What is harder to do in a congressional primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:39:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What is harder to do in a congressional primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is harder to do in a congressional primary?
Primarying out a Squad member

Primarying out an ultra-MAGA congressperson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What is harder to do in a congressional primary?  (Read 417 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2024, 10:48:41 AM »

What is harder to do in a congressional primary? Beating a squad member or an ultra-MAGA congressperson in a primary?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 04:49:33 PM »

Option two, by far.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 04:54:57 PM »

Can you explain?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 04:57:12 PM »

Republicans tolerate their most ideological flank more than Democrats do. Cawthorn and King are outliers.

But we'll see what happens with Bowman and Bush this year.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 05:09:56 PM »

Republicans tolerate their most ideological flank more than Democrats do. Cawthorn and King are outliers.

What were the specific circumstances that allowed for Cawthorn and King to lose their primaries?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 05:11:15 PM »

King's an outlier fs, but I don't think Cawthorn's example can count. He didn't lose because he was radical - I mean, sure he was, but nothing compared to Boebart, Greene, Gosar, etc., all of whom survived - but rather, because of the myriad of controversies and scandals surrounding him. His situation parallels Santos' much more closely than it does Steve King's.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 05:23:49 PM »

What were the specific circumstances that allowed for Cawthorn and King to lose their primaries?

King: He made a number of white supremacist comments as well as some anti-Semitic comments, for which he was ultimately stripped of his committee assignments. He may also have seen as electorally vulnerable given a close shave in 2018.

Cawthorn: a video where he appeared to be humping his (male) cousin, pics of him in lingerie, bringing a loaded gun to an airport, talking about cocaine-fueled orgies occurring in DC (this was really the start of his troubles), promoting Let's Go Brandon cryptocurrency (ultimately there were questions of insider trading), allegations of sexual harassment...these are just the highlights, there are other more minor controversies as well
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 05:43:36 PM »

King's an outlier fs, but I don't think Cawthorn's example can count. He didn't lose because he was radical - I mean, sure he was, but nothing compared to Boebart, Greene, Gosar, etc., all of whom survived - but rather, because of the myriad of controversies and scandals surrounding him. His situation parallels Santos' much more closely than it does Steve King's.

I’ve always felt that with all the scandals Boebert has been getting herself into lately, and her district hopping, she could be next. She’s way more controversial now than she was in her first term when she was just Rocky Mountain MTG.

There are other Republicans who give me vibes of the “Next Cawthorn” like Crane, Luna, Ogles, Max Miller but we haven’t really uncovered enough about them yet for them to be vulnerable.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 05:20:56 PM »

King: He made a number of white supremacist comments as well as some anti-Semitic comments, for which he was ultimately stripped of his committee assignments. He may also have seen as electorally vulnerable given a close shave in 2018.

Cawthorn: a video where he appeared to be humping his (male) cousin, pics of him in lingerie, bringing a loaded gun to an airport, talking about cocaine-fueled orgies occurring in DC (this was really the start of his troubles), promoting Let's Go Brandon cryptocurrency (ultimately there were questions of insider trading), allegations of sexual harassment...these are just the highlights, there are other more minor controversies as well
King was primaried out because he was starting to get vulnerable in general elections and the GOP didn't want to start having to invest in a Trump+27 seat.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 05:43:01 PM »

King was primaried out because he was starting to get vulnerable in general elections and the GOP didn't want to start having to invest in a Trump+27 seat.

Given what happened with Boebert and the fact that Edwards only won by 9, I honestly think Cawthorn may have lost the general. At the very least, it would have been way too close for comfort.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 01:16:04 AM »

I’ve always felt that with all the scandals Boebert has been getting herself into lately, and her district hopping, she could be next. She’s way more controversial now than she was in her first term when she was just Rocky Mountain MTG.

There are other Republicans who give me vibes of the “Next Cawthorn” like Crane, Luna, Ogles, Max Miller but we haven’t really uncovered enough about them yet for them to be vulnerable.

I don't really think any of those four would face any trouble at all in a GOP primary. They're just the right amount of far-right.

What's notable about those four is that three of them (Crane, Luna, Miller) represent districts that aren't that heavily R. So far they've not really been all that controversial, but they need to be cautious or they it's not impossible they hit the curb in the next D wave (2026 if Trump wins this year).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 01:17:40 AM »

Given what happened with Boebert and the fact that Edwards only won by 9, I honestly think Cawthorn may have lost the general. At the very least, it would have been way too close for comfort.

Yeah, I could honestly see Cawthorn losing that one...Only thing that gives me pause is that Boebart ultimately did hold on in a slightly less red seat in an area that seems like it's quite a bit more elastic than western NC. I think he'd probably have held on by a whisker, yeah.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 11:54:10 AM »

I don't really think any of those four would face any trouble at all in a GOP primary. They're just the right amount of far-right.

What's notable about those four is that three of them (Crane, Luna, Miller) represent districts that aren't that heavily R. So far they've not really been all that controversial, but they need to be cautious or they it's not impossible they hit the curb in the next D wave (2026 if Trump wins this year).

Ogles’ seat is only Trump+11, so not that much redder than the other three districts. Also the fastest left-trending by a good amount.

But regarding those four being far right alone probably won’t be enough to beat them in primaries but if the start to become controversial on a personal level that could put them in the hot seat.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 11:07:19 AM »

I can see most of the Squad primaried by normier liberals.
I don´t think Dolan has a path to win a primary agaisnt AOC, but an anti-Squad hispanic liberal (like Torres) could do it.

To primary Greene, it would require a "normier" republican from northeast GA with a resume to show who can appea to both rural areas, small cities and the suburbs. Obviously, that resume would mean success pushing conservative policies that the GOP base there wants. Also, that candidate would need the support of CoG and AIPAC (the easiest part). Does that candidate exist?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 11:12:15 AM »

I can see most of the Squad primaried by normier liberals.
I don´t think Dolan has a path to win a primary agaisnt AOC, but an anti-Squad hispanic liberal (like Torres) could do it.

To primary Greene, it would require a "normier" republican from northeast GA with a resume to show who can appea to both rural areas, small cities and the suburbs. Obviously, that resume would mean success pushing conservative policies that the GOP base there wants. Also, that candidate would need the support of CoG and AIPAC (the easiest part). Does that candidate exist?

MTG would probably be more at risk of losing her primary if it went deeper into Cobb. Also if Brian Kemp endorsed against her that would be a big boost towards her opponent. I think State Sen. Ed Setzler might be the toughest opponent for her.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies