Reports: Biden plans executive order to limit southern border crossings by end of month
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:37:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reports: Biden plans executive order to limit southern border crossings by end of month
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reports: Biden plans executive order to limit southern border crossings by end of month  (Read 810 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »

President Biden used an interview with Spanish-language broadcaster Univision that aired Tuesday to send a massive signal that he plans to issue an executive order to dramatically limit the number of asylum-seekers who can cross the southern border.

Axios is told that while it's not final, such an executive order is likely by the end of April.

Why it matters: We're told there's a fierce debate internally about the legality and politics of a Trump-like lockdown. But Biden, briefed on polls of rising voter anger, wants a dramatic step.

I could imagine some Dems will be skeptical, but it might help Biden's chances for the election.
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 06:38:55 PM »

Biden needs to stop thinking that a tough stance on immigration will attract anti-immigrant voters. Regardless of what he does, Fox News and co. will always accuse him of being an "open borders, white genocide enabler," so he might as well just open the border and stimulate the economy, ease inflation, and help people. What Biden is doing right now is the worst of both worlds: preventing immigrants from saving America and not receiving any political boost for doing so because the right will always accuse him of flooding the country with millions and millions of illegal immigrants no matter what he does.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 06:49:09 PM »

Biden needs to stop thinking that a tough stance on immigration will attract anti-immigrant voters. Regardless of what he does, Fox News and co. will always accuse him of being an "open borders, white genocide enabler," so he might as well just open the border and stimulate the economy, ease inflation, and help people. What Biden is doing right now is the worst of both worlds: preventing immigrants from saving America and not receiving any political boost for doing so because the right will always accuse him of flooding the country with millions and millions of illegal immigrants no matter what he does.

Or, hear me out, it's the right thing to do either way.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 06:58:13 PM »

Why do you think this is still 2015/19 though and that only right wingers care about this issue . Poll after poll shows far more voters care now then they did before which is why Biden would do this
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 06:59:24 PM »

Well, they can't say he hasn't done anything or isn't taking the issue seriously.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 10:43:12 PM »

Well, they can't say he hasn't done anything or isn't taking the issue seriously.

C'mon man.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 11:18:07 PM »

Biden needs to restart giving investments to Central America to stop their people from coming here.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 11:42:52 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2024, 11:54:04 PM by Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️ »

I think there is probably some truth to that tbh. Though exactly how much is debatable.

Ask yourself the question - What would happen if Biden went super hard anti-immigration and did (somehow) totally stop ALL asylum seekers from coming through the southern border?

Would Trump/Republicans/Fox/etc say "ok, we have solved that issue, now let's deal with other issues like health care, taxes, social security, ukraine," or whatever else? I have a hard time seeing that.

No. Instead, Trump/Republicans/Fox/etc would just change the goalpost and say that what we need to do now that we don't have more brown people coming in is to mass deport all the brown people (including citizens, because they would argue against birthright citizenship btw) because all these brown immigrants that came to America in the last 50 years are taking good American jobs from good Americans (i.e. from white people).

The implication of this, if true, is that all this concern about "immigration" and "border security" is in reality just another dog whistle - perhaps not for ALL voters who are concerned about it, but for many/most.

It is really just about fear of America becoming non-majority white.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 02:14:13 AM »

C'mon man.

I don't personally think it's necessary or actually going to help with the issue in a practical sense-I think the priority needs to be processing and expanding/reforming the courts. But that's a losing stance, so Biden kind of has to play this on the Republicans' terms. Immigration is one of those issues the left may never win on in this country.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 08:43:43 AM »

Why do you think this is still 2015/19 though and that only right wingers care about this issue . Poll after poll shows far more voters care now then they did before which is why Biden would do this

I agree that not only partisan GOPers or right-wingers care about the issue. There are even immigrant communities who usually vote Dem who want stricter policies as they came in by following the rules. Seems to me like OP's (correct) point is that anyone for whom this is the 1st priority won't switch to Biden regardless of how strict policies he imposes.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 02:24:10 PM »

Agreed. While there should be comprehensive immigration reform to make legal entry easier, illegal border crossing should be stopped, including by erecting physical barriers where necessary or simply deny entrance via border patrol.

Politically I believe Biden has more to gain than to lose from this as well. And he should continue to blame Republicans and Trump for failing to pass a border security bill through the House.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 03:02:02 PM »

I'm stealing this line, but "Biden plans executive order on border enforcement" really is becoming a running joke on par with "infrastructure week."
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 01:40:42 PM »

Agreed. While there should be comprehensive immigration reform to make legal entry easier, illegal border crossing should be stopped, including by erecting physical barriers where necessary or simply deny entrance via border patrol.

Politically I believe Biden has more to gain than to lose from this as well. And he should continue to blame Republicans and Trump for failing to pass a border security bill through the House.
From my understanding the current crisis isn't from illegal entry. Its from asylum requests

Its migrants arriving at the border and asking for asylum. Asking for asylum is saying you can't return to your home nation because you would be in danger.

By law, we can't send someone back until their asylum case is processed. The current wait time to go before a immigration judge is 5 years. Most claims will be rejected.

But thats still 5 years a migrant can work and send money home even if their claim is rejected.

President Biden has been proposing since 2019 to hire a lot more immigration judges. The idea is if more people are immediately rejected, less will come. 

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 09:45:29 AM »

From the article:

With Republicans making the border a top 2024 issue, Biden has been trying to find the right language to impose a crackdown without getting instantly shut down by courts — or facing an open revolt by his progressive base.

The White House had hoped that Congress would pass a bipartisan border deal to give the administration more authority and resources to block migrants and asylum seekers from illegally crossing the border when numbers spike.

What they're saying: "Congress should do its job and it hasn't," a White House spokesperson told Axios. "No executive action, no matter how aggressive, can deliver the significant policy reforms and additional resources Congress can provide and that Republicans rejected."

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 08:43:49 AM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 10:16:53 PM »

It's the right thing to do, either way.  It doesn't undo the real harm to American citizens that Biden's maladministration of the border has done, and that should not be forgotten.  That he's taken almost until the end of his 1st term to do this (in response to political troubles) suggest that he'll undo it if reelected, because whoever's driving the Biden Administration doesn't want the border closed.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 10:18:53 PM »

It's the wrong thing to do, but Biden is smart to do it for his reelection campaign. When I was supporting Biden, I wanted him to do this. Suffice it to say it's another way Biden is similar to Trump.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 11:45:20 PM »

It's the right thing to do, either way.  It doesn't undo the real harm to American citizens that Biden's maladministration of the border has done, and that should not be forgotten.  That he's taken almost until the end of his 1st term to do this (in response to political troubles) suggest that he'll undo it if reelected, because whoever's driving the Biden Administration doesn't want the border closed.

You could've passed the bull that gave you everything conservatives wanted, and then Trump demanded it be killed so he could use it ad a campaign issue.

Republicans share the blame for this equally.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 01:49:41 AM »

I am so glad that he is doing this now as opposed before
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 07:24:24 PM »

"Trump brags about efforts to stymie border talks: ‘Please blame it on me’"

So you're now claiming that Donald Trump is secretly controlling the Biden administration? That's a new one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 07:26:32 PM »

"Trump brags about efforts to stymie border talks: ‘Please blame it on me’"

So you're now claiming that Donald Trump is secretly controlling the Biden administration? That's a new one.

Biden doesn't have to talk to a soul to seal the border.  He just needs to reverse his Executive Actions.  You know that, by the way.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 07:54:58 PM »

This old man yells at cloud act is getting absurd.

Like, bro. That's not even a cloud.

That's just a 50 foot wide collection of early morning mist near the bridge you drive over on your commute... you know, the part where the road gets low after going over the little hill and close to the water and it where it is often misty whenever the humidity is at all above average (you know the part I mean - yes, you do).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies