Turkey local elections 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:11:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkey local elections 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Turkey local elections 2024  (Read 2494 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2024, 06:19:46 PM »

Created this thread as I haven't found one. The elections are on Sunday, 31 March 2024.

Anyone has any insights on how the campaign went and if Erdogan could lose more ground, compared with 2019, due to the economic crisis in Turkey?
icc
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 03:42:25 AM »

The opposition alliance has fractured, and there’s a danger that the AKP could gain a few municipalities (e.g. Antalya, Hatay) due to this. In terms of the two major prizes, the CHP look favoured to hold onto Ankara, whilst Istanbul will be a nailbiter. Imamoglu (CHP) has led the vast majority of recent polls, but by very small margins - a repeat of the unwelcome surprise in the Presidential election last year is certainly a possibility.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 10:22:19 AM »

The opposition alliance has fractured, and there’s a danger that the AKP could gain a few municipalities (e.g. Antalya, Hatay) due to this. In terms of the two major prizes, the CHP look favoured to hold onto Ankara, whilst Istanbul will be a nailbiter. Imamoglu (CHP) has led the vast majority of recent polls, but by very small margins - a repeat of the unwelcome surprise in the Presidential election last year is certainly a possibility.

Thanks for the insight. Smiley The Turkish wiki page has a good summary of opinion polls by city:

2024 Türkiye yerel seçimleri için yapılan anketler
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 07:33:31 PM »

Why is the AKP far more competitive in Urban areas than most right wing parties?
icc
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 08:18:11 PM »

Why is the AKP far more competitive in Urban areas than most right wing parties?
Well, firstly, it isn’t. The Republicans are not ‘most right wing parties’, and are in fact exceptional in their lack of appeal to urban dwellers (obviously also an artefact of the US’s particular demographics).

When it comes to Turkey more specifically, I’d look at the general patterns of who votes AKP / CHP / HDP (or whatever Kurdish party is currently allowable). Once you control for those demographics, the city by city results become fairly comprehensible.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:31 PM »

Well, firstly, it isn’t. The Republicans are not ‘most right wing parties’, and are in fact exceptional in their lack of appeal to urban dwellers (obviously also an artefact of the US’s particular demographics).

When it comes to Turkey more specifically, I’d look at the general patterns of who votes AKP / CHP / HDP (or whatever Kurdish party is currently allowable). Once you control for those demographics, the city by city results become fairly comprehensible.

Also, when we discuss urban areas, Istanbul too large to ignore. Something like 15.5 Million or a little under 20% of the national population, the largest urban area by far in Europe. The City (reminder some historical groups called it that cause nothing compared) has always been a magnet for economic power, which has always attracted internal migrants. This makes Istanbul a massive snapshot of the entire country, with many different communities in many different neighborhoods. That is not like most cities, even other centralizing ones like London.
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 12:51:35 AM »

Also, when we discuss urban areas, Istanbul too large to ignore. Something like 15.5 Million or a little under 20% of the national population, the largest urban area by far in Europe. The City (reminder some historical groups called it that cause nothing compared) has always been a magnet for economic power, which has always attracted internal migrants. This makes Istanbul a massive snapshot of the entire country, with many different communities in many different neighborhoods. That is not like most cities, even other centralizing ones like London.

Accurate.

Also, I would pay no mind to the polls, they are all extremely inaccurate and only reflect the wishes of the parties they are paid by.

Voting for Ekrem İmamoğlu, CHP for district mayor, and TİP for district council.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 11:09:24 AM »

Results becoming to come through: https://www.yenisafak.com/en/yerel-secim-2024/secim-sonuclari
Logical

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 11:18:22 AM »

Stronger than expected results for CHP. Perhaps the Sultan must delay his retirement.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 11:29:16 AM »

Looking good for them ATM, but still early.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 12:03:02 PM »

With 22% counted the CHP are actually leading nationally. The Welfare Party are doing relatively well, which is hurting the AKP.
Logical

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 12:25:17 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2024, 12:58:45 PM by Logical »

Shockingly good victory for CHP. They've decisively beaten the AKP in major metros. They're winning in very conservative interior Anatolian provinces like Adiyaman, Kilis and Kirikkale. Was kicking out the Alevi all they needed to do to start winning again?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 01:42:15 PM »

47.6% in, looking like a smashing victory for the opposition. Istanbul currently delivering İmamoğlu a 9-point margin that looks likely to stay steady as the current returns are mixed between pro-opposition and pro-AKP areas.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 01:59:46 PM »

52.72% counted:

37.8% CHP
36.8% AKP
  5.9% Dem Parti
  5.3% RP
  3.8% MHP
  3.3% IYI Parti
  7.1% Others

These results are beyond surprising. Wow!!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 02:28:10 PM »

Shockingly good victory for CHP. They've decisively beaten the AKP in major metros. They're winning in very conservative interior Anatolian provinces like Adiyaman, Kilis and Kirikkale. Was kicking out the Alevi all they needed to do to start winning again?

I would say there's two specific factors at play, perhaps just one, but more likely some combination of the two.

First, it's no secret that there was 'fudging' when it comes to the national government election, with actions that would be illegal in many countries boosting the AKP. Maybe not direct ballot box stuffing,  but certainly a hostile environment for the Opposition. Such a situation is is not replicable for these contests. So one might say this result is closer to a free and fair uninfluenced measurement of the country.

Second, when a strongman leader has been in power for a long time,  their brand can easily separate from their party's image. As long as the strongman maintains appearances they could remain popular even as their government isn't.  Modi is another example of how he carries the BJP nationally way above the 50-50 or worse suggested by local elections. So in this situation,  Erdogan announcing his eventual retirement really did dynamite the AKPs electoral foundation. 

Also I suspect just general off-year things,  when certain voters have more motivation than others.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 02:44:09 PM »

The CHP have just taken the lead in Hatay with 60% counted, which was thought to be a dead cert AKP gain.
Logical

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 02:48:29 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2024, 03:14:58 PM by Logical »

Aksener finally resigns as IYI leader after an embarrassing performance. Ultranationalists of all stripes (MHP and its offshoots) did poorly tonight.
This election offers a glimpse of what post-Erdogan politics may look like. The ultranationalists will likely continue to decline, in its place hardline Islamists (YRP, HÜDA PAR) have grown. Future Presidential elections will be determined by how the Kurds and hardline Islamists swing.
Finally, the results validate my belief that Imamoglu would've won in 2023 (at least if the results weren't fudged).
icc
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 02:51:25 PM »

Aksener finally resigns as IYI leader after an embarrassing performance. Ultranationalists of all stripes (MHP and it's offshoots) did poorly tonight.
This election offers a glimpse of what post-Erdogan politics may look like. The ultranationalists will likely continue to decline, in its place hardline Islamists (YRP, HÜDA PAR) have grown. Future Presidential elections will be determined by how the Kurds and hardline Islamists swing.
Finally, the results validate my belief that Imamoglu would've won in 2023.
It seems to me that MHP are doing alright?
Logical

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 03:14:32 PM »

Aksener finally resigns as IYI leader after an embarrassing performance. Ultranationalists of all stripes (MHP and it's offshoots) did poorly tonight.
Their vote has halved. From 7.3% to 3.6%.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2024, 03:58:38 PM »

why is New Welfare/Y Refah not included in the People's Alliance on the "electoral alliance" page? Everything I see says they're part of it.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 04:03:54 PM »

Logical

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 04:05:39 PM »

why is New Welfare/Y Refah not included in the People's Alliance on the "electoral alliance" page? Everything I see says they're part of it.
Because they quit the Alliance and are running on their own. They attack Erdogan from the right and use the I/P conflict as a rallying issue.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »

Because they quit the Alliance and are running on their own. They attack Erdogan from the right and use the I/P conflict as a rallying issue.
I guess Wikipedia hasn't updated on that then.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 04:39:06 PM »

Their vote has halved. From 7.3% to 3.6%.
Interesting - from skimming the results I got the feeling they were holding up better than the AKP.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 04:55:49 PM »

Aksener finally resigns as IYI leader after an embarrassing performance. Ultranationalists of all stripes (MHP and its offshoots) did poorly tonight.
Finally, the results validate my belief that Imamoglu would've won in 2023 (at least if the results weren't fudged).
what?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies