelensky said that Ukraine will need about 25 patriot ad systems to protect their country from Russia airstrikes. The usual suspects came out to call this an impossible request and then Raytheon came out and said they can meet this demand in about little over a year if the orders are placed. Not to mention the fact the the EU is increasing its ammo production at rates trolls like Vance said they couldn’t. Also the worst part here is the last part as all the reports about low Ukrainians moral is about US CUTTING OFF AID! Like a disgusting troll he’s using the fact that Ukraine is bummed out about what he and his party as done as evidence to keep doing it
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:44:59 AM »

Except he is on a ton of topics. The stuff involving the average age was due to Ukraine not wanting to moblize it’s youth for economic reasons that Vance and OP want to trollishly misinterpret as all of Ukraine’s youth has been wiped out when that’s not true at all and most actually reports from inside Ukraine know this. With the EU pledging more economic support and guarantees of integration post-war they’re able to mobilize more. Also the worst part here is the last part as all the reports about low Ukrainians moral is about US CUTTING OFF AID! Like a disgusting troll he’s using the fact that Ukraine is bummed out about what he and his party as done as evidence to keep doing it

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 07:49:05 AM »

Except he is on a ton of topics. The stuff involving the average age was due to Ukraine not wanting to moblize it’s youth for economic reasons that Vance and OP want to trollishly misinterpret as all of Ukraine’s youth has been wiped out when that’s not true at all and most actually reports from inside Ukraine know this. With the EU pledging more economic support and guarantees of integration post-war they’re able to mobilize more. Also the worst part here is the last part as all the reports about low Ukrainians moral is about US CUTTING OFF AID! Like a disgusting troll he’s using the fact that Ukraine is bummed out about what he and his party as done as evidence to keep doing it

Thanks for not actually refuting my point but relying on trolling tactics, vatnik.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 07:50:15 AM »

Yes we know you vatniks want to MAWA (Make America Weak Again) like during the Trump years and MRGA (Make Russia Great Again). Disgusting, stop being against America.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 08:01:39 AM »

Yet Republicans will continue to insist the New York Times is a brazenly partisan Democratic rag, even as they print garbage like this over and over.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 08:17:43 AM »

And he supports Israel at the same time ?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 08:38:00 AM »

Woodbury threaf
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 10:23:04 AM »

JD Vance only won due to DeWine that's why Rs aren't winning OH this time no DeWine he is a Maga hack
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 10:28:04 AM »

Nah, he couldn't be more wrong. Ukraine is the best use of our bloated defense budget in decades.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 10:29:26 AM »

Yet Republicans will continue to insist the New York Times is a brazenly partisan Democratic rag, even as they print garbage like this over and over.

Do you not understand what an op-ed is?  It appears opposite the editorial page, LOL
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 12:05:29 PM »

My initial post was rather flippant. Let me respond more thoughtfully, then.

Except he is on a ton of topics. The stuff involving the average age was due to Ukraine not wanting to moblize it’s youth for economic reasons that Vance and OP want to trollishly misinterpret as all of Ukraine’s youth has been wiped out when that’s not true at all and most actually reports from inside Ukraine know this. With the EU pledging more economic support and guarantees of integration post-war they’re able to mobilize more.

I have not seen the claim that Ukrainian fighting-aged men have been "wiped out," but it is true that this generation has suffered grievous casualties over the past two years. Those men who have survived two years on the front are ready to return home, and many of their families have been pressuring the government to fix a length to the terms of conscription. No wonder, then, that potentially draftable Ukrainian men are weary of signing up for a deployment which may be extended indefinitely.

As you argue, these problems may well be solvable. The question is, to what end? Is it possible for Ukraine to win this war? I do not believe so. If I did, I would recoil at Vance's article just as you do. However, I believe a careful analysis of the participants, their strengths and their interests, indicates that Russia will ultimately prevail in its war aims. The main question is one of timing. The longer the west provides Ukraine with military aide, the longer the front lines will stay stagnant. And with every day the war drags on, more casualties pile up.

I cannot in good conscience argue for a course of action which will result in more Ukrainian deaths. Not when I know in my heart of hearts that American aid will eventually end. And not just because of the obstructionism of the new, isolationist wing of the Republican Party. American military interventions always have a shelf life. If that statement feels hard to swallow, consider two recent reversals of American foreign policy which were catastrophic for our erstwhile allies.

In 2019, Donald Trump gave the go-ahead to Turkey to invade the territory of Afrin in northwestern Syria. Afrin was controlled by the SDF, a front organization for the Syrian Kurdish YPG who had been our main allies in the fight against ISIS. Turkey considers the YPG a terrorist organization, as they are allied with the PKK, a Kurdish separatist group based in eastern Turkey which has attacked Turkish military and civilian targets over the past several decades. The reconquest of territory from ISIS, desert land taken primarily by YPG steel and blood, was finished by 2018. The next year, the Trump administration threw them to the Turkish wolves.

In 2021, Joe Biden ordered the complete withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan. As well all know, the United States had occupied Afghanistan for exactly two decades. In that time, the US had conducted military operations against the Taliban, the native Pashtun Islamist movement which claimed sovereignty over Afghanistan. The US had also built up a secular Afghani government, trained its bureaucracy and oversaw the creation of a fledgling Afghani civil society, replete with new rights for Afghani women. The sudden American withdrawal reversed all of this, allowing the Taliban to quickly reconquer the country and condemning that secular Afghani society to a terrible fate (as befits "foreign collaborators" if you buy the Taliban's formulation).

Thus, in a two year span, two key US allies learned the fickleness of US support. I fear Ukraine will inevitably learn the same lesson--even if this aid package goes through, even if aid continues to flow for two more years. Eventually the US public will tire of spending X amount of money annually supporting Ukraine. That is the cold, hard truth. Putin and the Russian government are aware of US fickleness. They know US support will not go forever. It may stretch on for twenty years like the US commitment in Afghanistan. Eventually though, enough elections will go by that the American public will forget why they felt it was so important to back Ukraine. And American politicians, weathervanes that they are, will leave the Ukrainian people out to dry.

Russia, on the other hand, views Ukraine as a "core interest," to use the dry diplomatic parlance. As an analogy, consider Cuba and the United States. Consider just how long the US has embargoed and sanctioned Cuba. Consider the length of the assassination programs and other black-ops. Russia's interest in Ukraine is comparable. They have a will to persist which outmatches that of the west, and they have the industrial and manpower resources to smother Ukraine. Russia can play the long game. Ukraine cannot.

This is why the entire debate over Ukraine aid sickens me and makes me want to fire off one-liners like in my original post. I believe those westerners who support continuing to aid Ukraine have the best of intentions. Yet, knowing what I know about the US's track record, I can only see more Ukraine aid leading to more Ukrainian deaths. And worst of all, these additional deaths will gain Ukraine nothing. The only solution is a negotiated peace. The sooner, the better.

When it comes to the actual ability to produce and he’s once again lying, we have not reached our max production levels when it comes to aid. Case in point, Zelensky said that Ukraine will need about 25 patriot ad systems to protect their country from Russia airstrikes. The usual suspects came out to call this an impossible request and then Raytheon came out and said they can meet this demand in about little over a year if the orders are placed. Not to mention the fact the the EU is increasing its ammo production at rates trolls like Vance said they couldn’t. Also the worst part here is the last part as all the reports about low Ukrainians moral is about US CUTTING OFF AID! Like a disgusting troll he’s using the fact that Ukraine is bummed out about what he and his party as done as evidence to keep doing it

I read Vance's statements on US production capability differently. It seems to me that he is arguing that the current war economy industrial policy is not the most beneficial for Americans. This quote which the OP pulled out, I think, is useful:

Proponents of American aid to Ukraine have argued that our approach has been a boon to our own economy, creating jobs here in the factories that manufacture weapons. But our national security interests can be — and often are — separate from our economic interests. The notion that we should prolong a bloody and gruesome war because it’s been good for American business is grotesque. We can and should rebuild our industrial base without shipping its products to a foreign conflict.

Underlying this argument is the idea that there is a limited amount of investment capital in the United States, and that the current industrial policy--driven by US foreign policy of arming our partners in Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan--is at odds with American interests at home. My guess is he would like to see domestic industrial investment in products that will drive additional economic growth within the United States (think Microchip fabrications plants like the one being built in Columbus, for example) rather than products which are immediately destroyed in foreign conflicts.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 12:21:41 PM »

Do you not understand what an op-ed is?  It appears opposite the editorial page, LOL

I think you're posing this question to the wrong person...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 12:32:01 PM »

I’m not gonna quote your post Yelnoc for the sake of not taking up the entire page. Having said that I completely disagree with your assessments in quite frankly every point you made. Russia is nowhere near achieving its actual goals which is Ukraine’s complete conquest. Even with all the doom and gloom being pushed out these days Russia’s still just taking over small towns in the Donbas while losing per week close to the equivalent of what we lost in 20 years in Iraq. Which is woefully behind in their goals. Experts like Michael Kofman have done breakdowns on how Russia’s losses can’t be covered by their at max production baring China fully supporting them (which they seem reluctant to do). Furthermore this notion that ending the war will save lives completely ignores the fact that Russia wants to genocide the local Ukrainian populations and have shown the lengths they’re willing to go in places like Bucha and Mariupol. So stopping aid isn’t going to save lives at all. Lastly, that last statement of yours is beyond generous to JD Vance who has shown no reason to be given any. It’s more likely than not that he’s so loudly against aid to become Trump’s vp (who has the world’s most transparent man crush on Putin)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 12:50:17 PM »

I'll do a proper debunking of this for the sake of anyone who is reading and genuinely doesn't know about some of these things (maybe some lurkers).

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/opinion/jd-vance-ukraine.html

Ukraine’s challenge is not the G.O.P.; it’s math. Ukraine needs more soldiers than it can field, even with draconian conscription policies.

This is not really true. Modern war - much like other things in the modern economy - has become increasingly less manpower-intensive over time. Just as productivity rises in the economy, allowing more to be done per person by fewer people, "productivity" has also steadily risen over time in the military sphere.

This is the reason why during WW2 the Soviet Red Army had up to 6-7 million soldiers actively fighting on the ground against Nazi Germany, whereas today Ukraine is able to hold its ground with only some number of troops in the low hundreds of thousands (and while Russia does have more, it is not that many more - certainly nothing remotely like the WW2 size or Cold War size of the Red Army).

Given that the Red Army had that many soldiers actively fighting (and 10s of millions of more casualties), Ukraine easily has the capacity to support a much smaller number of soldiers while taking many fewer casualties than the Red Army did in WW2 for a LONG time (as they are doing even with their current limited weaponry). The only question is if they have the political will to do so, and if we have the political will to support them sufficiently in doing so.

Yes, infantry is still required, but less infantry is required than in the past, and can increasingly be substituted for by high tech equipment - provided that Ukraine actually gets that equipment.

What is much more important than raw manpower in the infantry holding a rifle is, simply put, the ability to make the enemy explode while being out of range of the enemy, so that they can not make you explode. If you can sit in safety and make the enemy explode and the enemy cannot reach out and make you explode, then the enemy will suffer high casualties while you suffer low casualties. And if you suffer low casualties, you will find over time that you require a lot fewer soldiers.

The concept there is really no different than the concept of the bow and arrow in the Battle of Agincourt, it is just on steroids with modern technology. More recently (but still a long time ago), a good example is the 1991 gulf war. An even more recent example is the Battle of Khasham in 2018, in which 40 US special forces massacred 500 Russian Wagner mercenaries and Syrian troops, while suffering 0 US casualties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

This occurred because the US had overwhelming fire/air and technical superiority.

Of course, for Ukraine things are not likely to ever be quite so lopsided, but the more and better equipment we give them, the more lopsided the casualties will become in Ukraine's favor, and the fewer Ukrainian soldiers will be required to serve and potentially die.

So provided that you have technical/equipment superiority, we know it is possible for armies to achieve extremely lopsided victories, even when fighting a much larger number of men, if they have sufficient numbers and quality of equipment to achieve clear fire superiority.

One particular example of that which has come to the fore in Ukraine is drones, which provide the ability to see the enemy's movement without having a person directly looking. Basically rather than having a person on the ground spotting for artillery or other long range fires, you can have a person further away, in relative safety, controlling the drone instead.

There is also increasing potential for automated weapons which control themselves (or partially automated to partially control themselves), which means the trend is to require fewer people involved. We are really not far at all from fully automated kamikaze drones, for example, and the restraint there is more of an ethical one than a technical one. Whether that is a good thing for humanity is a totally different question, but that is the technological reality.

It is true that you require more infantry for counter-insurgency to hold territory (the mistake Rumsfeld made in Iraq in 2003), but Ukraine is fighting a conventional war, not a counter-insurgency.

Fundamentally, we lack the capacity to manufacture the amount of weapons Ukraine needs us to supply to win the war.

This is the Sierra US Army Depot:

There are many thousands of armored fighting vehicles just sitting there doing nothing. Take a look at the satellite photos to see the full picture of the scale we are talking about here:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/sierra+army+depot/@40.2037149,-120.1506689,1686m

It is true that for the most part these are not immediately combat ready, at least not to the US Army's very high standards (which is why they are there). But it is also true that

Russia has equivalents to this sort of depot, and the way they have gotten enough AFVs to Ukraine so that they actually still have some left is by pulling their old equivalents out of mothball and sending them to Ukraine. Some would have to be scrapped for parts to fix broken parts of the others, but overall we could get a lot of functional equipment from here.

If we were serious, we could do the same thing, but do a better job on quality than Russia is doing in getting their old T-54s and T-55s ready.

Just as one example (focusing only on tanks rather than other types of equipment for simplicity), there are huge numbers of the older M1 Abrams which have the 105mm gun rather than the 120mm gun. They are not as good as new M1 Abrams, but they are still better or at least as good as most of what Ukraine and Russia are both currently using, and Ukraine would be VERY happy to have them. And in addition to that there are also a substantial number of newer M1 Abrams we could also send. (And I have not even mentioned the old M-60 tanks, which are equivalent era to the T-55s and T-54s the Russians are currently using).

Heck, if we are really too incompetent and lazy to put in any effort refitting them and getting them combat ready ourselves, we could just ship them over to Europe as they are currently, and the Ukrainians would be happy to do it themselves. They would do less good of a job of it than we could do, of course. So we should do it and start drawing down from our old cold war stockpile of old equipment that we are never going to use for anything else.

So even if we made no effort whatsoever to manufacture anything else new whatsoever, there is a lot of stuff we could send to Ukraine if we wanted to seriously help them. It might not be up to US Army standards, but it could certainly be up to Ukrainian army standards.

Not to mention, all the old planes we have sitting around in Arizona (similarly, some will never be directly useable, but others could be, and the ones in worst shape can be used for spare parts, which is why they are kept around):

The most fundamental question: How much does Ukraine need and how much can we actually provide? Mr. Biden suggests that a $60 billion supplemental means the difference between victory and defeat in a major war between Russia and Ukraine. That is also wrong.  This $60 billion is a fraction of what it would take to turn the tide in Ukraine’s favor. But this is not just a matter of dollars. Fundamentally, we lack the capacity to manufacture the amount of weapons Ukraine needs us to supply to win the war.

..We’ve roughly doubled our capacity and can now produce 360,000 per year — less than a tenth of what Ukraine says it needs. The administration’s goal is to get this to 1.2 million — 30 percent of what’s needed — by the end of 2025. This would cost the American taxpayers dearly while yielding an unpleasantly familiar result: failure abroad.

The monetary cost of artillery shells is utterly trivial. For example, the Czech Republic is purchasing 180,000 artillery shells for a cost of $618 million:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/czech-pm-allies-contract-first-210811007.html

BERLIN, April 2 (Reuters) - Germany will support Ukraine with 180,000 rounds of artillery shells as a contribution to a Czech-led plan to buy ammunition for Ukraine, with a price tag of 576 million euros ($618 million), the defence ministry said.

If you do the math, that comes out to a cost of $3433.33 per artillery shell. So if we wanted to e.g. give Ukraine a million artillery shells at that cost, it would be $3.43 billion, which is a small fraction even of the $60 billion aid request for Ukraine, much less of the entire US budget (much less of the entire US + other pro-Ukraine countries budget). Or, since JD Vance says that the total need is 3.6 million artillery shells per year, that would come out to $12.348 billion per year (1.4% of the annual US defense budget), which would be an ABSOLUTELY UNPRECEDENTED BARGAIN in return for the enormous destruction of Russian military equipment those shells would cause. Can you imagine, eliminating thousands of Russian AFVs and artillery pieces for only $12.348 billion per year? With the increased security from having eliminated so much Russian materiel, frankly we could afford to cut defense spending significantly after the war is over and be just as secure, and overall come out saving a lot of money, if you only care about money.

Moreover, those prices are inflated due to the current supply limitations - back in 2020 the cost was about $2000. And also if you ramp up production for anything in large volume, cost goes down as economies of scale kick in.

So artillery shells can be mass produced with very few people (as a fraction of the civilian workforce of USA + Europe + Japan + South Korea etc). The actual limitations on production are really just the willingness to set up additional factories, as well as some limitations on explosives as needed inputs (more explosives also need to be produced as well as the shells, so you need more factories for that also).

But in financial terms, this is literally pocket change for the western world. Rest assured, you can have artillery shells for Ukraine and also have your morning latte too.

The notion that we should prolong a bloody and gruesome war because it’s been good for American business is grotesque.

Vance is ABSOLUTELY correct. We should definitely NOT prolong the war, and he is right that it is inhumane and grotesque to do so. Instead, we should provide Ukraine with a much larger quantity of military aid to enable Ukraine to achieve a relatively swift victory - ideally as close as possible to the 1991 Gulf War (though we won't get it to that point, we can get the casualty ratio a lot more lopsided in Ukraine's favor than it currently is). There is nothing that would save more lives than kicking Russia out of Ukraine quickly, with overwhelming force, rather than more slowly. Even though in the short term it would cost more Russian lives, in the longer term it would actually even save Russian lives to give them a swift defeat, rather than for them to keep fighting for a decade or whatever.

If that sounds bad, Ukraine’s manpower situation is even worse.

Many in Washington seem to think that hundreds of thousands of young Ukrainians have gone to war with a song in their heart

One of these things is not like the other.

All you have to know to realize this is that the Soviet Union lost ~27,000,000 people in WW2.

So, if it were true that Ukraine's manpower situation were as bad as Vance wants to say it is, then he would at the very least be saying that "Many in Washington seem to think that millions of young Ukrainians have gone to war with a song in their heart," not "hundreds of thousands."
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 12:57:55 PM »

I’m not gonna quote your post Yelnoc for the sake of not taking up the entire page. Having said that I completely disagree with your assessments in quite frankly every point you made. Russia is nowhere near achieving its actual goals which is Ukraine’s complete conquest. Even with all the doom and gloom being pushed out these days Russia’s still just taking over small towns in the Donbas while losing per week close to the equivalent of what we lost in 20 years in Iraq. Which is woefully behind in their goals. Experts like Michael Kofman have done breakdowns on how Russia’s losses can’t be covered by their at max production baring China fully supporting them (which they seem reluctant to do). Furthermore this notion that ending the war will save lives completely ignores the fact that Russia wants to genocide the local Ukrainian populations and have shown the lengths they’re willing to go in places like Bucha and Mariupol. So stopping aid isn’t going to save lives at all. Lastly, that last statement of yours is beyond generous to JD Vance who has shown no reason to be given any. It’s more likely than not that he’s so loudly against aid to become Trump’s vp (who has the world’s most transparent man crush on Putin)

I appreciate your response, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 01:00:07 PM »

Thanks for not actually refuting my point but relying on trolling tactics, vatnik.

And in addition that, the videos directly refute Woody's point just by their title.

The title of the first video is "How thousands of Ukrainian men are trying..."

But, Ukraine is a country of 30-40 million people (depending on how you count the refugees etc).

"thousands" of men are, by definition, a trivial fraction of the population.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 01:34:51 PM »

Why in the name of God is every news outlet in the country giving this complete idiot, who has shown himself to be insanely ignorant about the war in Ukraine and highly receptive to Russian propaganda, a forum to spread his ignorance and Kremlin talking points?

No other Senator has been so relentlessly asked for their opinion on Ukraine and had that opinion uncritically printed in papers and aired in interviews ad nauseam.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 02:17:13 PM »

I refused to read Hillbilly Elegy back when it was supposedly woke and I'm certainly not going to start reading Vance's writing now.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 06:53:37 PM »

I dislike Vance quite a bit but he has some valid points

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies