Senator Cotton Suggests Protesters Should Be Thrown Off Bridges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senator Cotton Suggests Protesters Should Be Thrown Off Bridges
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Senator Cotton Suggests Protesters Should Be Thrown Off Bridges  (Read 1740 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2024, 02:22:29 PM »

Republican Suggests Protesters Would Be Thrown Off Bridge in Home State
On Monday morning, activists protesting the war and calling for a ceasefire shut down Highway 101 on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California, halting the commute into the city and resulting in multiple arrests.

Dozens of protesters had stopped their vehicles and blocked all southbound lanes of the span, demanding the U.S. stop arming and funding Israel in the war in Gaza as part of an economic blockade, organizers say according to local ABC News.

In an interview with Fox News, Cotton discussed the protests, stating he feels for those people who are trying to get to work and is concerned about the diversion of police resources, but adds that if the protests were to happen in his home state, the protesters would be "wet criminals" due to other people tossing them overboard.

"If something like this happened in Arkansas on a bridge there, let's just say that there would be a lot of wet criminals that would have been tossed overboard, not by law enforcement, but by the people whose road they are blocking," Cotton said.

Cotton continues to stress that there needs to be an end to the protesters as he encourages others to "take matters into their own hands."

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 02:29:26 PM »

That sounds like stuff Vladimir Putin would endorse.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 02:32:03 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2024, 02:43:05 PM by 7,052,770 »

While I don't endorse killing or harming the protestors, I can't think of a more counterproductive way to get your point across than making a bunch of people (who have no control over Gaza policy) late to work or whatever appointments they have.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 02:35:33 PM »

He's really into the idea of extralegal violence, isn't he?

Either way, I maintain that the first purple-state governor to roust these mobs with reasonable force and charge them with the appropriate crimes will probably propel themselves into the thick of the Presidential conversation. People are sick of this s*** and only getting more so.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 02:38:55 PM »

That sounds like stuff Vladimir Putin would endorse.

Why do you think the GOP is simping for him so hard? He gets to live out their fantasies
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 02:46:31 PM »

Is it just me, or has he been saying more violent, nutjob comments in the past 2 or 3 years (compared to his past)?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 02:52:47 PM »

I'm agaisnt protest at bridges, but this is too much.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 02:58:51 PM »

"If something like this happened in Arkansas" the bridge would collapse because the state's infrastructure is trash.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 02:59:16 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2024, 03:52:39 PM by The Arizonan »

Is it just me, or has he been saying more violent, nutjob comments in the past 2 or 3 years (compared to his past)?

You’ve just described many Republicans in general.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 03:01:42 PM »

To be fair, Cotton has always been like this. He was the guy saying the US had an "under incarceration problem" when Trump was promoting the First Step Act in 2018.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 03:02:38 PM »

Ehh, idk. He’s always been a whackjob that wants to lock people up, but this is an escalation. He basically wants the police to be Judge Judy and executioner.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 03:09:56 PM »

To be fair, Cotton has always been like this. He was the guy saying the US had an "under incarceration problem" when Trump was promoting the First Step Act in 2018.

And he was right, wasn't he? Haven't crime rates risen as incarceration fell? The narrative that Michelle Alexander etc presented in 2016 -- "The New Jim Crow" -- has clearly been disastrous for America.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 03:14:03 PM »

And he was right, wasn't he? Haven't crime rates risen as incarceration fell? The narrative that Michelle Alexander etc presented in 2016 -- "The New Jim Crow" -- has clearly been disastrous for America.

COVID was a temporary blip, violent crime crashed down last year, and is declining even faster this year.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/12/1229891045/police-crime-baltimore-san-francisco-minneapolis-murder-statistics

I get that you only like spending money if it leads to war, brutality, or imprisonment, never to actually help people, but damn, at least try to get the facts right. Maybe one day God will show you a halfway decent, less monstrous path.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 03:21:35 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2024, 04:23:51 PM by Crumpets »

One of the most eye-opening moments of 2020 for me was when one of my acquaintances who I had always thought of as a go-to example of "I know someone who is as conservative as they come, but at least he supports democracy, opposes violence, and sees us all as fellow Americans" came out in support of people driving over BLM protesters if they got in their way. Of course, he then decided the election was stolen in November and then basically left all social media after January 6th after sharing a post that Big Tech was engaging in Orwellian censorship by taking away Trump's Twitter account.

Which is all to say, this is a radicalization pipeline. This is exactly how ISIS (and probably Hamas too, to some extent) wants its supporters to look at the world. In their case, it's just replacing peaceful protesters with members of other religions - two groups so historically connected that they are protected in the same breath in the Constitution.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 03:45:08 PM »

COVID was a temporary blip, violent crime crashed down last year, and is declining even faster this year.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/12/1229891045/police-crime-baltimore-san-francisco-minneapolis-murder-statistics

I get that you only like spending money if it leads to war, brutality, or imprisonment, never to actually help people, but damn, at least try to get the facts right. Maybe one day God will show you a halfway decent, less monstrous path.

"COVID" had nothing to do with it: crime fell when COVID happened. It was the summer of Floyd. And yes, crime is now coming back down because there a backlash forcing Democratic politicians to take action -- see Hochul putting troopers on the subways -- but the homicide rate for 2023 was still substantially higher than in 2019.

Seriously, classic data trick/example of not thinking through something: "violent crime crashed down last year, and is declining even faster this year." Uh, okay. How does crime compare to before you guys went on a libertine rampage through the laws of half the country?

Your last paragraph is just a slathering of ad hominems. Look, I'll put it to you this way: I care about the lives of law abiding citizens. I don't care all that much if it requires "brutality" to protect the lives of those who have done nothing wrong. Heck, I'll one up you: I want evil criminals to be executed. I think that if you commit a heinous crime like rape or murder, you deserve to die.

And if you think it is "monstrous" to say that, know that sophistry isn't going to cut it anymore. People are sick and tired of leftist nonsense. The left did this in the 1960s, and we solved it in the 1990s, and then the left tried to come back in the 2010s and tell us that it'd actually be a really good idea to let criminals out of jail, and guess what, gee whiz, crime rose. And it's all so tiresome because this is so consistent. The left does something. It fails. We are told that was a fluke. They do it again. It fails again. We are told it is a fluke. And so on so forth. For another example: In the 1970s we had inflation driven by money printing and overrun spending. Then in the 2020s we were told that was a fluke. Then Biden passed huge stimulus packages. Then inflation rose. Now we are told that was a coincidence. You may convince yourselves, but you can't fool me, and you won't fool the American people. That's why Hochul almost lost. That's why Trump is going to win in November.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 03:47:14 PM »

You need a strong and empowered police force with the support of judges and prosecutors to prevent vigilante violence.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 03:48:05 PM »

One of the most eye-opening moments of 2020 for me was when one of my acquaintances who I had always thought of as a go-to example of "I know someone who is as conservative as they come, but at least he supports democracy, opposes violence, and sees us all as fellow Americans" came out in support of people driving over BLM protesters if they got in their way. Of course, he then decided the election was stolen in November and then basically left all social media after January 6th after sharing a post that Big Tech was engaging in Orwellin censorship by taking away Trump's Twitter account.

Which is all to say, this is a radicalization pipeline. This is exactly how ISIS (and probably Hamas too, to some extent) wants its supporters to look at the world. In their case, it's just replacing peaceful protesters with members of other religions - two groups so historically connected that they are protected in the same breath in the Constitution.

George HW Bush sent in the military to deal with the LA Rioters while Trump didn’t have the courage to do what HW Bush did .

The BLM riots were a complete disgrace and their demands helped harm this nation
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 03:52:06 PM »

You need a strong and empowered police force with the support of judges and prosecutors to prevent vigilante violence.

Right. And when you abandon the state's granted power to enforce the law, that responsibility returns to the people. Vigilante violence sucks. But the people who want these criminals to get a pass should be ignored when they condemn people taking matters into their own hands. They have created the problem. They are responsible for the sake of anarchy. They relish it. They support it because they want us -- the people -- to be bound but not protected, and their friends -- the vagrants, the criminals -- to be protected but not bound. That must be rejected totally and completely.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 03:56:44 PM »

One of the most eye-opening moments of 2020 for me was when one of my acquaintances who I had always thought of as a go-to example of "I know someone who is as conservative as they come, but at least he supports democracy, opposes violence, and sees us all as fellow Americans" came out in support of people driving over BLM protesters if they got in their way. Of course, he then decided the election was stolen in November and then basically left all social media after January 6th after sharing a post that Big Tech was engaging in Orwellin censorship by taking away Trump's Twitter account.

George HW Bush sent in the military to deal with the LA Rioters while Trump didn’t have the courage to do what HW Bush did .

The BLM riots were a complete disgrace and their demands helped harm this nation

You're absolutely right that Donald Trump didn't do his job. There should have been boots on the ground. But blaming the man who was furthest right only gets us so far. I'm sure he's learned his lesson at this point, but even if he hasn't I'd rather have a President who was and is at least directionally against the rioters, the criminals, the thugs then one who is and was on their side.

And frankly, I mean it when I say I think Trump has learned his lesson. If he wins, the next four years will be wholesome for this country beyond belief. Even with executive powers alone, what the executive has wrought can be unmade. We can fire the bureaucrats. We can cripple Title 9, anti-trust law, environmental restrictions on building and fracking. We can gut the political prosecutors. The DEI state, the welfare state, all of it -- it can and will be undone. We will triumph.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 04:01:48 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2024, 04:07:54 PM by OSR stands with Israel »

You're absolutely right that Donald Trump didn't do his job. There should have been boots on the ground. But blaming the man who was furthest right only gets us so far. I'm sure he's learned his lesson at this point, but even if he hasn't I'd rather have a President who was and is at least directionally against the rioters, the criminals, the thugs then one who is and was on their side.

And frankly, I mean it when I say I think Trump has learned his lesson. If he wins, the next four years will be wholesome for this country beyond belief. Even with executive powers alone, what the executive has wrought can be unmade. We can fire the bureaucrats. We can cripple Title 9. We can gut the political prosecutors. The DEI state, the welfare state, all of it -- it can and will be undone. We will triumph.

I don’t think Trump learnt his lesson though and I believe he learnt all the wrong lessons and at this point seems hell bent of just being a chaos agent . Like he has been obsessed with the idea that the 2020 election was stolen ever since he lost and has been making his campaign about revenge for that .  Also his foreign policy stances this time are just truly truly awful as well as he’s even been backing down from his anti China stances from his first term .

I will just say I’m happy to be living in a safe state this election cycle cause I have never ever been embarrassed by an election choice as I am by this one .
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 04:06:45 PM »

And frankly, I mean it when I say I think Trump has learned his lesson. If he wins, the next four years will be wholesome for this country beyond belief. Even with executive powers alone, what the executive has wrought can be unmade. We can fire the bureaucrats. We can cripple Title 9. We can gut the political prosecutors. The DEI state, the welfare state, all of it -- it can and will be undone. We will triumph.

I don’t think Trump learnt his lesson though and I believe he learnt all the wrong lessons and at this point seems hell bent of just being a chaos agent . Like he has been obsessed with the idea that the 2020 election was stolen ever since he lost and has been making his campaign about revenge for that .  Also his foreign policy stances this time are just truly truly awful as well as he’s even been backing down from his anti China stances from his first term .

I will just say I’m happy to be living in a safe state this election cycle cause I have never ever been embarrassed by an election choice as I am by this one

Sure he has. Haven't you heard of Project 2025? Don't you see what's happened to the Espers of the world, and the Stephen Millers of the world? And frankly, China is much less of a problem than our domestic problems.  Should we be preparing to fight them for Taiwan? Sure, but we could lose Taiwan and it would still be less important than who wins the battle for America here. As Lincoln said, America can only be defeated from within. Focus on the big picture.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2024, 04:20:55 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2024, 04:24:01 PM by Crumpets »

One of the most eye-opening moments of 2020 for me was when one of my acquaintances who I had always thought of as a go-to example of "I know someone who is as conservative as they come, but at least he supports democracy, opposes violence, and sees us all as fellow Americans" came out in support of people driving over BLM protesters if they got in their way. Of course, he then decided the election was stolen in November and then basically left all social media after January 6th after sharing a post that Big Tech was engaging in Orwellian censorship by taking away Trump's Twitter account.

This was his post. That picture was the Charlottesville attack, although he posted it in August 2020.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024, 04:21:23 PM »

I will just say I’m happy to be living in a safe state this election cycle cause I have never ever been embarrassed by an election choice as I am by this one

Sure he has. Haven't you heard of Project 2025? Don't you see what's happened to the Espers of the world, and the Stephen Millers of the world? And frankly, China is much less of a problem than our domestic problems.  Should we be preparing to fight them for Taiwan? Sure, but we could lose Taiwan and it would still be less important than who wins the battle for America here. As Lincoln said, America can only be defeated from within. Focus on the big picture.

The question though with any plan is the details. While yes we need a dramatic reshaping of the civil service , the question is who will Trump put in those positions. Will they be people who are actually interested in bringing a conservative constitutional government or will they be people who are just put in their case they are loyal to Trump but in reality are very incompetent at their jobs .

The latter does not bring on conservative goals and instead just make it easier for the left to push culture even more to the left as our efforts will quickly become unpopular and also easier to tie up in the courts . At the end of the day , Trump has never shown to be a disciplined person and bringing upon the changes you need requires a lot of discipline and while I wish Trump was disciplined, he absolutely is not .

Listen , I hope to be wrong but his actions since November 2020 have not really given me faith in his abilities
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024, 04:28:01 PM »

The question though with any plan is the details. While yes we need a dramatic reshaping of the civil service , the question is who will Trump put in those positions. Will they be people who are actually interested in bringing a conservative constitutional government or will they be people who are just put in their case they are loyal to Trump but in reality are very incompetent at their jobs .

The latter does not bring on conservative goals and instead just make it easier for the left to push culture even more to the left as our efforts will quickly become unpopular and also easier to tie up in the courts . At the end of the day , Trump has never shown to be a disciplined person and bringing upon the changes you need requires a lot of discipline and while I wish Trump was disciplined, he absolutely is not .

Listen , I hope to be wrong but his actions since November 2020 have not really given me faith in his abilities

You're exactly the same as Trump when it comes to the civil service; you don't want people promoted on merit, but loyalty to your ideology. The only difference is your ideology has some surface-level disagreements with his but aim for the same goals.

The "Responsible Republican" issue with Trump isn't his views; it's that he said the quiet parts out loud.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2024, 04:44:08 PM »

You're exactly the same as Trump when it comes to the civil service; you don't want people promoted on merit, but loyalty to your ideology. The only difference is your ideology has some surface-level disagreements with his but aim for the same goals.

The "Responsible Republican" issue with Trump isn't his views; it's that he said the quiet parts out loud.

its a joke to claim the people who don’t make Up the civil service aren’t political. The ones who do currently pushed the CRT nonsense in our institutions, have tried to undermine our foreign policy every step of the way , and abused their powers when it comes to regulations in general.

The fact is there is no such thing as a non political civil service and we should stop pretending. Also I stopped caring about deferring to “experts” when experts said :

- It’s ok to protest in large numbers but not ok to go to the beach or go in picnics

- shutting down schools for 18 months won’t have significant consequences

- teaching algebra is racist

- decriminalizing hard drugs will not increase crime

- we should look at every institution through a super narrow intersectional view

The so called exports and academics have been wrong so flagrantly over the past few years that yes they absolutely should lose the trust they once had . They are blatantly political and it is high time we bring them down a peg .

Yes this is the reason I supported DeSantis and the actions of institutions and academia since October 7th have shows that he underplayed how big the rot is .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies