WSJ: US Companies Outsourcing White-Collar Work to UK in Search of Lower Wages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:16:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  WSJ: US Companies Outsourcing White-Collar Work to UK in Search of Lower Wages
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: WSJ: US Companies Outsourcing White-Collar Work to UK in Search of Lower Wages  (Read 2164 times)
pikachu
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2024, 03:48:22 PM »

Link

It isn’t just films. American businesses are sending all types of work across the Atlantic, drawn by depressed U.K. salaries, tax incentives and a weak currency. This isn’t the traditional outsourcing model of the 2000s, which saw the mass relocation of American manufacturing jobs to China, or call centers to India and other parts of the developing world.

Instead, the U.K.’s cost advantage has collided with the rise in remote work to allow high-skilled jobs—software developers, consultants, lawyers, film producers—to be done by people in Britain.

“In the old models of outsourcing you’d give the outsourcing company the boring work. But there’s the new breed of outsourcing that is cheaper but also often creative,” said Matt Buckland, who spent two decades as a tech recruiter in the U.K. for companies including Facebook. “You might still give your team in Hyderabad basic Python code. In the U.K. you might give them AI.”

Surging wages and staff shortages in the U.S. are further incentives to look across the pond.

The average salary for a back end software developer in the U.S. is near $130,000, though closer to $175,000 in cities such as San Francisco and New York, according to data from global recruitment agency Robert Half. In the U.K., a developer’s average salary is about $66,000.

The cost of living explains only part of the gap. Software developers in Cleveland—one of the poorest major U.S. cities—can outearn peers in London by about $40,000, according to Robert Half’s data. Roles in finance, accounting and marketing have similar trans-Atlantic pay gulfs.

“The strength of the [U.S. economy] over the last 15 years has pushed wages up and made it more attractive to offshore,” said Nick Bloom, a Stanford University economics professor who studies outsourcing. “If you’re based in New York or San Francisco it’s now going to be cheaper to offshore to northern England than to Mississippi or Alabama.”
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 03:53:43 PM »

You can’t put America First with capitalism.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 04:04:21 PM »

Good to see the UK become a third world country
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 05:49:13 PM »

If work can be done remotely then why pay someone higher wages here ? One of the dumbest movements in recent history to start demanding full remote work.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 06:12:03 PM »

Brexit has and will continue to accelerate Britain's economic dependence on the U.S. For some time now, John Bull has failed to  sufficiently demonstrate he is willing to aspire to be anything other than an American client state.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 06:15:47 PM »

This, I think, is much worse for the UK than the US.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 07:09:10 PM »

I actually wonder why the UK hasn't been able to develop it's own industry. It has alot of good companies right ? rolls Royce. Shell. Unilever. Why can't it harness those companies ?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 07:38:23 PM »

Everything finds its own level.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 07:42:15 PM »

I actually wonder why the UK hasn't been able to develop it's own industry. It has alot of good companies right ? rolls Royce. Shell. Unilever. Why can't it harness those companies ?
They voted for the Tories for decades and were stupid enough to pass on the likes of Foot and Corbyn who would have fixed everything.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 07:46:31 PM »

This is not actually presently happening, for what it's worth.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 10:11:15 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2024, 10:17:31 PM by Ontario Tory »

If the article is describing a real phenomenon, I am not sure what the point of this is for the companies. Yes UK wages are lower, but UK workers are also less productive. They would benefit from a reduction of costs but also suffer from a roughly equal loss of output? (Though I am not sure if and how remote work affects the difference in productivity)

Also, if companies are so desperate for wages, why go all the way across the ocean to the UK? Why not hire Canadian workers, whose wages are also lower than those of Americans?
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 11:48:33 PM »

Idk if I’d say “good,” but they’re reaping what they sowed in 2016.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 12:03:02 AM »

Brexit was good actually. Getting out of that Nietzschean monstrosity was the only wise electoral choice Great Britian made in decades. Their real sowing was with the election of Margaret Thatcher.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 12:40:50 AM »

You know how American management has a reputation for being short sighted? Well British management have a reputation for that even more so, while also having a reputation for incompetence.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 06:50:14 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 07:16:22 AM »

Brexit was good actually

It really absolutely was not - and I am far from a starry eyed #FBPEer.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 10:16:37 AM »

Also, if companies are so desperate for wages, why go all the way across the ocean to the UK? Why not hire Canadian workers, whose wages are also lower than those of Americans?

They do. The tech sector in Toronto now has more jobs than the Bay Area. But it's entirely due to outsourcing by US-based tech giants. The only local champion I could think of is Shopify.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 11:09:23 AM »

I remember watching an old video of a debate on American civil rights from the mid-1960s, which took place in the UK, in which one of the conservative speakers stated that the average Black American has a higher average income than the average White Brit.

This is nothing new.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 11:47:27 AM »

They do. The tech sector in Toronto now has more jobs than the Bay Area. But it's entirely due to outsourcing by US-based tech giants. The only local champion I could think of is Shopify.

Our very high and currently rising unemployment rate suggests otherwise.

I'm sure there is some outsourcing to Canada but why isn't there more job growth here?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 02:16:57 PM »

I remember watching an old video of a debate on American civil rights from the mid-1960s, which took place in the UK, in which one of the conservative speakers stated that the average Black American has a higher average income than the average White Brit.

This is nothing new.

That's true.

If Britain had free movement with America everyone would leave like it was 1850, since there wouldn't be a language or culture barrier.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »

Brexit was good actually

The current horror show would not have happened if northerners turned out for Corbyn. McDonald should have been the candidate instead to reach out to these voters, as Corbyn’s personality is weak for these voters, but that still doesn’t change the fact that the decades of Tory and blairite rule destroyed Britain and voters should have known better.

The re-entrance to the EU by Starmer will be his first major crime against the masses.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2024, 05:01:27 PM »

Our very high and currently rising unemployment rate suggests otherwise.

I'm sure there is some outsourcing to Canada but why isn't there more job growth here?

No company can access financing due to the corrupt Bank of Canada keeping interest rates artificially high.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 07:09:49 AM »

Adjust the wage disparity to PPP and it is not that big of a difference.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2024, 10:10:08 AM »

Brexit was good actually

The current horror show would not have happened if northerners turned out for Corbyn. McDonald should have been the candidate instead to reach out to these voters, as Corbyn’s personality is weak for these voters, but that still doesn’t change the fact that the decades of Tory and blairite rule destroyed Britain and voters should have known better.

The re-entrance to the EU by Starmer will be his first major crime against the masses.

Andy McDonald is a nice guy, but never really leadership material.....

Oh, you meant John Mc*Donnell*??

Sadly, his remarks about the IRA back in the day meant he would never even have got on the ballot.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 07:02:11 AM »

If work can be done remotely then why pay someone higher wages here ? One of the dumbest movements in recent history to start demanding full remote work.

The blame seems misplaced to me. Corporate obsession with control might have allowed hybrid work to last a tiny bit longer, but sooner or later they'd realize that there is no benefit whatsoever to having workers in an office when they can do the same thing remotely. At most they might've bought themselves a year or two.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies