The Deaths of Effective Altruism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:46:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Deaths of Effective Altruism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Deaths of Effective Altruism  (Read 281 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2024, 12:50:06 PM »

Interesting read in Wired. What do y'all think?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 06:37:50 PM »

I find it very on-point that the author describes a childhood full of Vulcans because the concept reflects what I call a Star Trek view of reality: the notion that there is a reliable and automatic expertise that tells us what is happening and how to solve any situation. It's hard for people who exist in that world to understand how challenging the problems in the third world can be, because the system promises to be a universal cipher for any conceivable issue. They are not unsolvable, but solving them requires a deep understanding of the culture and its dynamics. An understanding that even the best-intentioned philanthropists and aid-workers from upper-middle class Western countries don't have.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 07:05:29 PM »

Excellent article — thanks for sharing; I’m in almost full agreement with Wenar.

What is very interesting about effective altruism from a philosophical perspective is that it shows what consistent utilitarianism looks like when it is followed out to its logical conclusions; and this in turn shows, above all, how utilitarianism rests on an untenable picture of agency and responsibility. You almost have to have a begrudging respect for EAs being willing to accept the radical implications that so many utilitarians have historically shied away from, instead devoting an enormous amount of time to showing how in fact utilitarianism simply supports common-sense morality.

Of course, as Wenar points out with several examples, many EAs themselves have been far from consistent in their behaviour. Above all, this seems to me to show how EA basically promotes an impossible picture of how to live a human life. And while several leading EAs seem like rather unsavoury characters, to put it mildly, Wenar is also correct that a lot of the younger rank-and-file do genuinely possess highly admirable motives; they are just very misguided in the outlet they have chosen for them. As usual, Bernard Williams put it best:

Quote from: A Critique of Utilitarianism, p. 150
The important issues that utilitarianism raises should be discussed in contexts more rewarding than that of utilitarianism itself.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 07:13:20 PM »

Excellent article — thanks for sharing; I’m in almost full agreement with Wenar.
I would like to echo those feelings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies