Science Fiction comic books
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Science Fiction comic books
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Science Fiction comic books  (Read 67 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2024, 12:25:14 AM »

This seems like an obvious genre, but the only comic books I'm aware of from the silver age or the golden age of comic books are from a DC comic book series called 'Mystery in Space.'

From Wiki: . The first series ran for 110 issues from 1951 to 1966, with a further seven issues continuing the numbering during an early 1980s revival of the title. An eight-issue limited series began in 2006.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_in_Space

I have the anthology book of the series that DC comics put out in the mid 1990s. A writer named Larry Niven wrote the text for the anthology and mentions that the comic had such artists as Nick Cardy, Joe Kubert, Ruben Moreira, Jack Kirby and Alex Toth.

Apparently in the first issue was a strip entitled "The Rocket Lanes of Tomorrow" which, as Niven wrote, "the unknown writer of this piece adopted a curiously authoritative tone on the strangest details."

This is one example: "The miracle of jet propelled rockets will make possible cheap transportation of freight. Pilots will be able to blast off from rocket ports of the future to roar  across the ocean at a meteoric speed of 1,500 miles an hour. Inhabitants of desert regions will be able to receive fruits plucked from farms only a few hours previously."

Of course this was wrong because the most important thing in freight isn't really the speed but the amount of cargo per trip (hence three mile long freight trains, for instance.)

Another strip entitled 'how television will change your future' sort of predicted the internet, but it only suggested one way communication.

Science fiction in general isn't a huge genre (unless including fantasy) and despite the seeming obvious connections, science fiction and comic books never really caught on during the golden or silver ages.

I don't know what things are like now with graphic novels though.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 07:51:15 AM »

I like H.P. Lovecraft stories. Metallica wrote a song about one of them.

I am positive some of these would have been made into comics.

Color Out of Space felt like a sci-fi horror comic movie.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies