What could be the “surprise” of this election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What could be the “surprise” of this election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What could be the “surprise” of this election  (Read 1482 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:07:27 PM »

In 2016 atp nobody expected Trump to win by flipping the rust belt

In 2020 atp nobody expected Georgia to be won by Biden much less vote to the left of Florida/NC.

What could be the “surprise” of this cycle?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 12:28:30 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2024, 12:33:09 PM by 7,052,770 »

I'm not predicting this, but Biden winning Florida is a candidate for a "surprise" result, something that no one sees coming at the time but kinda makes sense in hindsight like your 2020 and 2016 examples.

They voted for Biden to be VP twice, and it's not like Trump won it handily either time. Plus they're in the 6 year itch of a divisive and controversial governor who just majorly flopped on the national scene. And the demographics where Biden has improved the most in "polls" (who knows how valid those are) seems to be Jews and white seniors. Finally, the Florida Democratic Party has hit rock bottom and will have to start improving by default because they can't possibly sink any lower.

I think Trump still probably takes it, but it's not hard to plot out a scenario for Biden
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 12:33:04 PM »

Nevada.  It is pretty unpredictable right now how this state will actually vote.  And when it does vote (for either side) it will be considered a "surprise".
mjba257
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 12:42:42 PM »

Possible contenders:
- RFK winning a state
- MN flipping red
- Biden winning NC
- A substantial rightward swing in a blue state (like CA, NY, NJ, IL)
- RFK getting over 10% in the NPV
- No candidate gets to 270
- Election comes down to one state being decided by an astronomically close margin (a la 2000)
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 12:56:52 PM »

Kennedy wins. During his victory speech be rips off his face revealing Hillary Clinton underneath. She laughs maniacally as the glass ceiling shatters and she floats like Baron Harkonnen over the planet she now rules.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 12:58:21 PM »

Biden flipping NC but losing GA
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 12:58:21 PM »

Biden refusing to concede and supporting an electoral challenge after losing to Trump.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 01:07:15 PM »

In favor of Republicans: NY and NJ are high single digit races

In favor of Democrats: Texas is within 3 points (it swung more left than the country in 2020)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 01:12:48 PM »

Probably an unexpectedly good performance for Biden in Arizona, even as he does worse nationwide than in 2020.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:21 PM »

Trump wins the popular vote.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 01:19:37 PM »

Another possible surprise in favor of Democrats: voters of Eastern European descent who are conservative swing away from Trump because he sucks up to Putin and wants Putin to conquer Ukraine
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 01:20:04 PM »

Lol Rs haven't won the popular vote since 2004 in a Prez Eday obviously, NC was expected to move right and so is FL but Debbie Powell and NC are very close.

Steve Konaki said NC and FL are still swing states, I am keeping an eye out in FL Debbie Powell is only 3 down this was the same place Christ was at before IAN against DeSantis
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 01:27:49 PM »

Biden refusing to concede and supporting an electoral challenge after losing to Trump.
This is underrated honestly especially if the race is very close. I don't think they will do something on Jan 6 but I could see his team meeting with electors to throw it to the house and try to select a non-Trump Republican rather than reinstate Biden.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 01:45:36 PM »

This is underrated honestly especially if the race is very close. I don't think they will do something on Jan 6 but I could see his team meeting with electors to throw it to the house and try to select a non-Trump Republican rather than reinstate Biden.

More likely Democrats will just parrot their favorite lines since forever (i.e., "election interference! voter suppression!") as the rationale for challenging Trump's legal win.  Of course, the mainstream media and red avatar mafia will put in overtime saying It's (D)ifferent!

How serious it gets depends on how close the results are otherwise.  Trump's win coming down to less than 5k-10k votes in a single state is close enough that a D House may actually reject his victory.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 01:48:15 PM »

More likely Democrats will just parrot their favorite lines since forever (i.e., "election interference! voter suppression!") as the rationale for challenging Trump's legal win.  Of course, the mainstream media and red avatar mafia will put in overtime saying It's (D)ifferent!

How serious it gets depends on how close the results are otherwise.  Trump's win coming down to less than 5k-10k votes in a single state is close enough that a D House may actually reject his victory.

Boy oh boy that sure would be bad if it happened the way you imagined it. If only we had a real-life example of something like this occurring for you to get mad about instead
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 02:29:19 PM »

Another pandemic?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 02:37:28 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2024, 02:42:30 PM by Fmr. Pres. Duke »

More likely Democrats will just parrot their favorite lines since forever (i.e., "election interference! voter suppression!") as the rationale for challenging Trump's legal win.  Of course, the mainstream media and red avatar mafia will put in overtime saying It's (D)ifferent!

How serious it gets depends on how close the results are otherwise.  Trump's win coming down to less than 5k-10k votes in a single state is close enough that a D House may actually reject his victory.

The projection is strong in this exchange! Excellent trolling you two. Bravo!
forza nocta

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 02:47:15 PM »

Biden winning Texas, Florida and Alaska
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 03:18:24 PM »

1. One of the candidates is revealed to have concealed a health condition.
2. Eagleton-esque VP switchout becomes necessary after Trump announces his running mage.
3. Harris gets ahead of her skis (most likely on Israel) and the drama between her camp and Biden's becomes at least somewhat public.
4. One of the candidates is hospitalized for multiple nights.
5. Trump's SPAC is revealed to have direct financial ties to the CCP.
6. Some group of prominent Republicans who have remained aligned with Trump until now are pushed over the edge and unendorse the ticket.
7. Foreign policy crisis has a significant effect on the race. Take your pick: Israel invades Lebanon, China shoots more than water cannons at Filipino ships, Russia does something especially provocative to a Baltic NATO ally, a significant terrorist attack happens on US soil or targeting Americans elsewhere, etc.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 04:15:11 PM »

Trump winning Minnesota or New Hampshire. I don't think Nevada would be such a huge surprise. And of course Biden winning Texas.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 04:20:06 PM »

Kennedy wins. During his victory speech be rips off his face revealing Hillary Clinton underneath. She laughs maniacally as the glass ceiling shatters and she floats like Baron Harkonnen over the planet she now rules.

I would be okay with that.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 05:24:55 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2024, 10:50:23 PM by Mechavada »

Not sure if this is a "surprise" per se but whoever loses will cry like a little bitch about the election being stolen.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 08:17:10 PM »

NC votes left of AZ, NV and GA
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 08:21:09 PM »

Finally someone said this lol, this is what I had in mind+WI (though I don’t think this will happen)
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 08:31:38 PM »

NC votes to the left of NV or MI.
Trump wins OH around 5%
Alaska trends right thanks to Kennedy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies