College sports players harassed by degenerate gamblers.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:58:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College sports players harassed by degenerate gamblers.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College sports players harassed by degenerate gamblers.  (Read 422 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:03:58 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2024, 05:21:59 PM by lfromnj »

https://theathletic.com/5384328/2024/04/02/gambling-college-basketball-players-substitutes-spread/

This season he’s played a grand total of 21 minutes and scored six points. Three of them came in the NCAA Tournament. With 37 seconds left in a game long decided, Barrett drained a baseline 3 against Grambling State, putting himself in the box score of Purdue’s first-round victory. As the ball swished through the net, the bench erupted, Barrett’s teammates knowing full well what he’d sacrificed and endured. His bucket would be the last for the Boilermakers as Purdue cruised to a 78-50 win. Back in the locker room, Barrett picked up his phone and scrolled through the congratulatory texts from friends and started to search through his DMs on social media.

He stumbled on this:

You sure are a son of a b—.
Hope you enjoy selling cars for the rest of your life.

This is pretty insane tbh. Basically a bunch of degenerate gamblers are attacking players for going agaisnt their bet.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 02:07:57 PM »

Sports betting is deplorable and predatory towards young men.  It was a mistake to legalize.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 02:50:54 PM »

With all the moral panic about cannabis I think sports gambling is way worse, although it should still be legal but highly regulated. I also favor 21 and over, I think most 18-20 year olds are too young for sports gambling.

Sports Gambling is going to ruin families and destroy lives in a direct way that cannabis does not. But there has been almost no pushback to the harm of sports gambling being widespread and targeted to young people.

But on the College student note, yet another reason they should be paid. People are making or losing money betting on them, what are they seeing from it? They have to deal with yet another thing that makes them a "professional" while being treated as an unpaid "amateur".
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 04:34:02 PM »

I think legal sports betting should be very limited.  First, there should be no betting on college or other amateur sports at all.  Second, betting should be limited to betting on the binary outcomes of games, so that the incentives of bettors are aligned with the incentives of teams.  No props, no points spreads, no over/unders etc.  Futures on win totals and championships, moneyline parlays, etc. are fine as long as they ultimately decided by who wins and loses the games.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 06:35:06 PM »

I find spreads to be the most fun to gamble on, but they're so f--king annoying these days because you go to a bar and people are cheering for the spread instead of the outcome of the game.  When Team A gets ahead, they don't care.  When Team A gets up by 7, then they care because the spread was -6.5.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 10:14:47 PM »

I think legal sports betting should be very limited.  First, there should be no betting on college or other amateur sports at all.  Second, betting should be limited to betting on the binary outcomes of games, so that the incentives of bettors are aligned with the incentives of teams.  No props, no points spreads, no over/unders etc.  Futures on win totals and championships, moneyline parlays, etc. are fine as long as they ultimately decided by who wins and loses the games.

I honestly was more liberal/libertarian/whatever on the issue until literally every f**king game or analysis of a game I've seen has been sponsored by Fanduel. Sh!t is a god damn cancer on sports atm. Definitely needs some stronger rules, while still being allowed.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 10:23:05 PM »

This is a prime example of things being better underground
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 12:29:07 AM »

why would a 21 year old athlete, in the top 1% in the world at the game he loves, off a big victory in one of the most important games of his life be upset because some (probably fat and old) loser in Sacramento who just lost 7 grand betting against him and is big mad?  I'd have responded with a "bet better ass" and then block him.

People need thicker skin.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 03:07:52 AM »

I think legal sports betting should be very limited.  First, there should be no betting on college or other amateur sports at all.  Second, betting should be limited to betting on the binary outcomes of games, so that the incentives of bettors are aligned with the incentives of teams.  No props, no points spreads, no over/unders etc.  Futures on win totals and championships, moneyline parlays, etc. are fine as long as they ultimately decided by who wins and loses the games.

I honestly was more liberal/libertarian/whatever on the issue until literally every f**king game or analysis of a game I've seen has been sponsored by Fanduel. Sh!t is a god damn cancer on sports atm. Definitely needs some stronger rules, while still being allowed.

I’m still hardcore libertarian on this because I got subsidized 1000  dollars from all the sites thanks to degens
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 07:40:13 AM »

why would a 21 year old athlete, in the top 1% in the world at the game he loves, off a big victory in one of the most important games of his life be upset because some (probably fat and old) loser in Sacramento who just lost 7 grand betting against him and is big mad?  I'd have responded with a "bet better ass" and then block him.

People need thicker skin.

Yeah, it’s more younger people now across all demographics. People betting money they don’t have because they think they’re sports geniuses.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 08:41:04 AM »

Bookies have always been predators, just like pimps. Allowing them to hide behind platforms does nothing but insulate them from what they have wrought.

And they've bought up both parties. This isn't necessarily personal corruption, it's also promises of money for schools, mental health, tax cuts, etc. My state just legalized sports betting without so much as a roll call vote!

"But people are going to do it anyway, we're just missing out on the revenue, we may as well regulate it..." Do you have any idea how much advertising for this social corrosion I've run across over the past few months after you schmucks opened the floodgates?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 10:48:53 AM »

Bookies have always been predators, just like pimps. Allowing them to hide behind platforms does nothing but insulate them from what they have wrought.

And they've bought up both parties. This isn't necessarily personal corruption, it's also promises of money for schools, mental health, tax cuts, etc. My state just legalized sports betting without so much as a roll call vote!

"But people are going to do it anyway, we're just missing out on the revenue, we may as well regulate it..." Do you have any idea how much advertising for this social corrosion I've run across over the past few months after you schmucks opened the floodgates?

Yes.  Betting on sports used to be a fairly arduous thing organize by my friend groups.  One guy would make a groupchat and text everyone for their picks each round.  Or one guy would have a mailing list and a big spreadsheet and send out emails each week with standings and spreads for the next week.  If you had a really good feeling about some game, or you were just "feeling hot", you could always fly down to Vegas -- I did this for the NFL draft once, and I had a buddy who would fly down for March Madness opening weekend every year.

All of this was pretty fun.  It wasn't something you could just casually do.  And it certainly wasn't easy to get addicted to.  How could it be?  Your opportunities to throw money away were very limited.  We'd talk about our bets when we went out to watch games, but since we were all basically betting on the same thing, it was still fun.

Now anyone can bet from their phones, an unlimited number of times, unlimited amount of money, on literally anything.  So it's incredibly easy to get addicted.  And everyone has tons of bets out that they want to talk about.  And most of their bets are on stupid things like parlays or player props that have nothing to do with the actual game and aren't fun at all to talk about.  I picked Florida, you picked Colorado?  Cool, that gives us a little more reason to care about and talk about a game we don't have much stake in otherwise.  I picked the under on Florida's starting center getting 13.5 rebounds?  Who the f--k cares?  And now every time he gets a rebound I'm shouting "god damn it! ..... sorry guys, I've got the under on him getting 14 rebounds lol, I need him to not get rebounds."  totally sucks!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 11:59:56 AM »

I think legal sports betting should be very limited.  First, there should be no betting on college or other amateur sports at all.  Second, betting should be limited to betting on the binary outcomes of games, so that the incentives of bettors are aligned with the incentives of teams.  No props, no points spreads, no over/unders etc.  Futures on win totals and championships, moneyline parlays, etc. are fine as long as they ultimately decided by who wins and loses the games.
I agree with the second part. Fine with sports betting on all types but it should be restricted to just who wins the game.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 01:12:54 PM »

If people are dumb enough to do this, let them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies