Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:21:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses  (Read 2900 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2024, 06:27:03 PM »

I have been staring at this image for 3 minutes trying to extract some sort of meaning from it. Can someone who understands neo-nazi translate for me ?

The ship that hit the bridge was from Singapore.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2024, 06:35:32 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2024, 11:34:57 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

"And the rockets' red glare
B-bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our bridge was still there..."

Oops.

Kidding aside (I've laughed at the "P-Diddy blew up the bridge" memes), it's a massive hit to the Mid-Atlantic economy and transporation infrastructure plus the people that unfortunately died. As far as rebuilding to pull a number out of my backside I would think we're talking 5 years at a minimum, probably more like 8. If they have to do redesign instead of a pure rebuild it's going to be longer. There's going to be a pressing need to clean up the bay to allow the port to become functional again and that'll be first priority. Baltimore is going to lose their port for a period of time, and they're also going to lose residual economic effects from everyone that used that highway the bridge was on as well as the port as a central nexus.

As far as the federal government are going to pay full costs for this. We're not hitting up the ship's owner's insurance obligations on this, really? I know maritime shipping ownership and liability is opaque as hell on purpose, but seriously? I hope they're just planning to cover the upfront costs and then go after that aspect of it all later in a lawsuit that will roll on for years and probably get settled in the year 2036 or something.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2024, 11:52:34 PM »

"And the rockets' red glare
B-bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our bridge was still there..."

Oops.

Kidding aside (I've laughed at the "P-Diddy blew up the bridge" memes), it's a massive hit to the Mid-Atlantic economy and transporation infrastructure plus the people that unfortunately died. As far as rebuilding to pull a number out of my backside I would think we're talking 5 years at a minimum, probably more like 8. If they have to do redesign instead of a pure rebuild it's going to be longer. There's going to be a pressing need to clean up the bay to allow the port to become functional again and that'll be first priority. Baltimore is going to lose their port for a period of time, and they're also going to lose residual economic effects from everyone that used that highway the bridge was on as well as the port as a central nexus.

As far as the federal government are going to pay full costs for this. We're not hitting up the ship's owner's insurance obligations on this, really? I know maritime shipping ownership and liability is opaque as hell on purpose, but seriously? I hope they're just planning to cover the upfront costs and then go after that aspect of it all later in a lawsuit that will roll on for years and probably get settled in the year 2036 or something.

I think the economic hit will mostly be limited to Maryland and will be fairly minor in other states. Also the port should be up and running as soon as the debris is cleared out which shouldn’t take too long.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2024, 12:17:12 AM »

Now right wingers trying to make a conspiracy theory out of this - that it was an inside job.

I rarely say this but people like Catturd genuinely seem like crappy people who just want to stir the pot and cause chaos - unless they truly are just living in a constant bubble of fear and skepticism.

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2024, 01:04:56 AM »

Now right wingers trying to make a conspiracy theory out of this - that it was an inside job.

I rarely say this but people like Catturd genuinely seem like crappy people who just want to stir the pot and cause chaos - unless they truly are just living in a constant bubble of fear and skepticism.

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s worse about catturd. The fact that he’s saying this or the fact that people treat what he says as something that should be listened to (beyond just ridiculing him). He also just seems like the most unpleasant basement dweller imaginable.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2024, 02:14:48 AM »

This was a tragedy, but the reactions I'm seeing reflect poorly on our country. Some are making it worse than it appears while ignoring how much worse it could have been if authorities didn't act in a timely fashion. So much for #Backtheblue.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2024, 05:10:25 AM »

Overhead Footage

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4_-QO1xY3W/

Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2024, 07:25:00 AM »

This was a tragedy, but the reactions I'm seeing reflect poorly on our country. Some are making it worse than it appears while ignoring how much worse it could have been if authorities didn't act in a timely fashion. So much for #Backtheblue.

Welcome to the litigious Monday Morning Quarterback society that is 21st Century America.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2024, 07:29:45 AM »

I've also seen people on SM link this to "Leave the World Behind" which is a pretty good Obama executive produced apocalypse movie where one of the first disasters is a large ship crashing on the shore. I guess it was programming to get us used to the coming takeovers or something.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2024, 07:32:03 AM »

Visualizing the Baltimore Key Bridge collapse

In the early hours of Tuesday, a 984-foot container ship collided with a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland, causing the bridge to collapse. Six people are presumed dead.

Ship traffic through the Port of Baltimore — the 17th largest US port by total tonnage, or total weight of cargo entering and leaving the port, and fourth largest in the East Coast, according to 2021 data from the Bureau of Transportation — was suspended until further notice.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/us/visuals-maps-key-bridge-ship-collapse-dg/index.html

Lots of graphics and good info at the link.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2024, 09:48:26 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2024, 09:51:54 AM »

Is that video manipulated? It looks that way, though I'm not an expert on that.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:36 AM »

Is that video manipulated? It looks that way, though I'm not an expert on that.

It's definitely sped up at the beginning and then slowed down around the time of impact (watch the blinking red light on the left). Not sure if anything else has changed, but apart from the speed, it looks like the other recordings I've seen.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2024, 11:42:59 AM »

Ok that's actually good.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2024, 01:12:20 PM »

Appropriate attire for a highly qualified and super serious mayor giving an interview to national TV during his city's hour of crisis.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2024, 02:14:05 PM »

America's Greatest CartoonistTM weighs in:

At first I thought it might be a terror attack—maybe even a false flag. After all, Robert Kennedy Jr. was to announce his running mate. Biden’s team knows RFK Jr. will take more votes away from Joe than Trump. Maybe they planned a distraction. Or perhaps the crash was a way to pull eyes away from the launch of Trump’s stock—with the ticker of DJT. It flew up on Tuesday on its first day of trading and added several billion dollars more to Trump’s coffers. So much for Biden’s joke about Trump being ‘broke.’

Some people are saying it was most likely an accident and not a conspiracy. After all, accidents happen. Yet the same people saying it was an accident are the same people that said the covid vaccine was ‘safe and effective’ and Hunter Biden’s laptop was Russian disinformation. This is a developing story so we will have to wait for more details.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2024, 02:18:18 PM »

Appropriate attire for a highly qualified and super serious mayor giving an interview to national TV during his city's hour of crisis.

A hoodie celebrating his city is pretty boss.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2024, 03:44:08 PM »

A hoodie celebrating his city is pretty boss.
The same attire that is worn by people that make Baltimore one of the most dangerous cities in the country isn't a good look honestly and plays into the stereotypes that he is "one of them". He should show some class and wear at least business casual.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2024, 04:07:02 PM »

He takes care of abused animals and currently is handling 13 rescues. I'm not saying your wrong per se but I will respect an animal lover in that regards.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2024, 04:16:07 PM »

Has anybody else seen these tweets? Gross stuff.

These sound like satirical jokes we would make, alas...

Not in 2024 it isn't. Sadly, the refrain of "Baltimore's mayor and most other politicians are black, so THAT'S what caused this bridge collapse, NOT (checks notes) the cargo freighter that crashed into it." Resonates deeply with about 45% of Americans today.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2024, 04:17:07 PM »

It's Baltimore...

Really? Their Mayor being black is some sort of conspiracy to the right?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2024, 04:20:10 PM »

The same attire that is worn by people that make Baltimore one of the most dangerous cities in the country isn't a good look honestly and plays into the stereotypes that he is "one of them". He should show some class and wear at least business casual.

I didn't realize George Zimmerman was a frequent poster on this board.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2024, 04:24:10 PM »

Wow. Why so triggered?  Huh

The same attire that is worn by people that make Baltimore one of the most dangerous cities in the country isn't a good look honestly and plays into the stereotypes that he is "one of them".

Oh, right.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2024, 07:47:37 PM »

Wow. Why so triggered?  Huh

I'm not 'triggered,' it's called ridicule
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2024, 08:58:17 PM »

He takes care of abused animals and currently is handling 13 rescues. I'm not saying your wrong per se but I will respect an animal lover in that regards.

This gets into an interestingly philosophical question - I remember reading about a serial killer who seemed like he was also a genuinely good family man to his wife and kids. Does the fact he did committed pure evil now make him a bad husband and father? Obviously this is an extreme example, but somebody can be a crappy person in one way still have certain good qualities. Someone having other good qualities doesn't mean we shouldn't call out someone's flaws.

Also I will concede I don't personally Catturd nor know his life circumstances - judging from the outside is often unfair, but just his rhetoric on twitter about how he talks about Dems and turns everything into a conspiracy theory is offputting for me at least.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies