Establishment of Advertisment Currency Bill [Withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Establishment of Advertisment Currency Bill [Withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Establishment of Advertisment Currency Bill [Withdrawn]  (Read 1073 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2007, 03:26:49 AM »
« edited: June 18, 2007, 05:53:51 PM by Ebowed »

Establishment of Advertisment Currency Bill

1. The Republic of Atlasia will now allow for businesses to pay for advertisment on the back of Atlasia quarters
2. The advertising will be bid on at the beginning of the fiscal year
3. The business must purchase at least 5,000 quarters
4. A quota of 100,000 advertising quarters may be minted each year

Sponsor: Sen. DownWithDaLeft
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:46:13 AM »

Though I've made my views on this bill known, I'll reiterate them here.

I don't feel it is appropriate, or respectful to have advertisements on the back of our legal tender.  Firstly, these auctions would be hugely biased in favor in richer businesses-- namely corporations.  I think it is fair to say that corporations have enough power as it is.  I think this would also be an unfair influence on children who pick up money and are persuaded to buy whatever is on the back of their coin.  Also, remember that people are stupid and might assume that the coins are some sort of coupon or token in favor of the product being advertised on the back, instead of the plainly stated value elsewhere on the coin.  Unnecessarily confusing for the less perceptive among us.

I also feel that it is very demeaning to have our own money be used to advertise products or businesses.

The bill itself is also vague and not suitable to be passed, not to mention there are no restrictions on what exactly can be advertised on these coins-- though such restrictions would be arbitrary and it would be best to avoid such a debate by not having to deal with this proposal at all.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:24:54 PM »

This is the worst yet.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:35:31 PM »

Besides the points made previously, the number of coins to be minted is absurdly small even if it were a good idea.  Almost 3 billion quarters were minted in 2006.  Even the now rarely seen half dollar had over 4 million minted, albeit most but not all of those went into mint sets.  Individual coin dies routinely last around 100,000 coins nowadays before they need replacing.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »

Any support or should I withdraw it?  My idea was brought on by the recent Silver Surfer coins that were deemed illegal and it seemed like a good way to make revenue
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:35:29 PM »

Please withdraw.  This is horrible.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »

I will withdraw the bill, however, TN's comments make me want it to stay.  I really have done nothing wrong other than an occassional abrasiveness.  I have never left a bill to fail miserably that had 0 support from the beginning.

I also find it hypocritical for TN to criticize when he proposed 1! bill during his whole time in the senate and it was deemed frivolous
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 12:01:45 AM »

I will withdraw the bill, however, TN's comments make me want it to stay.  I really have done nothing wrong other than an occassional abrasiveness.  I have never left a bill to fail miserably that had 0 support from the beginning.

I also find it hypocritical for TN to criticize when he proposed 1! bill during his whole time in the senate and it was deemed frivolous

That's not important, it was a joke and never meant to make it to the floor, your bills are just plain stupid, you need some help if you actually conisder this stuff viable.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »

That's not important, it was a joke and never meant to make it to the floor, your bills are just plain stupid, you need some help if you actually conisder this stuff viable.

This bill was a good idea, it was just not that plausible.  Had I have thought of a better way to limit what was on the coins, it could have been passed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies