Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:52:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses  (Read 3667 times)
Epaminondas

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2024, 02:44:54 PM »

Does anyone know: what the Hell is that star under the bow of the ship, suppose to represent in this stupid cartoon?

Charitably, I see it as an amateurish way of representing a collision when the artist isn't skilled enough to depict motion.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2024, 07:18:50 AM »

Federal criminal investigation underway for Baltimore bridge collapse

The ship crash that destroyed the Baltimore Key Bridge and left several people dead is now under federal criminal investigation, according to a US official familiar with the matter.

The FBI and the US Coast Guard are leading the criminal investigation into the disaster and whether the crew failed to report an earlier issue with the vessel that delayed its departure, the official said.

The Washington Post first reported the investigation.

The bridge collapsed around 1:30 a.m. March 26 after a massive cargo ship called the Dali lost power and struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/15/us/francis-scott-key-bridge-investigation
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2024, 01:56:39 PM »

Crews tentatively expected to use explosives today to demolish part of Baltimore’s Key Bridge to free trapped cargo ship

Crews are expected to move forward Sunday with a plan to use small explosives to break apart a massive chunk of the Baltimore bridge that collapsed on a cargo ship six weeks ago, a day after poor weather conditions forced a delay.

Officials are tentatively scheduled to carry out the controlled demolition around 6 p.m., according to the US Coast Guard, which earlier said it would take place at 5 p.m. The operation was originally slated to take place Saturday, but officials on Friday announced it would be postponed due to an adverse weather forecast.

The planned demolition is aimed at helping officials remove debris and ultimately free the 213-million-pound Dali cargo ship, which veered off course March 26 and struck a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing it to fall into the water below. The collapse killed six construction workers and destroyed a key thoroughfare, threatening the economy at the Port of Baltimore.

Officials last week recovered the sixth and final body, allowing them to proceed with the plan to free the Dali. If the operation succeeds this weekend, the ship could be refloated and returned to the Port of Baltimore as soon as this week...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/12/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse-demolition-ship/index.html
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2024, 01:58:09 PM »

When is congress expected to approve funding for a new construction? I wonder whether some on the fringe right will try to make a political stunt with it. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2024, 08:10:56 PM »

When is congress expected to approve funding for a new construction? I wonder whether some on the fringe right will try to make a political stunt with it. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I predict that there will be a highly publicized name change of the bridge, which will provoke a "national discussion", a further "reckoning with our history", and more blathering and anger from the right.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2024, 11:03:31 PM »

I predict that there will be a highly publicized name change of the bridge, which will provoke a "national discussion", a further "reckoning with our history", and more blathering and anger from the right.
A name change would be ridiculous and rightfully criticized. Key wasn't even a confederate general or leader. If the guy who wrote the national anthem is considered controversial and deemed necessary to change then America is truly in collapse as this has historical significance. I hope the house blocks any funding to the bridge if its getting renamed.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2024, 11:50:05 PM »

A name change would be ridiculous and rightfully criticized. Key wasn't even a confederate general or leader. If the guy who wrote the national anthem is considered controversial and deemed necessary to change then America is truly in collapse as this has historical significance. I hope the house blocks any funding to the bridge if its getting renamed.

We both know it's going to be renamed dude. Look, you gotta accept reality. Those guys aren't our founders. We have new founders now, you know? Howard Stern called Biden one of the fathers of our country. It's what it is, man. You can roll with it, and keep your job and your home...Or not, and you know, end up on a list and lose all those things in the second term. Elections have consequences. People picking Trump in 2016 is going to continue to have consequences until your party falls in line.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2024, 11:54:20 PM »

He was a slaveowner. Like, that doesn't mean the bridge needs to be renamed, but talk of America being in collapse over the thought of someone renaming a bridge who's namesake's only contribution to offset the whole "owned slaves" thing was a song is an overreaction.
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2024, 08:10:30 PM »

You read it here first: the new bridge will be named after Baltimore native Barbara Mikulski.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2024, 02:09:53 AM »

You read it here first: the new bridge will be named after Baltimore native Barbara Mikulski.

What about John Waters?
Obama24
United States
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2024, 06:41:10 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/05/06/francis-scott-key-bridge-enslaver-name-change/

But in the meantime, activists and historians say it’s time to rethink the name of the 47-year-old bridge near the site where enslaver Francis Scott Key could have witnessed British ships bombing Fort McHenry in 1814, inspiring the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

Activists say it’s time to acknowledge the harm done by notable figures in U.S. history, including Key, who enslaved at least a dozen people, historians say. They have begun pressuring government officials and holding public meetings lobbying for the bridge’s name to be changed.

……

“I think that the name of the bridge should reflect the community of Baltimore and Maryland’s aspirations for where they want to go in the future,” Clague said. “So, I think it’s a completely reasonable question to ask, what should the name be in 2024?”
Added historian Marc Leepson, author of “What So Proudly We Hailed: Francis Scott Key, a Life”: “I think it’s a good idea to use someone else’s name who is more representative of the people of Maryland.”

The Caucus of African American Leaders is lobbying for the bridge to be renamed in honor of Parren J. Mitchell (D), Maryland’s first Black congressman.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2024, 03:56:08 PM »

The name of the bridge will not be changed. Nobody will remember that anyone even proposed it in a year's time.

The renaming crowd is far more successful when it comes to Confederates (Lee, Davis, etc.) or random nobodies who were later found to be terrible (The guy who had a street named after him in your town who was later found to be a rapist). They never really had much success when it came to renaming things named after notable Americans who did bad things as well (Key, Washington, Jefferson, etc.), and even that small amount peaked years ago now.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2024, 06:16:10 PM »

What about John Waters?

The late, great Hannibal Lecter is a wonderful man, as we were recently reminded.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies