What lessons did you learn from 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:44:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What lessons did you learn from 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What lessons did you learn from 2022?  (Read 558 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2024, 11:51:47 PM »
« edited: March 29, 2024, 11:58:27 PM by Arizona Iced Tea »

For me:
1) The abortion issue is the closest thing to electoral poison to the GOP if they choose to talk about it.
2) "Polarization" is overrated, candiate quality remains more important than how a district/state votes on a presidential level.
3) Florida is much redder than we think.
4) Low turnout is now detrimental to the GOP's chances due to the new turnout coalitions.
5) "Voting record", is an overrated attack, voters will rate you based off how you behave and campaign, not your spreadsheet from the house floor.
6) Incumbency in house races is much more powerful than I expected.
7) Republicans will struggle massively to win general election races with "weird/unorthodox" (Masters/Walker/Oz tier) candidates.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 09:59:14 AM »

Trump's persisting appeal to the Republican base was/is underrated, but he's political thalidomide in a general election.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 10:40:05 AM »

Candidate quality is the key takeaway here. Take Georgia, which is famously one of the most inelastic states in the country. There was a ten-point difference between the gubernatorial and Senate race margins.

Second would be that I think the GOP is going to be hurting in non-presidential elections now with the new coalitions. Gone are the days where the GOP sweeps the swing states by double digits in a Democratic president's midterm.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 11:45:50 AM »

Largely agree with OP

With the polarization point, I think polarization is still huge, but perhaps 2020 was peak partisan polarization - ticket splitting seemed a bit better in 2022.

As for the turnout thing, it worked both ways imo, which is why we saw localized blue waves and red waves. In TX and NY for instance, turnout dynamics clearly favored Rs
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 04:14:55 AM »

For me:
1) The abortion issue is the closest thing to electoral poison to the GOP if they choose to talk about it.
2) "Polarization" is overrated, candiate quality remains more important than how a district/state votes on a presidential level.
3) Florida is much redder than we think.
4) Low turnout is now detrimental to the GOP's chances due to the new turnout coalitions.
5) "Voting record", is an overrated attack, voters will rate you based off how you behave and campaign, not your spreadsheet from the house floor.
6) Incumbency in house races is much more powerful than I expected.
7) Republicans will struggle massively to win general election races with "weird/unorthodox" (Masters/Walker/Oz tier) candidates.

u forgot the most important one that donald j trump is a cancer to our party
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 07:19:33 AM »

That, like in 2018, the two houses of Congress may go in different directions- that the Senate elections are different from House elections, and also that low presidential poll approval numbers might not be enough to guarantee massive waves for the president's opposition party.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 08:05:24 AM »

High turnout is here to stay. 
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 01:58:28 PM »

Second would be that I think the GOP is going to be hurting in non-presidential elections now with the new coalitions. Gone are the days where the GOP sweeps the swing states by double digits in a Democratic president's midterm.

This is my biggest takeaway. Ironically, by branding the Democrats the "elite party" the GOP have delivered them some of the most reliable and most useful voters. 2024 will be a different story because turnout should be relatively high.

But in low turnout elections almost everywhere until coalitions change, the Democrats have gained a kind of unexpected advantage
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 08:19:34 AM »

Florida is red, unless Democrats completely fail to show up, and then it’s very red.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 01:36:07 PM »

That's it's a blue wall Eday with Biden at 41% Approvals and Inflation is at 3%, like it is now
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies